USA wakes up to diesel cars ? - henry k
Watch this space?

"A new report from Boston-based Strategy Analytics says sales of new diesel cars could rival hybrids.
The report, "Diesel Challenges Hybrids in the US," concluded that new, low-sulfur diesel and cleaner-burning diesel engines could help carmakers sell light-duty diesel vehicles in all 50 states.
Diesel vehicles achieve fuel mileage superior to hybrids, and are popular in Europe where fuel is very expensive.
Five states led by California prevent the sale of diesel cars through strict emissions regulations.
But cleaner diesel and new engines from DaimlerChrysler and Honda that convert harmful emissions into harmless nitrogen could have diesels making inroads.
Strategy Analytics predicts that once the new diesel fuel has been approved in the five ultra-low emissions states, which account for 37 percent of hybrid sales, "diesel will challenge hybrid vehicles for the more cost-conscious 'green' consumers."

&
money.cnn.com/2007/05/01/autos/diesels/?postversio...2

USA wakes up to diesel cars ? - Westpig
having just been over there, it amazed me how few pick up trucks/vans, (that were obviously work vehicles), were diesel.......

i'd understand a leisure pick-up as a petrol V8, with petrol as cheap as they have........but not a work van/truck.....struggling no doubt to achieve 10mpg

a stonking great turbo diesel will do all the petrol would and more in the workplace
USA wakes up to diesel cars ? - rogue-trooper
"Diesels performance characteristics should appeal to Americans who like a lot of "off the line" power for quick acceleration, said Allen Schaeffer, executive director of the Diesel Technology Forum"

Hmmm. All my diesel cars have been relatively slow off the mark
USA wakes up to diesel cars ? - rogue-trooper
maybe I don't understand what "off the line" means.

Anyway, I am surprised that this is not more political in USA. They seem to realise that they are so tied to the Gulf states with their thirst for petrol and they are looking for ever more ways to change this. I believe (but I am sure that someone can oput me right) that about 1/4 of all oil drilled goes to US vehicles. If they halved this by turning to DERV then their reliance would be much less. For them I think that this is a much more realistic solution than ethanol
USA wakes up to diesel cars ? - tr7v8
They aren't going to turn to diesels when they are in their eyes so dirty. The US is more concerned with pollutants OTHER than CO2, this is something diesels are particularly bad at hence being banned in various states. Also when petrol is cheap as it is then, their isn't an incentive to run more economical cars. Also Trucks are exempt from a lot of the emissions legislation so another reason not to bother.