Buying a Mini Cooper - Any suggestions? - Sunny22
Right then, i'm in the mood for treating myself and i'm fed up of being practical! So i'm buying a Mini Cooper (Would have been a Cooper S until i got the insurance quote lol!)

Saw one at auction today, had all the kit on Chilli Pack, big wheels, 15k, dark blue with a black and white roof and mirrors, looked quite funky actually! and very clean, bodywork was fine! Provisional at £8700 so about £9000 once all the fee's have been paid. Find out tommorowif its a deal.

Its got the slightly updated interior according to the car-by-car breakdown, 3 spoke leather steering wheel, but is there anything i should check out and look out for? All you guys seem to know ya stuff...

Cheers in advance for ya replies...
Buying a Mini Cooper - Any suggestions? - Vansboy
Probably too short notice, but if you can get to BCA Bridgewater auction, tomorrow, you'll have choice of a dozen, or so Coopers.

It's a BMW 'open' sale, so public can bid n buy a bargain (or not)!

These special sales do offer the widest choice of as genuine car, as you'll find, with a few to pick n choose from.

VB
Buying a Mini Cooper - Any suggestions? - Aprilia
Best to check out a car before you bid!

They are not bad little motors, and no major defects really, although fall well short of the hype IMHO. Uncomfortable for long journeys and tend to creak and rattle a bit as they age. Really they are a lifestyle/fashion car and if that's what you want then you'll put up with a lot to get it (bit like women who wear stilleto shoes really....).
Checked it out pretty well today, not many times you can do that at auction. I have signed upto the auction veiw, its pretty good. But ended up at a Manheim auction today and have to say was impressed... I just want something fun, but doesnt kill me on insurance and fuel... I'll let you know how i get on.
Buying a Mini Cooper - Any suggestions? - Westpig
mate bought one from new a while back and had it with the bigger wheels...

it looked the dog's danglies....but the ride was stupidly hard.

At first he put up with it and accepted the handling/ride compromise, but in the end it had to go

would strongly advise driving one with smaller wheels and comparing one with the bigger wheels, because although you accept a handling car will have a harsh ride, there is a limit to that philosophy.....and IMHO the big wheels are too much
Buying a Mini Cooper - Any suggestions? - Citroënian {P}
The biggest variation in the mini cost is the optional extras. iirc an s could cost you £14,500 or £25,000 depnding on the boxes you tick.

one thing to have is tlc, free servicing up to 50,000 miles.

we loved our mini but the fabia that replaced it did more or less the same job, drinking less and being less lairy in the corners. but minis are all about image and if you want that not much competes.

go on, jump in!!

i always recommend www.mini2.com , lots of obsessive enthusiast help over there
-- Biggedy biggedy bong
>>big wheels

HJ recommended no bigger than 16s, that is what we had on sport - note not sport plus suspension, both were options on a chili - ours was a little firm but good overall.
-- Biggedy biggedy bong
This has the 17" cooper s wheels which i probably will change to the new style wheels but thats for later, if i get it that is! What do you guys reckon on the price? One thing i'm not sure is if its got air con or not, oh and the sports suspension plus, is this standard on any with the chilli pack?
Someone on MINI2 might know how to tell the difference between sport and sport plus by looking, I wouldn't have a clue!

My view, and I don't know much about it! is that if it's => 2004, 15k and proper chili pack (half leather interior) it's not a bad price. You could try and find similar models on mini.co.uk or autotrader (link on left) or get a value from glass's (link on left) if you want more informed assurance!!

There's a lot of people flogging alloys on ebay and mini2, be careful if the tread's gone on the 17s. they'll be run flats and pretty expensive to replace.

-- Biggedy biggedy bong
Buying a Mini Cooper - Any suggestions? - jacks
Best to check out a car before you bid!
They are not bad little motors and no major defects really although fall well short
of the hype IMHO. Uncomfortable for long journeys and tend to creak and rattle a
bit as they age. Really they are a lifestyle/fashion car and if that's what you
want then you'll put up with a lot to get it (bit like women who
wear stilleto shoes really....).

>>

I can second this, my wife has one and loves it, I'm not so smitten ....plus points are that it's been very reliable, good to drive (over short to medium distances), not cost very much and - of course - still looks fresh and as good as when we bought it in June 2003.

In that time (milesge so far 44k) it has had only one fault - rear wheel bearing went & on this car you need a new hub- £190 fitted) , our car is on 15 inch alloys and is the MINI ONE so no sports suspension and I would not want to drive one with larger wheels/sports suspension as I think it would be much too firm & uncomfortable.

negative points are: the engine is quite harsh and not at all BMW -like, fuel consumption is poor at around 30mpg, and it has started to rattle and it is very cramped inside - only a 2 seater or very occaisional 4. My g/box has also started to feel like it might give trouble - difficult to select reverse sometimes. i've changed the g/box oil but no improvement. I believe the g/box was changed to a modified type/different manufacturer in 2004 so leter ones may be better.

verdict - strip away the style and looks and it's expensive for what you actually get.

by the way - I'm over 50 so please treat these ramblings as those you would expect from a miserable old git!

Regards

Jacks
Haha I'll let you off jacks! I've had a look on the trader n even ebay and there isnt nothing with them miles and that kit for that price. Fingers crossed though for tommorow. Going to check out that website now!
Buying a Mini Cooper - Any suggestions? - Mad Maxy
I've had two MINIs - 52 reg Cooper and now 05 reg Cooper S. Haven't experienced any problems. Facelift (some 04, all 54 reg cars on) are better than the originals. Interior can be a bit creaky. MINI is genuinely fun to drive. Both mine had/have 'sport-plus' suspension; sure, ride is hard, but IMO that's all part of the character. Doesn't bother me in the slightest. I've done plenty of long runs - I've found very comfortable; in fact it feels a nicely grown-up car.

Re those who say the car is a fashion/lifestyle statement, then the car is clearly not for them. It takes three adults or two adults and two kids OK. Sure, the boot is small, but you accept it if you're prepared to. My only gripes with my Cooper S is that occasionally I can occasionally creaking from the rear seat on the LHS, and the brakes have a poor feel (the Cooper was good). Otherwise it's a good car to own and drive.

MM (age 54)
Just my luck, didnt get the car! I went for £9000+ and then dealing charges on top of that soooo... Will keep looking. Thinking abot signing up to the Manheim Website, anyone had any experience with it? Just that i was very impressed with the place when i went yesterday.
Right, thought i'd dig this topic out. Found another Mini, fully loaded 54plate with 21k on the clock. Its got no air con thought or panoramic roof £10200? Its got the TLC thing and chilli pack and also still has 6 months warranty... Whats peoples thoughts?
Buying a Mini Cooper - Any suggestions? - retgwte
why not just buy a suzuki swift sport new?
Buying a Mini Cooper - Any suggestions? - Aprilia

I'd be inclined to agree. Can't see the attraction of a 2-1/2 year old Mini with no air-con at over £10k....
Buying a Mini Cooper - Any suggestions? - Marc
Can hardly be fully loaded with no air con - or is it a convertible?

It would have to be really cheap as you may struggle to sell it on...
Buying a Mini Cooper - Any suggestions? - nick
A mate of mine has one and has had a lot of trouble with the front and rear screen seals leaking so check for signs of dampness. He's not impressed with the build quality and although it's fun to drive, he won't be getting another.
Buying a Mini Cooper - Any suggestions? - flunky

Or a 5-month old 207 GT

tinyurl.com/2yonn9

Nicer car IMO
Nicer car IMO

i.e. better acceleration, good handling, more power (based on slightly downtuned Cooper S engine), panoramic roof, dual climate control, upgraded cd player, automatic lights/wipers, trip computer, full electric windows, 17" wheels, etc
Buying a Mini Cooper - Any suggestions? - Xileno {P}
Mini shows that with brilliant marketing, an average product will sell.
Buying a Mini Cooper - Any suggestions? - retgwte
id rather have a suzuki swift sport than any new fully specd mini

against an old mini its seems no competition

Basically i just want a mini... The one i have seen doesnt have air con or panoramic roof, will that make it that much harder to sell on at a later date?
Buying a Mini Cooper - Any suggestions? - RaineMan
Can I assume you have had a decent test drive of one? I tried one once and found it short on headroom! A friend brought a new car 'off brochure', found he hated it and traded it in six weeks later for the model he had owned previously. The initial depreciation was eye watering!
Buying a Mini Cooper - Any suggestions? - Brian Tryzers
I reckon anything without AC is going to be a hard sell later - although sell it in November and you might have a chance. Don't think I've ever seen one with a glass roof, which suggests you'll be better off without it too.
I think the best-looking ones are in red or blue with the roof painted white, but you'll probably find as many opinions on that as there are toes in the Back Room. I saw one today in middle-management metallic sage green, which might have suited a Passat but looked bizarrely sensible on a Mini.
Buying a Mini Cooper - Any suggestions? - storme
dont buy yellow....the dealership and top gear both said they are worth £1000 less
check the dashboard for rattles...the newer ones are 2/3 piece and the older ones are 7 pieces(told by bmw test engineer)

check the window regulators for rattles and make sure the windows dont try to pull out at speed!!

keep the "normal" sized wheel..dont get the large 17" wheels it'll rattle your fillings out

--
sometimes a little bit too much opinion....but its only because i care !!!
dont buy yellow....the dealership and top gear both said they are worth £1000 less

surely a good thing if buying second hand, you get the same car cheaper.
Buying a Mini Cooper - Any suggestions? - storme
i wouldn't like it..but some other people would.That's why i mentioned it...as this is the discussion side of the Back Room :-)

--
sometimes a little bit too much opinion....but its only because i care !!!

Duplicated post deleted, that was too much opinion ! :-) - PU