Purchased a duff car can anyone help? - Typical Woman!
I know I will sound like a typical woman BUT I purchased an Astra in February from a dealer. Last weekend the body work has been damaged so my insurance company came out to asses and have said that they will not undertake the repairs as there has been damage to the car previously and the work is of a poor standard and they are not prepared to carry out repairs on poor previous repairs. I want to return the car to the dealer and try to invoke Sale of Goods Act 1979.

Would this be possible and if so how do I do it?

Any help would be great
Purchased a duff car can anyone help? - Brian Tryzers
There are plenty here better qualified than me to comment on this but I think they'll want to know how old this car is, what kind of dealer you bought it from, how much you paid and what the dealer told you about its history. If the dealer misrepresented the car to you - telling you it hadn't been repaired when it had, for example - then you ought to have a case against them.
Purchased a duff car can anyone help? - DavidHM
If your insurance company are not prepared to repair, what *are* they offering?

Are you claiming off your own insurance or off a third party?

Purchased a duff car can anyone help? - pendulum
Also, just because your insurance company says it's been badly repaired previously, does not mean that it has, you'd probably need to get a second opinion from an unbiased party.

If the dealer says "The car was fine when it was sold. She must have crashed it once, got it repaired, then crashed it again..."
Purchased a duff car can anyone help? - yorkiebar
As i understand it the onus is on the insurance company to arrange repairs or write off the vehicle if unrepairable and compensate you accordingly.

Any claim against the seller for misrepresentation are a seperate argument.
Purchased a duff car can anyone help? - Typical Woman!
Claiming from my insurance and they are offerinfg a cash settlement as Vauxhall are not prepared to guarantee their repairs due to the previous repairs poor quality!
Purchased a duff car can anyone help? - bell boy
make sure you do your homework next time
said in the best possible taste
price-
hpi--
inspection--
if all these are in order you are halfway to a good motor
Purchased a duff car can anyone help? - Roly93
make sure you do your homework next time

>>
There may have been no way this could have come to light, as a HPI check will only show repairs which were done via the normal insurance system. If the car was damaged and repaierd 'off the records', short of her being and expert car inspector it may not have come to light.
Purchased a duff car can anyone help? - L'escargot
Claiming from my insurance and they are offerinfg a cash settlement as Vauxhall are not
prepared to guarantee their repairs due to the previous repairs poor quality!

I assume you mean the dealer, not Vauxhall themselves?
--
L\'escargot.
Purchased a duff car can anyone help? - storme
surely they cant "not " repair it??

just get vauxhall to repair the car... whether they can guarentee the repair doesnt really matter does it?? u want vauxhall parts and vauxhall to repair it.and your insurance company do as u tell them.u pay them remember.

--
sometimes a little bit too much opinion....but its only because i care !!!
Purchased a duff car can anyone help? - cheddar
Ask the repairer how much extra it would cost to make good the previous repair to the point it could be g'teed, ask the supplying dealer to pay this, if the refuse pay this extra yourself and then take the supplying dealer to the small claims court.
Purchased a duff car can anyone help? - L'escargot
surely they cant "not " repair it??
just get vauxhall to repair the car...

A repair is a job for a dealer/bodyshop, not Vauxhall.
--
L\'escargot.
Purchased a duff car can anyone help? - cheddar
>> surely they cant "not " repair it??
>>
>> just get vauxhall to repair the car...
A repair is a job for a dealer/bodyshop not Vauxhall.

Presumably the car is still under warranty and the bodyshop has highlighted issues that invalidate that warranty.

As I said she should ask the repairer how much extra it would cost to make good the previous repair to the point it could be waranteed and ask the supplying dealer to pay this, then if they refuse pay this extra herself and then take the supplying dealer to the small claims court.