used xsara diesel smokey on start up - Chuffer Dandridge
Just taken a look a 1999 xsara estate diesel, 1.9 Turbo. Mileage 64K.

Started first time from cold, but clouds of white and black smoke from the exhaust for several seconds afterwards, then cleared.

The car has been unused for a little while.

Is this something to worry about, or is it likely to clear once the car is used regularly?
used diesel smokey on start up - NARU
My Mondeo TDCi emits clouds of black smoke on cold start, and runs a bit lumpy for about 10 seconds. And my BMW 330d used to do it too. Both were fine after that initial grumpiness.

In both cases it started when the cars reached about 40,000 miles. I understand its to do with the EGR valve. I had BMW fix it (they fitted a new EGR valve) but I might just let it go on the Mondeo unless there's advice here that I shouldn't.

I don't know whether my driving makes it worse (lots of motorway runs) and 'press on' driving?
used diesel smokey on start up - local yokel
When was it last MoTd? Tell the selller you'll give them £xxx if it has a fresh ticket.
used diesel smokey on start up - David Horn
Never had black smoke from mine, but when it's cold out there's some white smoke and it runs lumpy for about 5 seconds. Were you pushing the accelerator when you were cranking? (Pet hate of mine).
used diesel smokey on start up - Edward
Could also be a failed glow plug - caused a lot of white smoke when starting my 306 dt. Just hope it is not the one by the fuel pump as this is a pain to get to.
used diesel smokey on start up - Martin1981
My 306TD, with 153k on 2nd hand engine chucks out white smoke for the first 10 seconds when starting from cold and sounds like a twin tub washing machine out of balance. The white smoke is a combination of unburnt diesel and condensation build up in the exhaust. Never get any black smoke on start up. I do get grey smoke when I accellerate heavily after being stationary for more than a couple of minutes or after I've been driving steadily for a long time. The Xsara may just need an air and/or fuel filter change, a dose of Redex and an italian tune up. After all, 64k for the 1.9TD engine is absolutely nothing and with oil and filter changes at 5-6k, coolant changes every 2 years and cambelt change every 50k, they are good for 200k plus.

Martin
used xsara diesel smokey on start up - artful dodger {P}
This link might help understand the problems associated with different coloured smoke emitted by a diesel.

tinyurl.com/y6zl9p

--
Roger
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.