1997 rover 214i- fan on when starting!!! - ninja66
i bought a 1997 rover 214i a couple of days ago,when i start engine the fan comes on straight away,i left it running for five mins and it stayed on. is this common on this model?or is this a fault? its in my drive at the moment until i get tax put on it so i would be grateful if someone can help me out with some advice.
1997 rover 214i- fan on when starting!!! - Falkirk Bairn
Could be lots of reasons but a likely one is that there was a problem and they have wired it directly- so it is always on. On the otherhand has it got water in teh radiator?
1997 rover 214i- fan on when starting!!! - milkyjoe
if it comes on when starting sounds like a permanent live feed to the fan motor have you looked at the temp sensor on the thermostat housing, if its corroded could be giving a direct circuit to said part....just a thought ,all the best
thanks for reply,as i said to other guy, the red wire is connected but the black one has been cut and is not connected. is it ok to run like this?
hi thanks for reply,there is water in rad,just looked at wiring ant there is a red wired connected but a black one has been cut and is not connected.will that mean it is permanenly on? if so is that ok to drive like that or will it damage anything?
1997 rover 214i- fan on when starting!!! - GregSwain
will that mean it is permanenly on? if so is that ok to drive like
that or will it damage anything?

Yes, the switch has obviously failed at some point and someone's bypassed it instead of raiding a scrap-yard for another. Yes it's fine to drive like that - engines always used to have belt-driven fans that started with the engine. Personally I'd rather have one that was always on than always off! ;-)
thanks mate,that has eased my mind now! maybe i will get a new switch at some point. anyway thanks again for your help .
1997 rover 214i- fan on when starting!!! - Civic8
I`d get one asap if I were you,its not meant to run all the time and switch is easy enough/cheap to replace,fan also slows engine tick over down increasing fuel consumption,also less noisy when it turns off
--
Steve
1997 rover 214i- fan on when starting!!! - milkyjoe
dont drive the car with the electric fan on permanent, A you will burn the motor out , B you will flatten the battery if in traffic
dont drive the car with the electric fan on permanent A you will burn the
motor out B you will flatten the battery if in traffic

A) Rubbish - I'm sure some early FWD Fords had permanently wired cooling fans. Fan motors rarely burn out - it's normally the switch that dies (as in this case)

B) Equally Rubbish - the alternator does work when the car's not moving you know! The cooling fan normally comes on in traffic when air-flow is restricted to the radiator - that's its job!!

Leave the car as is. No it's not normal Rover spec to have an unswitched fan, but so what? No it won't do any harm to the engine in any shape or form, the worst effect possibly being that it'll take 2 minutes longer to warm up! This forum certainly has its share of pedants and scare-mongerers!
1997 rover 214i- fan on when starting!!! - Civic8
>>the worst effect possibly being that it'll take 2 minutes longer to warm up

Do what you like with your own motor,but it isnt good advice to leave fan as it is,and 2 minutes longer to warm up is two minutes longer running richer than it should which these units dont like.
It is not scaremongering,its advising to get it repaired as it should be
--
Steve
2 minutes longer to warm up is two minutes longer
running richer than it should which these units dont like.

It's a 10-year-old Rover. It's not worth spending a penny on, but...if it's really bothering the owner he could raid a scrap-yard for another fan switch, and then run his engine till it's warm, to test it. However, my concern, apart from encouraging him to waste money on an unnecessary repair, is the following.....

What happens, a few months down the line, if the replacement switch subsequently fails, fan stops, engine boils, and pops the fragile head-gasket that these K-series engines are so well-known for? He'll be back on here wishing he'd kept his working, un-switched fan. Just a thought! ;-)