Focus ST Wheel vibrations - Hizzett
Hi

I have recently brought a Focus ST on a 02 plate. When the car is at high speed it will get quite shaky at the front end, I know this is possibly the wheels need balancing.
The main concern is that I feel it more in the accelerator pedal. Would this also be caused by unbalanced wheels or could it possibly be another problem?

Many thanks in advance
Focus ST Wheel vibrations - L'escargot
I would expect a wheel balance problem to produce a rotational oscillation of the steering wheel.
--
L\'escargot.
Focus ST Wheel vibrations - Peter D
When you have them balanced get them to carefullt chack the inside edge of the alloys are round. Rotate is by hand slowly on the balancer and check the innder diameter ans the insdie edge of the allow, I've seen a couple of these out of shape, perhaps due to pot holes or aggressive speed bumbs without esing sensible speeds. Regards Peter
Focus ST Wheel vibrations - Number_Cruncher
I would expect a wheel balance problem to produce a rotational oscillation of the steering
wheel.
--
L\'escargot.

>>

Only if it's a front wheel that is out of balance. A rear wheel out of round, out of true, or out of balance will be felt more through the body of the car - seat of the pants, IYSWIM!

Number_Cruncher
Focus ST Wheel vibrations - bell boy
get the fronts balanced and then take it from there is the cheapest option
for n-c ive abreviated the words ;-)
GTFBATTIFTITCO! ;-o IYSWIM INNIT
Focus ST Wheel vibrations - cheddar
PTFWOTR

Sorry, put the front wheels on the rear and try that first! If the vibes move from the steering wheel to your backside then it was the fronts (now the rears) that need balancing. If unchanged then either all four need balancing which would be the next step or you need to look at suspension componnents.
Focus ST Wheel vibrations - L'escargot
IYSWIM!

I do!
--
L\'escargot.
Focus ST Wheel vibrations - local yokel
When you start to hear a drumming from the rear at speeds of 30+ it's time to replace the rear wheel bearings. SWMBO's Focus needed them at 50k. About £100 a side. It's a standard Focus issue.
Focus ST Wheel vibrations - Peter D
Swopping is a waste of time. Careful rotation inspection off the car, balance check and if appropraite re-balance and replace. Regards Peter
Focus ST Wheel vibrations - cheddar
Swopping is a waste of time. >>

If it was me I would start by getting all wheels balance checked /adjusted, though if the OP wants to avoid cost then putting the rears on the front may help get to the bottom of the problem.
Focus ST Wheel vibrations - milkyjoe
i hada similar prob with vibration at the steering wheel , i swapped the fronts to the back and the vibration was then felt toward middle /aft of the car, was the wheels i presume