Very costly phone call. - PW
Found this on the Avon and Somerset Police website. Have never considered that anyone would drive an expensive premium vehicle round with no insurance (unless that was the original asking price and is now old and worth a fraction of that).

ADDED: 4/05/2007 9:54
A man caught using his mobile phone while driving not only received three penalty points and a £60 fine, but had to endure watching his £60,000 Mercedes sports car being towed off to a storage compound.

Checks carried out by officers who pulled over the driver on Queen's Road in Clifton revealed that the driver only had a provisional UK licence and no insurance.

He also already had nine penalty points on his licence, meaning the three added for his latest offence would mean it being revoked.

Superintendent Andy Pullan, in charge of the force's Road Policing Unit, said: "Driving using a mobile phone is a dangerous enough offence and one that our officers rigorously enforce, but to be driving without a full UK licence and with no insurance makes him a potentially huge risk to the public.

"We immediately seize anyone's vehicle if they are found to have no insurance ? on average, this means around 250 per month. We often find that driving without insurance is just the start of it and these motorists are either disqualified or wanted for other offences.

"Officers who pull over a vehicle even for a relatively minor offence always take the opportunity to carry out full checks on the driver and vehicle which, as this case shows, often means taking dangerous motorists off our streets."
Very costly phone call. - flunky
presumably he will get the car back though.
Very costly phone call. - David Horn
Would be so funny if his car was crushed in front of him.
Very costly phone call. - PW
If car is worth that much personally would prefer to see it sold to compensate victims of uninsured drivers. would also like to see driver forced to spend time with traffic police and at local A&E to see the aftermath of unskilled driving on the roads.

Might actually be a more effective deterrent.
Very costly phone call. - Hugo {P}
Would be so funny if his car was crushed in front of him.

I would prefer to see him have to watch it being dumped in a high crime rate neigbourhood and getting stripped in 10 minuites!
Very costly phone call. - keo-the-dog
I would prefer to see him have to watch it being dumped in a high
crime rate neigbourhood and getting stripped in 10 minuites!

It was in Bristol , Queens road is not the best area , lots of drug related problems...Cheers...Keo.
Very costly phone call. - csgmart
Beg pardon? Queens Rd is in Clifton, which for those not in the know, is one of the poshest parts of Bristol. Now I know that drugs can be [and are] sold anywhere, but I would certainly not say that "Queens Road is not the best area". I can think of much much worse e.g. Hartcliffe, Southmead, Sea Mills, etc etc. Nothing wrong with those areas, just not quite as 'nice' as Clifton.
Very costly phone call. - keo-the-dog
Not wishing to offend a local but Queens Rd is not my idea of a nice part of Bristol possibly due to visitors from other parts of the city but there is a large drug problem in the area more so than some other very nice parts of Clifton... Cheers...Keo.
Very costly phone call. - Martin Devon
I would prefer to see him have to watch it being dumped in a high
crime rate neigbourhood and getting stripped in 10 minuites!

Most of the UK then Hugo!!!

VBR.........MD
Very costly phone call. - Ian (Cape Town)
Why is it that the majority of idiots I see with phone stuck to ear while driving drive 'expensive' cars?
Surely if you can afford that soet of motor, you can afford a handsfree kit?
Very costly phone call. - Pugugly {P}
He also already had nine penalty points on his licence, meaning the three added for his latest offence would mean it being revoked

I don't know how they can do or say that. Endorsable FPN are not given to peopole where they liable to totting up disqualification for the very sane reason that the Courts are the only ones who can "revoke" licences. Sounds a bit like some spin involved here. Maybe Westpig and others can comment or have I missed something here.
Very costly phone call. - Pugugly {P}
Just checked my own facts and I am right. He should be reported for summons. Either misissued or downright lies.
Very costly phone call. - paulb {P}
Surely if you can afford that soet of motor you can afford a handsfree kit?

and indeed will something of that sort not be built in on such cars? I'm glad someone else has noticed this. In this area, based on my observation, the drivers of Mercedes coupes and 6-series BMWs seem to be particularly prone to this sort of thing.
Very costly phone call. - Another John H
Why is it that the majority of idiots I see with phone stuck to ear
while driving drive 'expensive' cars?

IMHO it's part of the "rules are for plebs, not me.... look at ME in this, I'm inportant I am." mind set.

If it has a personalised plate too, just take it as an early warning.
Very costly phone call. - TheGrocer
Not all MB/BMW drivers are the same.
As the driver of an MB320 I have the hands free kit installed and its quality is excellent. Part of the problem is the rip off prices MB charge to fit this "added extra" at £1000....It should be fitted as standard the same way seat belts are
The plonkers who give high end car drivers a bad name drive us all crazy with there couldnt care less attitude. Its not the car its the driver and they probably act the same way when out of the car.
--
\"Eagles may fly in formation but Weasels dont get sucked into jet engines\"
Very costly phone call. - rtj70
"Surely if you can afford that soet of motor you can afford a handsfree kit?"

Only the other day I saw the driver of a Bentley Continental GT using a phone. You would really think if you can even afford to insure one of those (let alone buy9 you could afford a handsfree solution.
Very costly phone call. - rjr
Not all MB/BMW drivers are the same.
As the driver of an MB320 I have the hands free kit installed and its
quality is excellent. Part of the problem is the rip off prices MB charge to
fit this "added extra" at £1000....It should be fitted as standard the same way seat
belts are

How did you arrive at £1000? The wiring is £430 and the cradle is something like £150.

A simplified bluetooth connection is being introduced as standard starting with the new C Class.
Very costly phone call. - FotheringtonThomas

It does not really matter, though, whether it's hands free or not - it's still dangerous to be on the telephone whilst driving, whatever.
Very costly phone call. - Lud
>>hands free or not - it's still
dangerous to be on the telephone whilst driving whatever.

Garbaggio, surely? No worse than talking to a passenger.

When necessary a sane driver can always switch everything else off and concentrate 100% for perhaps just a few seconds.

So if you can't talk when driving, well, you need a bit of practice is all I can say.

Very costly phone call. - Stuartli
No worse than talking to a passenger. >>

A passenger quickly realises when to keep quiet.

Using a mobile phone in a car, whether held to the ear or hands-free, is an unwanted and mostly unnecessary distraction from maintaining maximum concentration on what is happening on the road ahead of you (or behind, or to each side for that matter).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
>>hands free or not - it's still
>> dangerous to be on the telephone whilst driving whatever.
Garbaggio surely? No worse than talking to a passenger.

No. I have already referenced in this forum the TRL Report on using the telephone when driving, however I can't find it from a site search.

Using a hands free phone whilst driving was found to be more dangerous than driving whilst over the drink-drive limit:

tinyurl.com/3abgnh

Worth a read. Go to page 8 if you're in a hurry.
Using a hands free phone whilst driving was found to be more dangerous than driving
whilst over the drink-drive limit:

It's probably lethal for some people to have a random thought while they are driving. It's sure to distract them from the extremely difficult and demanding task in hand.

Others however are competent drivers. This claim is quite simply nonsense.
Very costly phone call. - stevied
Surely the fact that it is NOT illegal in many countries to use a phone suggests that, as ever, the British consider laws and rules to be a "moral" issue rather than just legislation?

It's like the speeding thing: it is no safer to drive at 120mph in Germany on a de-restricted autobahn than it is for me to drive down the M54 in the middle of the night at 120, as I didn't do the other night. It's just legal in Germany.

My views on phone use? I'm with Lud..... it depends on the driver. Instead of relying on spurious, costly and blanket legislation which is ultimately unenforceable, we should have a driving test system that isn't scared to tell people who are unsuited to driving that they really shouldn't drive.

IMHO.
>> Using a hands free phone whilst driving [...] whilst over the drink-drive limit:

Others however are competent drivers. This claim is quite simply nonsense.

Everyone thinks they're competent. Most drivers think they're above average. To say "this claim is simply nonsense" when there is a large body of research showing that using a hands-free phone wile driving is more dangerous than DUI in the UK is - well, very silly. Perhaps you should actually read the TRL report, and others from the UK and abroad:

www.rospa.com/roadsafety/info/workmobiles.pdf (p.2)
www.swov.nl/rapport/Factsheets/FS_Mobile_phones.pdf
www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2003/06/593...1
www.thinkroadsafety.gov.uk/advice/mobilephones.htm
networks.silicon.com/mobile/0,39024665,10002617,00...m
www.news.uiuc.edu/news/04/1112cellphones.html
www.edp-uk.com/newsletters/mobilephones2.htm

etc.
A lot of that first ROSPA report is a load of New Labour spin nonsense and tripe.

"... managers should set an example and not use their phones whilst driving"... this includes hands-free systems as is staed. One word: WHY?

This is like the ever-more tedious smoking debate. IT IS NOT ILLEGAL TO USE A HANDS-FREE SYSTEM IN A CAR. So, why on your chosen deity's green earth do ROSPA want managers to make some smug self-righteous point about not using the phone?

Wooly pseudo-political nonsense. If those in power wish us to feel bad about yet another everyday activity, why don't they ban it, instead of making the "law" so open to misreading? I will continue to use the Bluetooth in my car (with a fixed point for my phone to sit in) because, heaven forfend, I can speak and drive at the same time. I am not disputing that in certain circumstances, and with certain drivers, it may be an issue. Please refer to my earlier comments for clarification on that. The more we remove people's discretion and instead impose pointless bureaucratic legislation on every aspect of modern life (and I'm with Blur on that one, rather than Blair) the more you create a nation whose mantra is "Where's there blame there's a claim".

Drinking coffee, smoking, talking to the rugrats in the back seat...... I see no difference between that and conversing with someone who doesn't happen to be in the car with you.
A lot of that first ROSPA report is a load of New Labour spin nonsense
and tripe.

Did you only read the couple of sentences you quoted, then? No commend on P2 of that report, or the others quoted, or indeed any of the other world-wide resaearch, other than "a load of nonsense and tripe"?

Perhaps - tinyurl.com/2nluqm
Perhaps I have read it all and didn't type every single thought that I had on it, merely commented on that which I thought relevant to this debate? : )

If you want every nuance of my opinions on this, then be prepared for a very long post! Happy to do it! Just give me the word.

Incidentally, and with respect, why do I have my head in the sand, in addition to wearing a very dubious suite and tie combination? Did YOU read what I wrote? I think that, even if you disagree with my views as you so obviously do, I stated very good reasons as to why I think them.

Do you want me to expound these heinous non-PC libertarian views further?
Everyone thinks they're competent. Most drivers think they're above average.

I know FT. The fact remains however that some, and I mean some, really are competent.

a large body of research showing that using a hands-free
phone wile driving is more dangerous than DUI in the UK is - well very
silly.

Agreed. This large body of research claiming to show that is indeed very silly.
Indeed Lud. Also, as you have said before, how can one quantify "using a hands-free
phone wile driving is more dangerous than DUI": if someone is just over the legal limit and less affected by alcohol than some then that is NOT the same (and don't bleat it is because it isn't) the same as someone who is up to their neck in alcopops and affected a great deal by alcohol is it? I am not justifying DUI, I don't drink when I drive at all, as I don't want to risk my licence, plus on a more altruistic note, I am somewhat affected by even a pint. To me a zero tolerance makes more sense, in the same way that I think banning hands-free, whilst not in keeping with MY beliefs, is a clearer decision than wasting rainforest on pointless reports.

Clear motorway, using hands-free. How is that dangerous? Go on, tell me. I am intrigued. Is my cognitive ability any more affected than when I am daydreaming about Emmanuelle Beart, something I do far more often than use my phone?... I doubt it.
Checks carried out by officers who pulled over the driver on Queen's Road in Clifton
revealed that the driver only had a provisional UK licence and no insurance.

Hm. The wording of this implies that the driver is not a native.

He also already had nine penalty points on his licence meaning the three added for
his latest offence would mean it being revoked.

By gum. I did not know that you could get 9 points on a provisional. If he passed his test and got that many within two years, he'd be off the road again!
Very costly phone call. - DuncanSuperb
thankyou.... I've read this thread pondering the same thing and was going to add this thought myself - how is it that someone can get 9 pts on a provisional licence ?