1998 Cinquecento SX cuts out - maddad
Hi can anyone help with this problem ?
My car usually starts Ok and usually runs fine as long as you don't stop !
If you stop for 5 - 10 minutes or so, the car will sometimes not start unless you put your foot flat on the accelerator fault lights off at this stage. Then when it starts it idles rough with the red injector fault light on. Sometimes after running like that for a while the red injector fault warning light goes out and the car is Ok. Sometimes when driving (after a 10 min. stop) the car cuts out altogether and you have to put your foot flat on the accelerator to get it going again and the red injector fault light comes on, otherwise it will just eventually stop. Sometimes the red injector fault light does not go out when first starting the car from cold and it idles rough but you can drive it like that. I have "reset" the ECU a few times using the procedure in the Haynes manual. I have changed the following :-
Injector body top including choke stepper motor injector etc
Ignition coils, see below
TDC sensor, at one time it would not start at all until I changed this. The above fault appeared a long time (a few months) after I replaced the petrol tank filler pipe (complete assembly) and after replacing that, there was no pressure in the tank. Before pressure would build up in the petrol tank while driving, you could hear it escape when you took the petrol cap off. Dont know if thats significant, maybe just a coincidence. I have had a diagnostic test done, before all the ECU resets, but no fault showed UP !! any help appreciated thanks !
1998 Cinquecento SX cuts out - Another John H
The above fault appeared a long time (a few months) after I replaced the petrol
tank filler pipe (complete assembly) and after replacing that there was no pressure in the
tank. Before pressure would build up in the petrol tank while driving you could hear
it escape when you took the petrol cap off. Dont know if thats significant maybe
just a coincidence. I have had a diagnostic test done before all the ECU resets
but no fault showed UP !! any help appreciated thanks !

There should be pressure in the tank - a "whoosh!" when you open the filler is normal, and expected at MOT time.

But quite how this fits in with your fault I couldn't argue.
1998 Cinquecento SX cuts out - maddad
Hi John, thanks for the reply, have to keep looking I suppose
1998 Cinquecento SX cuts out - bell boy

does valve work in innerwing that vents fumes to the charcoal cannister/see if you can hear CLICK it when you turn ignition OFF