Clio timing belt / water pump problem - Cash Sump
Hello, just posting here out of curiosity (great site BTW!)

I had a problem recently with my Clio 1.2 Grande (year 2000) just as it reached the 60,000 mile mark. The car had been losing cooling water for a few weeks and needed to be topped up regularly, then the timing belt failed one evening. The AA reckoned the water pump was the source of the leak, the pump had collapsed and as a result taken out the timing belt.

However on inspection at the garage the pump showed no sign of having collapsed and still turned freely. The water pump was replaced and encouragingly there have been no further leaks. The timing belt had certainly never been changed on the car before (my book recommended doing that at 72,000 miles), could it have been a coincidental problem, or could the slightest of problems with the water pump (like it running dry for example) cause the belt to fail?

As mentioned I'm curious to find out after having paid out over £500 on repairs caused by the timing belt breaking :-(

Clio timing belt / water pump problem - injection doc
I Think you may find the belt was due at 72000 or 5 years which ever sooner. Belts on renaults have a habit of not quite making there milage, I had a client whose belt failed at 71900 miles on the way to our premises to have a new belt fitted , how bad is that!.
Advise you change the belt frequently its cheaper
Regards
Clio timing belt / water pump problem - Altea Ego
Clios are renown for belts not making the recomended interval. A large proprtion of the problem is caused by water pumps but not always. For this reason I had the belt done on the wifes clio at 5 years and 45k miles. Before I had a chance to mention it, the garge said you will need the pump changed as well. It was.

It has to be said however, any water pump can leak. On any car. Its often nothing more than the seal going,.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >