Chrysler Neon Auto - John Kent
Would you recommend the purchase of the Chrysler Neon Auto as a reliable automatic? If not what is the best alternative of similar spec and price?
Re: Chrysler Neon Auto - Richard Turpin
I recently sold a 97 R one of these, auto with air 54,000 miles and full main dealer history. After a long struggle I managed to get just £2,500. A bargain! The book price was about £4000. They are reliable but not particularly modern despite the hideous looks.
Re: Chrysler Neon Auto - Andy Bairsto
Reliable and cheap.People pay a fortune for the PT cruiser which is a Neon with another body
Re: Chrysler Neon Auto - Richard Turpin
HJ, no it was dark green and immaculate. Now my mother wants a cheap auto. I should have kept the Neon.
Re: Chrysler Neon Auto - John S
John

Drove one on rent in the States a couple of years back. Not perticularly impressed. Outdated 3-speed auto, engine doesn't feel like a modern European unit and is noisy when pushed and, even allowing for the US gallon, not good on fuel. Basically, they are a very cheap car out there, and are being sold above their market here. As has been said, not a modern car (they'd been sold in the US for several years before they came here) and this is probably reflected in second-hand prices. Definitely try before you buy.

Regards

John
Re: Chrysler Neon Auto - Honest John
Neons now have a 4-speed auto, but it didn't come in straight away with the current body shape. PT Cruisers always had 4-speeders. Have had readers report total transmission failure with the old wide-ratio three speeder and, with no ready supply of 2nd hand units, you're forced to pay dealer price for a new box. Hey Richard, was your Neon auto the black one sold at Blackbushe about a month ago?

HJ
Re: Chrysler Neon Auto - terryb
Had one as a courtesy car the other day. Struck me as pretty bland but reasonably capable. Can't comment on reliability.

Hideously uncomfortable and a bit sluggish after the upright drive of the Grand Cherokee though - joints (mine) objected to bending low enough to climb in! But there's no doubt you get a fair bit of car for your money.