Car wax - ka razy
Just an easy one..can anyone recommend a good wax polish that lasts.Is mir any good?And after the wax,how do I keep the shine.My uncle who is a retired coachbuilder has always said the only way to wash a car after waxing is with luke warm water,with no additives,as in "wash and wax"

I usually wash it once a week,and wax it monthly..

comments appreciated

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 21/01/2008 at 18:54

car wax - oldgit
I know deep down in my pysche that waxing is essentially a waste of time although it does give temporary water repellancy and does impart a nice glossy finish to some of the darker cars.

The process is largely wasted on my car as it has a metallic silver finish and that does not really lend itself to ever looking any different, whether polished or not, however, one might feel good after having spent some time putting on one of the many proprietary waxes available.

Myself, I use one of those overpriced Mequiars products which comprise a high carnauba wax content. Goes on very easily and wipes off similarly, however the water beading properties do not seem to last very long. I'm of the opinion that any great build up of these wax finishes only exacerbates the problem of the car's finish eventually dulling, as the wax on top of the car's paintwork, breaks down under the action of rain and UV light, in which case a cleaner is needed to remove all the old build-up of wax.................and so it goes on, and we start all over again!!
car wax - Hamsafar
Mer (mir sic) is a Wax Polish, not just a wax, the difference is that a polish will remove a fine layer of paint using fine abrasives, and a wax will just coat the surface with wax but not actually take anything away. A wax Polish will do both.
Unless the car is new or has a no swirl mark fine scratches, then it seems best to use a wax polish to remove everday fine scratches and swirls. I have lots of half empty bottles, but can recommend TurtleWax Extreme Nano Tech Polishing Wax. It seems easy to apply and remove, reasonably priced and the shine and water beading lasts months, but it is all subjective.
car wax - ka razy
thanks for your replies..my personal opinion is todays modern water based paints just do not keep a shine..gone are the days of "t cut" then an application of wax..I drive a black car nearly 4 years old..and its hard work to stop it looking dull even after a month...

Jim
car wax - ash55
Hi,
Try Collinite 476s wax if your looking fro a wax that will last; it should last 4 to 5 months.

Reading through the replies to this post it is clear there is little knowledge about detailing a car here.
There are many sites about car detailing (Google it) and the high street is not the place to buy good products,

Try here for products www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/

and go here for info www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/

There is a great deal to learn about detailing, start with learning the two bucket method for washing and dump that sponge. :-)

This is also a great site autopia.org/ Go to the top of the page and click on "How to".
Be careful once your hooked it will cost you a fortune LOL

This is what can be done with black www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=323

car wax - fossyant
If the car has recently been polished with something like Autoglym Super Resin (to remove winter filth) then Turtlewax Platinum Polish and Super gloss finish (2 stage) are excellent on solid dark colours like red.... just drop the super gloss on silver doesn't do much over and above the platinum polish.

Great products to give a good shine, so long as the carp has been removed recently by a harder polish like Super Resin by Autoglym. Easy to apply and easy to buff off, just damp leather the dust off after 'buffing'.
car wax - fossyant
After Ka razy's response - we have a solid red Yaris that's almost 8 years old that still looks like new - helps that it's on a private plate, but all the missus' school run friends think it's new - just use decent quality stuff ! Red is the hardest to keep new, but boy does is look good.
car wax - ka razy
yes fossant,had a 10 year old nissan a while back,red,and it looked like new when I sold it..maybe its in the make of car......serves me right for buying something black.
car wax - L'escargot
I just wash my car (every once in a while!) with TurtleWax Zip Wax Super Concentrate Wash & Wax and dry it with a chamois leather. It stays nice and shiny, rain beads on it nicely, and the (red) colour never fades. The only cosseting it gets is that, when not in use, it lives in a garage with a dehumidifier to stop it rusting.
--
L\'escargot.
car wax - Red Baron
I have a black car that is almost 10 years old. Once cleaned the paint still reflects as if it were polished. Sure, laying on a 'wax' makes it look even better as does a T-cut, but the paint is in no way dull.
car wax - Peter D
T Cut, who uses T Cut these days. I was an Auto Glyn, super resin fan but this year changed to Mer, and I'm impressed, and I'm fussy. Regards Peter
car wax - bathtub tom
IIRC, Comma produce a wax that came out very well, at a sensible price,in a recent test.
car wax - AR-CoolC
Don't use Mer, it's too dusty and is very hard work to remove.

For a quck clean up, that is very easy to do use an All-In-One type product from a high end company. My personal preference is for products from Chemical Guy's (their UK dealer is www.carwashnwax.co.uk ). Using these high end products is a revelation from the high street products. They go on and wipe off so much more easily.

My recomendation from the above site would be the Cherry Wet Wax (actually an all-in-one product) for a clean up and loverly soft glowing finish. then for the ultimate, use a high carnuba content wax like the 50/50.

Believe me you'll be converted once you've tried them out.
car wax - Stuartli
The main problem with a Wash 'n Wax type product is that once on the windscreen it is very difficult to get off and causes smearing when using the wipers for a long time afterwards.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
car wax - MVP
My advice is just to wash the car using rain water with a little wash & wax stuff mixed in.

I discovered that polishing in botled/tinned wax just causes loads of micro scratching that dulls the paintwork after the initial gleam has worn off.

Our four year old Forester shines after a good downpour, the dirt mostly runs off.
car wax - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
I agree that going through a commercial carwash (the horror) leaves a waxy deposit on my windscreen.
When DIY I use Halfords Advanced Car Wash, one cap per bucket, and this seems to bead the water but not foul the screen. I reget to say I have only polished my car once in 5 1/2 years.
Now, the BMW bike is another matter.................
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
car wax - midlifecrisis
I use Meguiars stage 3 products. Stage 1 is a paint renovator, Stage 2 a polish and Stage 3 a Cannuba Wax. Followed off by Megs #21 sealant. It takes a bit of effort, but is well worth it. I do it approx every three months.

Weekly wash, I use Megs gold class car shampoo, followed by a quick wipe over with spray wax. The 'normal' wash will only take about half an hour because any grime just runs off. Some might see it as a bit over the top. but having paid close to £17000, I think it's perfectly justified. My previous Vectra was cleaned in the same way and still looked brand new after two and a half years.
car wax - flynn
My advice is just to wash the car using rain water

My handbook tells me to "wash the car after rainfall to prevent possible damage from acid rain".

Sounds so daft I had to check it but it does. What I'm supposed to wash rainwater off with I'm not sure. Bottles of distilled water from Boots presumably.
car wax - flynn
PS. Review of 50 different polishes on the Autoexpress site.

They rated Turtle Wax Platinum Extra Gloss as the 5 star best but gave Mer just 3 stars and
Meguiar?s just 2 because they didn't last well.
car wax - s61sw
PS. Review of 50 different polishes on the Autoexpress site.
They rated Turtle Wax Platinum Extra Gloss as the 5 star best but gave Mer
just 3 stars and
Meguiar?s just 2 because they didn't last well.

I thought that test was seriously flawed, in that they didn't seem to understand the difference between polish and wax. Polish is abrasive and 'flattens' out the tiny peaks and troughs on the surface of the paint, whilst wax protects the polished surface. Autoexpress seemed to be giving polishes poor marks for not being a wax and vice-versa.

S6 1SW
car wax - L'escargot
they didn't seem to understand the
difference between polish and wax.

I've always (well, for 50 years anyway) known it as wax polish ~ "wax" is what it contains and "polish" is what it does. For example .............

"Crem Perfection
Natural Carnauba Wax Polish.
Natural Carnauba wax polish - no watery/chalky marks, fills in swirls & scratches in a gentle liquid cleaning formula and gives a fantastic deep shine. No white residues, dust or marks on plastic trim. Simply wipe on and buff gently off. Our best selling product, lasts for up to 3 months. Ideal for Acrylic, Cellulose, Synthetic, Two pack, Lacquered, Metallic and Glassfibre gel coat paints, newer water-based soft paints and dark colours.

Pack: 500ml
Price: £18.99
Product Code: RG4-500"

--
L\'escargot.
car wax - JamesH
>> PS. Review of 50 different polishes on the Autoexpress site. ...
I thought that test was seriously flawed ...

I agree the test was flawed, like many of Auto Express's tests. An extra three or four quid on a bottle of wax (or anything else really) that might last a couple of years is trivial when protecting a car that may well be losing hundreds or thousands over the same time, yet they mark down products heavily for being 'too expensive'.
car wax - Dynamic Dave
Don't use Mer it's too dusty and is very hard work to remove.

Have used MER for years now. Good results and I've found it easy to buff off after applying.
car wax - Rudedog
Poorboys products everytime!

They have a complete range of products that can be applied in hot or cold conditions, the wax is a true wax (Poorboys World Natty's Blue Paste Wax) and goes on clear and can be wiped off without any white residue.

These products are made in the US and are of very high quailty at a reasonable price.

By the way NOBODY use a chamois leather any more, microfibre clothes are the way to go these days.

www.poorboysworld.com/index.html

www.seriousperformance.co.uk/Products.html

car wax - Mad Maxy
I've heard good things about Poorboys. Also consider Klasse/Carlack and Zaino's products and Pinnacle products, especially Souveran wax. Some of the synthetic glazes/sealants are more durable than waxes. Could try Zymol (hellishly expensive but it goes a LONG way; Titanium lasts well in my experience) or Swissvax (ex-Swissol; still pretty pricey but with a good reputation). For VFM and performance, Poorboys and Zaino's seem to take some beating.

I've been unimpressed with Meguiar's Gold Class wax - doesn't last and creates a load of dust buffing off.

For more info (and insiration!) regarding polishing, waxing, etc, see www.detailingworld.co.uk/ . I am assembling my Porter cable 7424 polishing kit - but I'm not obsessive, you understand.
car wax - oldgit
>> By the way NOBODY use a chamois leather any more microfibre clothes are the way
to go these days.

Speak for yourself! You cannot, I say cannot, beat a good quality chamois leather. Microfibre cloths I use with limited success but best of all for cleaning my spectacles but no good for 'leathering off' a car after washing.
The name of the best leathers, sold in Halfords, eludes me at the moment but are the most expensive ones sold there (not their own brand, I hasten to add). The former, when 'run in' produce the best finish on paintwork and glass any time. As a substitute, Autoglym's 'Aquadry' synthetic leathers are fine for perhaps everyday use but don't have the absorbancy of the real thing.
I know that the minute I post this, the name of the good quality leathers will come back to me!
car wax - Mad Maxy
I've switched from chamois to synthetic. More durable, kind to the wax or other sealant, and less likely to retain grit that will impart fine scratches. IMO, of course.
car wax - Dynamic Dave
I use a Hydra flex blade, and finish off with a chamois on the small bits that the blade misses - such as around the door handles and the curvy bits of the bumper. Cuts down the drying time lots.
car wax - sony
bits that the blade misses - such as around the door handles and the curvy
bits of the bumper. Cuts down the drying time lots.

Does this not create small scratches or swirls?? I quite like the idea of this product.
car wax - Dynamic Dave
Does this not create small scratches or swirls??

Hasn't up until now & I've been using it for more than a year now on two different vehicles. The blade is made from a very soft silicone - a lot softer than that of a wiper blade. Before each sweep I run my fingers or the chamois along the blade to make sure the it is clean.

www.wipersupply.com/hydraflexiblade.htm

car wax - sony
Cheers DD will give it a go!
car wax - Dynamic Dave
Sony, I only used that link for info.

I paid less for mine than the R.R.P mentioned in the above link. Something like £6 from Finmere market, IIRC.

Pays to shop around.
car wax - sony
Will probably buy the Turtle wax version. Seems to be the same stuff.
car wax - L'escargot
I know that the minute I post this the name of the good quality leathers
will come back to me!

Russells? tinyurl.com/3dm48a
--
L\'escargot.
car wax - oldgit
>> I know that the minute I post this the name of the good quality leathers
will come back to me!

Pittard's leathers, of course!! Sold in Halfords et.al.
car wax - L'escargot
By the way NOBODY use a chamois leather any more ........

Well, there's me and oldgit for a start! And if nobody uses one why are they so readily available? Shops don't usually stock things that they can't sell.
--
L\'escargot.
car wax - Clk Sec
I've tried synthetic and didn't like it at all. My current squeeze is a good quality chamois bought from Halfords three or four years ago which works well. I think HJ recommended www.grovemillchamois.com in the Telegraph a good while ago. Might try them next time.

Clk Sec
car wax - UncleR
Synthetic chamois? Tried and hated - nowhere near the same absorbency as a real chamois. I use it to apply the Autoglym to my tyres now!
car wax - J Bonington Jagworth
"My current squeeze is a good quality chamois.."

Each to their own.. :-)
car wax - L'escargot
Rolls Royce recommend Swissvax products ~ see tinyurl.com/2aku2s
--
L\'escargot.
car wax - Victorbox
Autoglym Super Resin Polish once a year, plus I now occasionally go over with Autoglym Aquawax which you spray on and spread when car is still wet after washing and simply buff off, same as if you were just drying the car after a normal wash. Doesn't matter if it goes on the unpainted plastic or glass either - but not on the windscreen.
car wax - mrgaryme

I have not read all the replys.... but some advice for black cars... you have to start from scratch. wash the car, then use a cleaning clay which will remove all contamination. to get a mirror no swirls finish use an electric polisher, again your starting from scratch, using a heavy/mild compound with the correct pad, you buff the car all over. it will gleam, but get it outside you will see all the marring that heavy polishing will do. the next step is to use a lighter polish, fine compound, here the claying that you done earlier will start to mean something.. again on black, you still have some way to go to achieve that mirror finish that lasts... the next step is again another extra extra fine polish, this will take away the swirls left from the previous combination of polish/pads. the next step from this if your still looking for mirror image, even when the suns low is to use a detailers spray... this will let you see any swirls that still exist... yes they do believe me! usually in the hardest places to reach or polish without more marring. a collection of cloths is also important, never use the same cloth for wiping away residue... when you`ve reached nirvarna, its tme to wax... too much detail.... well thats why we charge the earth :o)

car wax - oldgit

I have not read all the replys.... but some advice for black cars... you have to start from scratch. wash the car, then use a cleaning clay which will remove all contamination. to get a mirror no swirls finish use an electric polisher, again your starting from scratch, using a heavy/mild compound with the correct pad, you buff the car all over. it will gleam, but get it outside you will see all the marring that heavy polishing will do. the next step is to use a lighter polish, fine compound, here the claying that you done earlier will start to mean something.. again on black, you still have some way to go to achieve that mirror finish that lasts... the next step is again another extra extra fine polish, this will take away the swirls left from the previous combination of polish/pads. the next step from this if your still looking for mirror image, even when the suns low is to use a detailers spray... this will let you see any swirls that still exist... yes they do believe me! usually in the hardest places to reach or polish without more marring. a collection of cloths is also important, never use the same cloth for wiping away residue... when you`ve reached nirvarna, its tme to wax... too much detail.... well thats why we charge the earth :o)

I bet you're not married!
SWMBO would not allow me to spend so much time on a metal box on wheels.

Car wax - Roly93

I personally think that mir is a waste of time, I tried it on my cars and my boat and it is chalky and lo-tech quite frankly.

My no-nonsense advice is if the car is oldish but not delapidated just get some Autoglym Super Resin polish.

If it is under say 4 years old and has been looked after well, try what I consider to be Holy Grail, ie BMW Hardwax - sometimes called Nano wax. You can get this on ebay and it works great on good paintwork.

NO wax these days should leave loads of chalky residue in my mind.

Car wax - carmad46
Try Winter Wax by Greengleam if you can get hold of it. Really good stuff
Car wax - Cluedo

I have tried many different types of wax and polishes in the past but now stick with Bilthamber Autobalm. It is an excellent product and I would strongly recomend it.

See bilthamber.com.