Rover Streetwise- - Frank01
I drive a Rover Streetwise 2.0 TD and the water level has dropped and needs to be topped up. Considering the problems that Rover had with overheating is there any recommended antifreeze or do I simply to up the resevoir with water till the next service.
The car is now seviced at Halfords and runs very well but I am a bit worried given the demise of Rover. Can anyone recommend a suitable alternative regarding servicing or am I getting a bit paranoid?
Rover Streetwise- - tanvir
Some people say water is better that antifreeze in summer. Whether theyre right or not i dont know. Rovers problems with overheating only applies to the K-series of engine, yours is an L-series... which are sturdy old units
Rover Streetwise- - Dynamic Dave
Some people say water is better that antifreeze in summer.

Antifreeze also contains corrosion inhibitors. It's needed all year around, otherwise the inside of your engine will soon resemble that of a kettle. It's not just needed to prevent freezing up during winter.
Rover Streetwise- - Bagpuss
I drive a Rover Streetwise 2.0 TD

You don't live in Moscow do you? Only it's the only place I've ever actually seen a Streetwise in the metal.
Rover Streetwise- - Civic8
>>You don't live in Moscow do you? Only it's the only place I've ever actually seen a Streetwise in the metal

A few around my area Bromley kent,but the L series does have head gasket problems occasionally,though not on the scale of the K-series
--
Steve
Rover Streetwise- - tanvir
The L-series has no more gasket failures than any other car. Although yes, the K-series pops them more than they should
Rover Streetwise- - kievclive
Thought the big issue with the K series was the O rings-surely not a problem on the other engines?!

BTW - the Rover importer in Russia cleaned up on the residual left hand drive stock of all models being sold off by the administrators. I was interested in buying some for Ukraine but the lot price Moscow offered was unbeatable.
>>Thought the big issue with the K series was the O rings

Thats a minor problem and not as common as thermostat/pump problems causing H/G/F.

How much water is the car losing?,it should not need refilling at all unless theres a problem?
--
Steve
Rover Streetwise- - Frank01
Thanks for all your input regarding the L and K series engines. I needed to top up about a pint of water but I am keeping my eye on it.
I am a bit confused regarding the Moscow element. I bought the car through Black Horse Cars in Birmingham, The previous owner was an employee of Rover, I guess that Rover had an employee car scheme??. I am really pleased with the car and they ain't making them any more. It is a great car and the mileage is over 50 mpg.
Rover Streetwise- - bristolmotorspeedway {P}
.... yes the K-series pops them more than they should

True enough, I have known the owners of 4 K-series engined cars (3 200s, 1 MGF). 5 HGFs between them. Why was such a fundamental design fault allowed to persist (none of the cars were early K-series)? Or more to the point, why is any surprise ever expressed about the demise of Rover?
Rover Streetwise- - The Melting Snowman
Lack of investment I suspect.
I guess so. Incredibly short-sighted though, and was just another nail in the coffin.
Rover Streetwise- - Pugugly {P}

A twenty miler on t'e-bay.
Rover Streetwise- - midlifecrisis
Eleven grand for a 54 reg. Nothing like an optimist!!
>>Nothing like an optimist!!

Diesel Rovers do seem to sell well,they also hold price and are reliable(compared to petrol)Mind you, I did like Rovers, but have now gone over to ford instead
--
Steve
Rover Streetwise- - midlifecrisis
A search of autotrader will find plenty of 54 reg between 4-5 grand. Eleven is just hilarious!
Rover Streetwise- - madf
If people will pay £600 to service an 8 year old Civic, £11k for a Rover is possible:_)
madf
Rover Streetwise- - Xileno {P}
A fool and their money is easily parted. It only takes one fool to make a purchase...

L Series is a tough unit, miles better than the pathetic K Series.
Rover Streetwise- - BMDUBYA
never had a Streetwise or the newer 200/25 bubble shape, but I've had a couple of the older 200's with the Pug engine. I did have an occaision when I had to top up with water on a regular basis, turned out that when I had the cam belt changed I didnt get the water pump done at the same time, hence the water pump seal had broken/been disturbed and sprung a leak. I don't know ifthe two are in truth related, the point I'm making is try to find if its something like that, a new water pump shouldn't cost teh earth to replace. Good luck.
Rover Streetwise- - DP
I guess so. Incredibly short-sighted though and was just another nail in the coffin.

Worst of all, the K-series was a world beater in most other respects. High specific power output, good efficiency, very compact and very free revving. A 1.8 K also weighs 60kg less fully dressed than a similar capacity Ford Zetec unit, and 50kg less than a Toyota 1.8 VVTi unit.

Not trying to excuse the head gasket problems, but a bit of careful attention to detail would have resulted in one of THE small capacity engines of the decade instead of a repair bill waiting to happen.

Cheers
DP
Worst of all the K-series was a world beater in most other respects. High specific
power output good efficiency very compact and very free revving.

Yes, it was way ahead of it's time in many ways when launched in 1989(?). Seem to recall that a 214i had 95bhp at a time when a then state of the art Jap 1.3 engine would have 75/80 and a VW/Ford 1.3/4 would be wheezing out something like 65bhp.