Speeding - effect on insurance premium - Waino
I'm normally the sort of wally who builds up queues behind him whilst observing speed restrictions, but after 30 years of fines/point free motoring, I have just 'been done' for achieving 47mph in a 40 limit.

Coincidentally, my insurance renewel was due, so this afternoon I confessed the dreadful news to my insurer. He seemed to think that getting a speeding ticket was an 'occupational hazard' of motoring these days and even sensible folks are going to slip up and get done sooner or later. The addition to the premium was £13. Nice little earner for them ;-)
Speeding - effect on insurance premium - gmac
Usually insurance companies let you off with two minor indiscretions 6 points for SP30 type offences. After that it starts to affect your premium.
The extra thirteen pounds sounds more like an admin. fee for changing policy details and mailing out the new document.
Speeding - effect on insurance premium - Armitage Shanks {p}
Item earlier this week on one of the AM news progs in which it was stated that as 10 million UK motorists have 3 or more points on their licences the insurance companies are indeed regarding them as a fact of life. I got my first 3 points since 1957 the other day and my insurer duly noted them and reprinted my insurance paperwork but no charge for that and no effect on the premium.
Speeding - effect on insurance premium - Waino
I got my first 3 points since 1957 the other day >>

Crikey, AS, you must be older than a conker tree ;-)
Speeding - effect on insurance premium - Lud
I was going to sympathise with you Waino, but no one who was 19 or so in 1957 is going to like being called a horse chestnut.

So I will limit myself to saying that we nearly all have to lose our virginity sooner or later, if only to keep the economy going. I think you have got off very lightly. I will sympathise with AS instead.
Speeding - effect on insurance premium - Micky
To be 19 in 1957? Old age comes to us all, but I've never had the privilege of driving on UK roads with no NSL. 19 in 1957? Music!!

Although the thought of National Service does rather take the shine off things. And no central heating. Or air con. Or television, so there were some benefits.
Speeding - effect on insurance premium - L'escargot
To be 19 in 1957? Old age comes to us all but I've never had
the privilege of driving on UK roads with no NSL. 19 in 1957? Music!!

The only trouble was that in 1957 a lot of smaller cars weren't capable of reaching the magic 70 mph. The quoted top speed may have been above 70, but you were lucky if you could find a road that was level enough for a long enough distance for you to be able to work up to it. Music? It was tedious.
--
L\'escargot.
Speeding - effect on insurance premium - Lud
The only trouble was that in 1957 a lot of smaller cars weren't capable of
reaching the magic 70 mph. Music? It
was tedious.
--

True, but some could, and there were hills down which you could build up considerable speed. As for the music being tedious, lots of it was, as now, but there was all kinds of stuff that wasn't, believe me.
Speeding - effect on insurance premium - Dalglish
Item earlier this week on one of the AM news progs ..

it was about swinton insurance who were publicising their "new product" aimed at giving "better service" to these unfortunate people with 3 or more "speed camera points".
my insurer duly noted them and reprinted my insurance paperwork but no charge for that
and no effect on the premium.

it is usually at insurance renewal time that the impact of the added 3 points becomes obvious. (as both armitage and cheddar may discover in due course).

The words at the time that I reported the points (to Liv Vic/Frizzel) was that there would be no effect at any time. As I renewed with them for £160 instead of last year's £220, a small penalty wouldn't bother me much anyway I didn't see all the prog but it featured motoring's anwer to Dracula (QW)!
Speeding - effect on insurance premium - TurboD
perhaps competition is kicking in, hope so.
my 3 points elicited an extra £15 on one car renewal. My notorbike renewal was noted.
The no 2 car renewal I shopped around disclosing the points and found a reduced premium. Wish I had first time.
No need to be mugged a second time! Tell them to *od off if they try to mug you.
Speeding - effect on insurance premium - Sofa Spud
What struck me when I saw people being interviewed on the news about the company that was not going to up the premiums for those with penalty points is how some people seemed almost proud that they had points on their licence. I've never had any in 35 years and I would feel very ashamed if I got any. (famous last words - I hope not!)
Speeding - effect on insurance premium - cheddar
Wife's recent 3pts has made zero difference to both of our policies.
Wife's recent 3pts has made zero difference to both of our policies.

so you have had your renewal notices already?

so you have had your renewal notices already?

and her licence back with the points?

methinks you are jumping the gun on two counts. (until she gets her licence back, she doen't have the conviction and points, and until you rnew, you won't know what difference if any the points are going to make on your new contract of insurance.)
Speeding - effect on insurance premium - Stuartli
It struck me when reading about Swinton Insurance Brokers and its approach to motorists who have been nabbed by speed cameras was most refreshing and a level of common sense not always prevalent these days.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Speeding - effect on insurance premium - Stuartli
PS

It also brought the brokers a remarkable level of publicity that can only prove beneficial financially.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Speeding - effect on insurance premium - Leif
Waino: "He seemed to think that getting a speeding ticket was an 'occupational hazard' of motoring these days and even sensible folks are going to slip up and get done sooner or later. "

Yup. All it take round these parts is a too rapid acceleration from stationary when the lights change, and you are a criminal. Or missing some signs because you had to watch out for the loony to your left threatening to side swipe you. I feel sorry for taxi drivers and others who drive for a living. I guess even coppers must find it hard given that they cannot speed without justification.
Speeding - effect on insurance premium - Bill Payer
The words at the time that I reported the points (to Liv Vic/Frizzel) was that
there would be no effect at any time.

I've had 2 cars insured with them for several years; they don't even require to be told about 3 pointers - they're only interested if a single offence resulted in a ban.
BP I have been with them for years and good service including one total loss claim. However, I think I would report any further points to them on the "Failure to disclose material information" tack. I don't this is their style but one hears tales of insurance being invalidated by the fitting of non-standard alloys etc. Better safe than sorry!
Speeding - effect on insurance premium - Bill Payer
AS - I tried to tell them but they insisted it didn't matter. If I remember rightly they don't even ask when doing the quotation form / proposal.
Speeding - effect on insurance premium - Marc4Six
I am also with LV and they have no interest in points only in driving bans, although this is from 3 or 4 years ago it seems unlikely thay would've changed there policy with regards to this.

A very good insurance company.
Thanks BP I hear what you say and am slightly surprised, although I don't doubt you for one moment. I reported a 3 point SP30 to them in November last year and they re-printed and reissued my insurance documents with the points mentioned. I then changed my 'named driver' and the documents were reissued, again with the date and the SP30 mentioned. I do NOT think that they are the sort of people who would reject a claim on the basis of some minor non disclosure but, if they don't want to know, what about when/if you have got 9 points and are looking at a ban? I suppose they reckon you don't want a ban so will drive very carefully and be less of a risk! In any event, like you I find them an excellent firm to deal with.
Thanks HJ - I had missed that link. Further interest and trade will be generated, I think, by the fact that all UK speed cameras are planned to go digital ie no film and no running out of film Article in today's Sunday Telegraph that I can't link to, covers it. There already 1000 digital cameras and the other 4000 will be upgraded 'soon'. There will use the same GATSO housings and there will presumably be no way of knowing which type is them during the changeover. It is a £10K upgrade and plugs straight into the existing housing.