Help needed quick- Whether to keep c-Max - whoopwhoop
Need opinions to help me decide whether to keep our 54-plate c-Max 2.0 TDCi Zetec with 21k, or swap it for an 06 plate Mondeo 1.8LX with 12.5k.

Both immaculate condition, both Ford direct cars

Both suit our needs

c-Max averaging 43mpg, mondeo fuel comp says 29.9mpg

<10m000 miles per annum

c-Max 1 pervious local private owner

Mondeo previously a rental car

no £ to change - straight swap
Just to add, spec overall similar - c-Max has alloys and colour coded bits and bobs.

Mondeo has wheel trims and black handles, but cruise control and electronic heater control (not climate tho)
Help needed quick- Whether to keep c-Max - BobbyG
Sorry but think only you can decide that? What are your requirements?
Help needed quick- Whether to keep c-Max - cheddar
C-Max.

The 1.8 Mondeo needs to be worked hard (the 2.0 is more flexible) so the 2.0 diesel C-Max is more relaxed to drive, quicker and 505%more economical, it is also at least as well equipped if not better (alloys/fogs) and will hold its value better, i.e. at the respective specs the C-Max at five years old will be worth more than the Mondeo at four years.
Help needed quick- Whether to keep c-Max - paulb {P}
Definitely keep the C-Max. LX-spec Mondeo has wind-up rear windows (unless they have improved the spec). This was one of the reasons I went for a Zetec - that, and climate control as opposed to manual a/c. Also, the 1.8 petrol, while a capable enough engine, will seem feeble after any sort of TDCi (whether Duratorq or Ford/PSA).
Help needed quick- Whether to keep c-Max - cheddar
Definitely keep the C-Max. LX-spec Mondeo has wind-up rear windows (unless they have improved the
spec). This was one of the reasons I went for a Zetec - >>

IIRC Zetec C-Max has wind up rear windows though I agree definitely keep the C-Max.
Help needed quick- Whether to keep c-Max - PhilW
I'm not personally very familiar with either car, but I can't see any obvious reason why you would consider swapping
--
Phil
Help needed quick- Whether to keep c-Max - Jase
Definitely keep the C-Max.

I own a 2.0TDCi Ghia CMax and have travelled many times in a (admittedly 53 reg) 1.8 Mondeo.

The diesel is miles more preferable!
c-max also has windy-uppy rear windows (which doesn't bother me at all)

2.0 TDCi c-Max engine has a ropey reliability rep.... it's been ok so far (touch wood), but rep and reliability surveys suggest they are far from perfect? (EGR particularly)

Economy not a major issue as mileage so low.

THANKS for the opinions though - any more?
Help needed quick- Whether to keep c-Max - Jase
>>replying to whoop whoop>>

I think Ford got on top of the EGR issues but you have several months left on your warranty to address any issues, such as the EGR, ensuring the latest software patches are applied, and the rear window wiper motor recall is done etc..

Also, C-Max's are incredibly comfy, easy to drive and the 2.0TDCi goes like a rocket!

1.8 Mondeo is going to lose you more money on depreciation anyway I think.

>>... I can't see any obvious reason why you would consider swapping

To change a 3 year old car for a 9 month old car with half the mileage, for zero cost ?
Help needed quick- Whether to keep c-Max - PhilW
"54-plate c-Max 2.0 TDCi Zetec with 21k"

If you have only done that mileage in 3 years I still don't see the point of swapping. Especially for a "Mondeo previously a rental car"
But each to his own, especially if you are worried about the reliability of an engine that has only done 21k. The fact that the the 3 year old car with double(?) the mileage can be swapped for the 9 month old Mondeo suggests that it's quite a downgrade - but if it suits your needs and you like it, fair enouugh and, as I say, I am not very familiar with either.
Good luck

--
Phil
Cool, many thanks for the replies - you have confirmed my decision to keep the max is the right one.