Somerset to Stockport - cheddar
Heading up to Stockport on Saturday, last time we did it (again a Saturday) I think we came off the M6 at J17 and took the A534 / A536 / A523 through Congleton and Macclesfield to join the A6 at Hazel Grove though we got stuck in traffic on the A6 heading towards Manchester.

Would it be better to do M6 to J19, A556 / M56 / M60 ?

At least the few Mancunians that support MUFC will be either darn sarf at Wem-ber-ley or in the pub.

Thanks.
Somerset to Stockport - Happy Blue!
Would it be better to do M6 to J19, A556 / M56 / M60 ?

Yes!

Unless you are going to Hazel Grove I would certainly do the route you suggested.
Somerset to Stockport - reddy03
I would agree with Espada - Watch out for the speed camaras on the A556
Somerset to Stockport - Jonathan {p}
Or you could come the same way as before, except at Congleton carry on the A34 through to Alderley Edge and take the A34 bypass straight to the M60 J3. Depends on where in Stockport your heading, but this way could be quicker.
Somerset to Stockport - Jonathan {p}
Just thought if you're heading for the Bramhall end of Stockport this is very easy to get to from the A34/A555 junction which is on the way.
Thanks guys, looking at the map I like the look of the A534 / A34 to Handforth then cutting across via dual carriageway (is that the A555?) to the A5102.

Or perhaps J19 then through Mobberley on the B5085 and then the same.

Regards.
Somerset to Stockport - Lud
But cheddar, are you really sure you want to leave smiling Somerset for scowling and clamorous Stockport on a spring weekend? Just asking :o)
Somerset to Stockport - Nsar
I'd go M6/M56/M60 personally.

Come off at the pyramid....yes Lud, Stockport has one.

Don't be nasty about Stockport, it has enough on its plate.
Somerset to Stockport - AlastairW
Don't be nasty about Stockport it has enough on its plate.

>>
For one thing, I live in Hazel Grove! Where you headed Cheddar? The stickiest part of the A6 is Hazel Grove, because although the road is 4 lanes wide it is only just wide enough ( and everyone in front of me in the outside lane wants to turn right..grr)
Somerset to Stockport - rtj70
Don't know where you're going but lucky it's now and not later this year. Part of the A6 (Wellington Road North) will be closed to rebuild a railway bridge this summer - the bridge just before the MB garage. Road will be totally closed due to demolition of the central arch of the bridge to allow 44 tonne lorries. Depending if it's north of Stockport you're heading then doing the A6 not such a good choice.

At the moment down to one lane each way but thought I'd let other back roomers know what's coming. It will be a right pain for us.
Somerset to Stockport - fossyant
On a Sat stick to the awful Motorway (until at least July) roadworks.. quite easy on weekends - you should be there in rush hour ?

Depends upon your destination, as I live in the area, and stay clear of the A6 all together - even at weekends - I get the bike out, just have to nip past the southern end of Hazel Grove (aka traffic hell) and off out into the country Cheshire lanes.

Depends upon your destination >>

Just off the Manchester end of the A6, nearer the M60 than Hazel Grove so perhaps motorway would be best bearing in mind roadwirks etc.

To answer Lud, and with respect to the locals who have been kind enough to assist, it would not be my destination of choice on a spring weekend though the company will be good.
Somerset to Stockport - Lud
I did do a smiley I think... be a great weekend I'm sure... hope the drive is good too, they often are.
Somerset to Stockport - rtj70
Make sure you take into account the roadworks (and SPECs cameras) on the section of the M60 from J3 to just after J1. But probably not too bad for traffic flow on a Saturday.
Meant to say we did just under 200 miles in 3hr 20mins on Sat including a 20min stop so 3hrs on the road averaging 65mph, 80mph on cruise all the way up the M5 and M6 but for road works, then A556, M56, M60, A6.

On Sunday it took a little longer to get home, we were in less of a hurry so cruised at about 70-75 and stopped twice, only delay was 3 or 4 mins at the M6/M5 junction southbound on Sunday PM.
Somerset to Stockport - Round The Bend
Cheddar, followed a similar route to you at the weekend from Mid Devon to just North of Liverpool - essentially M5 M6 M58.

Excellent run on Saturday (3hrs 40m on the road), thanks to the cup final I think. Return on Sunday slower but still good. Traffic eased once south of Birmingham and past the junction you mention.

Wish all journeys were as easy!