New drivers banned under 3 year rule - rover 75
Reported in this weeks press only half of new drivers banned under the 3 year rule bother to take a retest , have the other half given up driving or are they on the roads illegally ?
New drivers banned under 3 year rule - Ruperts Trooper
It's difficult to believe they give up driving.
New drivers banned under 3 year rule - Westpig
read some stats yesterday..that said the DoT admits 1 in 20 drives with no insurance (so that's likely to be more then)...and that the Motor Insurers Bureau pays out £500m a year to innocent parties of non insured accidents.....(which means the people who do pay for insurance are coughing up for it)

last year, I had a touch on a roundabout where i went into inadvertant ram mode, when the chap in front started to pull out, i looked right and thought 'yep, i'll have some of that', only to find he'd panicked and changed his mind..... so i hit his bumper, reasonably hard....imagine my surprise when he just drove off........so my suspicious cynical mind kicked in and i presumed he had no docs........if it was me i'd have wanted to know what the damage was at least
New drivers banned under 3 year rule - Blue {P}
Nice escape for you though! :-)

Blue
New drivers banned under 3 year rule - Westpig
Nice escape for you though! :-)
Blue

true.......but in reality there was no damage to ours, so probably not much, if any, to his, although I ran the risk of being blamed for old damage or an imaginary cricked neck...and of course totally down to me

the only resulting downside was i was driving SWMBO car, with her in transit....... she's never let me forget it and has now taken to shouting 'brake' at every slightest hint of danger, which i've not admitted to yet........but is very annoying

New drivers banned under 3 year rule - Leif
the only resulting downside was i was driving SWMBO car with her in transit....... she's
never let me forget it and has now taken to shouting 'brake' at every slightest
hint of danger

The correct response is "And what should I break dear?".
New drivers banned under 3 year rule - BazzaBear {P}
Bit late now, but you should have claimed a mechanical fault, and told her off for not maintaining her car correctly.
New drivers banned under 3 year rule - David Horn
The irony is that the people now on the roads with no license or insurance are the worst subset of new, young, drivers.
New drivers banned under 3 year rule - Peter D
Do you not mean the 2 year rule. Regards Peter
New drivers banned under 3 year rule - Ian (Cape Town)
Excuse my ignorance, as i am Johnny Foreigner. What is the Two-Year/Three-Year rule?
New drivers banned under 3 year rule - Welliesorter
What is the Two-Year/Three-Year rule?

>>

A new driver who picks up six penalty points (typically two flashes of the camera) reverts to being a learner, with the need to retake the driving test, including the theory and hazard perception bits.

I'm reasonably confident that this applies for two years after passing the test as I managed to pick up three points after a year. I then had a very nervous year of trying not to acquire any more and was extremely relieved on my second anniversary.

rover 75 was (quite reasonably) wondering how many affected by this rule simply continue to drive illegally. My guess is very many.
New drivers banned under 3 year rule - pendulum
Yes, it's 2 Years. 6 points or more within 2 years of passing and you go back to being a learner.

I've got 3 days until my 2 year probation period is up! Got a clean licence so far! Just hope I don't get 2 speeding fines in the letterbox within a couple of days of each other (happened to my dad a few years ago!)
New drivers banned under 3 year rule - sony
I passed 2 years ago on the 7th May. Thankfully didn't pick up any fines! So glad I never had 3 points as I would have been very nervous for the rest of the probationary period.
New drivers banned under 3 year rule - rover 75
Apologies Gentlemen I must have misread 3yrs it is of course 2yrs and 6 points.
New drivers banned under 3 year rule - yorkiebar
Not condoning driving without licence and/or insurance but I understand why it happens.

Speaking to lot of youngsters they all say that if they get stopped (big if btw) then they will get fined etc. The fine is likely to be considerably less than the insurance cost.

Unless they get stopped 3 times in a year or so (now its very unlikely) then they will still be better of financially. Its only after they have been caught 3rd or more times does the system begin to penalise them and make legal needs attractive.

Until the punishment fits the crime etc.
New drivers banned under 3 year rule - Micky
Don't make rules unless they can be enforced. Banning after 6 points is ridiculous. Bromide to reduce the effects of rampant testosterone perhaps?