What is Gasoil - happychappy
Afternoon All,

We are interested in purchasing a VW Golf GT TDi PD 130 2002 Model.

We have looked at the car and it look nice and clean. Gleaming polished exterior. Interior has some wear to drivers seat but the rest is like new.

The guy selling it has told us he has ran the car on gas oil.
My question is what is gas oil?
Is it just another name for diesel as we have always run petrol cars so dont know technical names for diesel.

What is Gasoil - Armitage Shanks {p}
We sell standard gasoil (sometimes called heating oil) containing 2000 ppm (parts per million) sulphur. It is duty-rebated (dyed red) for off-road applications.

We also sell an ultra low sulphur gasoil containing much lower levels of sulphur (under 50ppm) and offering environmental and health benefits, particularly when used in confined places.

We publish the quality certificates for each batch of product on our website, so you can check our quality yourself online. See our fuel quality results page for more information.

It appears, from the above, that it is either central heating oil or diesel dyed red and only for use where duty is not payable ie agricultural use. Check the facts or steer clear!
is the info you posted directly copied from another website?
so the car has been run on off road fuel?
does that mean the engine is knackered? (is it like putting diesel in a petrol engine or vice versa?)
What is Gasoil - quizman

Gasoil is what the French call diesel, I think!!!
I googled for 'gasoil' and cut and pasted the info I found. It is up to you to ask what the vendor means by gas oil. I suggest that unless this is the only 2002 Golf that you can find and you fancy trouble with the car and with the people who stop cars and dip their tanks to check for the presence of 'red' diesel, that you look for another car. Is the seller private or trade, what do you know about him/them? SFAIK nobody in UK calls car diesel gasoil, that isn't what it is called on the pumps at the garage is it?
What is Gasoil - Bromptonaut
Are you outwith the UK or is the vendor a non english speaker. Gasoil or Gazole is a fairly common translation of diesel in France and maybe elsewhere in Europe. It's not a term I'd recognise in mainland GB usage, but possibly different in (the island of) Ireland
What is Gasoil - mrnikko
Gas Oil is diesel dyed red for rebated users that is Farmers, Agricultural and Forestry contrctors and those who have the requirements to use it.
Heating oil is called kerosene and as it says on the tin it is for heating purposes only
On the continent diesel is often referred to as gasoil and diesel but it is exactlly the same product.
If your seller has been using gasoil in the car i.e red diesel and if h.m customs and excise stop you and check the fuel and find you are using a car with red diesel you will be in deep poo,
If the car has done say 50,000 miles the revenue people will want the unpaid duty back unless you can produce a certificate of exemception that farmers have if they wish to use a car on the road for so many miles a year.
The red dye is permanent by the way in gas oil
Steer clear my friend if the car has had red diesel in and not declared to the customs
Come to think of it, like mrnikko says the term is used in UK for agri diesel. Aside from any complications with it not meeting the required standards fro modern diesel cars the implications of the (persistent) trace dye in agri diesel giving the game away are too grave to contemplate.

Walk.
What is Gasoil - Lud
If the guy is French or Italian, he means diesel. If he's British, ask what he means by gasoil.
What is Gasoil - GregSwain
I've worked at a big petrol station before, and "Gasoil" refers to red diesel as previous posters have said. Legally you can use it for agricultural vehicles, generators, and the local authorities can run their vehicles on it. It is NOT legal for road use by the general public as its red colour denotes that normal duty has not been paid. If the powers that be were to dip your tank and find red diesel you'd be in DEEP doo-doo. Red diesel burns a bit dirtier than normal diesel, and the excess smoke and strange paraffin-like smell might give the game away and attract PC Plod's attention.

So....if the last owner's run it on red diesel i'd drain the entire fuel system, flush it through, change the fuel filter and re-prime the system with normal diesel before doing anything else. The engine won't have suffered, but your wallet might if you're suspected of running it on gasoil.
What is Gasoil - bathtub tom
"the local authorities can run their vehicles on it. "

Really? I work for a local authority, and we fill up at public pumps.
"the local authorities can run their vehicles on it. "
Really? I work for a local authority and we fill up at public pumps.

Suspect GS means LA vehicles like lawnmowers or cemetery diggers.
What is Gasoil - GregSwain
Suspect GS means LA vehicles like lawnmowers or cemetery diggers.

I may be wrong, but I was fairly sure that certain LA road-going vehicles could use red-diesel, although the only people I ever saw using the gasoil pump were filling drums rather than vehicles. Irrelevant really as the OP's Golf wasn't a LA vehicle. Certainly their diggers etc can run on it, as can any privately-owned diesel engine which is not part of a road-going vehicle. Doesn't stop people from doing it though!
i have asked the owner and he said that hes used red diesel. is this same as gas oil?

will the engine have suffered with red diesel.
I read somewhere that vw pd engines were very sensitive, and needed special care. dont know if thats true.

we dont want to buy a car that will cause us problems.
if I buy it and emptythe tank and then just fill it up like normal will that sort out the problem?
What is Gasoil - Blue {P}
Red diesel is the stuff that is not legal for use on the highways.

It also isn't supposed to be as healthy for the engine as normal diesel, I'd steer well clear if I were you.

Blue
Nothing will sort out the problem that the car has been run on 'Red' diesel and that if this is detected in a road side check, which it can be for years later, you will be in deep poo with the Tax Man. This is a 5 year old car which has been run on illegal fuel and for how long? The engine may or may not have been affected, why take the risk? 3 seperate posts have warned you of the tax and legal implications of this car apart from the possible mechanical ones, why not look for something else?
What is Gasoil - Altea Ego
The guy obviously has no regard for risk, and is a cheapskate.

You really dont want to buy a car from someone like that I doubt he has cared too much for this car either. You are buying a shed load of agro.

Run away from this deal as far and as fast as you can,
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Oh and if if HM customs and Revenue detect that red diesel has been used this car they can seize and crush the car.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
What is Gasoil - local yokel
Is it possible that the seller is not UK-born, and is using the term gas oil as a direct but inaccurate translation from another language/culture/

I think all this peculation that the seller has been running it on red diesel, kerosene, chip fat, whale blubber etc. is more than a bit speculative. I realise this is the internet, but the chances that he's been doing anything else than filling it up at the black pump are pretty small.

> i have asked the owner and he said that hes used red diesel.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
What is Gasoil - Gromit {P}
"Gasoil" in French means normal diesel. No problem there.

"Marked Gas Oil" means red diesel. For the reasons mentioned above, avoid any car suspected of running on it.

"Laundered" (or any form of nod-nod, wink-wink) diesel means marked gas oil that has been illegally treated - usually with acid - to remove the dye. Obviously, burning acid residue left in the diesel in your engine doesn't do it good. The contaminated acid/dye/diesel sludge that gets dumped in ditches, laybys, illegal dumping grounds etc. doesn't do the environment any good. Avoid any car suspected of running on it like the plague.
What is Gasoil - defender
as said gas oil = red diesel , empty tank and flush system after changing filters ,make sure it is properly done and you wont be in any danger
just remember that the delivery tanker often has both red and white on board and only one pump and delivery hose so obviously small traces do no harm
OP will still be in 'danger' - not much but some - of falling foul of roadside checks. What is so marvellous about this car (certainly not its history) or perhaps a keen price to reflect the likely problems? Way, way easier to find a proper car with a proper history.
What is Gasoil - bell boy
why not run on red diesel?
because people that do are usually low life that buy this stuff off the backs of waggons
A guy i know used to sell this and to make the numbers up used to add water or anything else to hand.
I spent 3 hours the other month helping a friend clean his fork lift out at the breakers after he had filled up with red diesel from an unknown source.
Anybody buying a modern diesel and running on this stuff needs a check up from the neck up
What is Gasoil - defender
Anybody buying a modern diesel and running on this stuff needs a check up from the neck up
bell boy there are a lot of modern diesels running on red diesel or gasoil , tractor engines with pd fuel systems are not harmed by gas oil and many of them cost vast amounts more than a car engine,the days of poor quality fuel are gone and it is ordinary fuel with dye in now as all new diesels have to comply with emmisions regs no matter what they are used for .
there is a lot of scare stories to prevent red being used but mostly untrue .
and for the record I do not approve of red being used where it should not
i need to reiterate then
if you are running a vehicle on red you are usually transfering from an unknown container N0T a designated pump
this is why i said dont buy the vehicle as there is a good chance the fuel is contaminated
i can colour my own diesel in my own commercials if i had a theft problem, so this is not a concern i have
What is Gasoil - oilrag
If he has been too `thrifty` to use proper, legal road diesel, I wonder what he used as engine oil in the sump?
What is Gasoil - 659FBE
I used to test engines for as living - many of them big diesels. There is absolutely no problem with red fuel used legally; in fact I preferred it as there was less beaurocratic paperwork from HMC (as were). These engines were never used on public roads.

Aside from the legalities, you have to watch fuel specification and cleanliness. Water and dirt are killers in diesel fuel and the two specificational aspects which will affect total engine longevity are the fuel's lubricity and its cetane value. If all of these aspects are in order there is no problem with red fuel.

Assuming that you can be satisfied with the quality of fuel he has used (probably a tall order), I would strongly suggest keeping all fuel receipts whilst the vehicle is in your ownership. Contrary to some stories, HMRC have to work within the law and you cannot reasonably be held responsible for others' misdemeanours. The red fuel will be virtually untraceable after the second filter change (including strainer) and about 20 tank refills. The chances of being pulled in are very small unless you frequent hot spots such as livestock auctions.

the reason we are very interested in this car is the price?
he wants £4000 for it where others are advertised for £5000 with similar age,mileage,spec.

I dont want to buy a money pit where the engine blows up because its been run on illegal fuel.
I will run my car on BP ultimate diesel, I have read its very good.

the reason we are very interested in this car is the price?
he wants £4000 for it where others are advertised for £5000 with similar age mileage
spec.

Ask yourself..

Why is it cheap. SO cheap.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Ask yourself..
Why is it cheap. SO cheap.

>
>
>>>>>>>> should read
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CHEAP ;0-OOOO

OP you have had the benefit of everyone just buy it then you can start another thread,why does my car not run?
why do you think seller advised it ran on red?
so he is not culpable when everything goes #### up next month/year
What is Gasoil - quizman

I can't understand why the seller has told you that the car has been run on red diesel. The whole idea is to keep quiet about it! I know some people use red, but as has been said you would be in deep trouble if found out.

If the car has been run on red, I don't think it will have harmed it and if you think it looks OK I would buy it. Many white vans with towing hitches are run on red diesel, the authorities do not bother with these vehicals because the owners have no permanent address, if you get my drift!

I have got a tank with 500 gallons of red diesel for agricultural use. I have 2 diesel cars and a Landrover, I have never ever used red in them.

If I had I wouldn't tell anyone.

i really dont know wether to buy it.
it appears to be a good car. drives well. looks good. no oil leaks etc and the price is good.
but if i get into trouble because its has gasoil in it in the past, or the engine or injectors get knackered because of it it may end up cost me a few thousands to put rightand that wipes out the bargain price.

what should i do
You have been on the site for a bit over one day, you have asked a sensible qustion and have got 32 answers - read them and make up your own mind! I can see which way the balance of the comments goes - can you? Nobody is going to 'tell you what to do' but you have enough information on which to work it out for yourself. (Are you a betting man and what odds do you fancy?)
we have decided to give it a miss
its not the only golf in the world!
not worth the aggro
thanks guys for your informative replies.
What is Gasoil - rtj70
Glad to hear you're not risking it. As soon as "red diesel" confirmed the apparent saving never worth the risk. Personally I'd alert HMRC of the seller but that's me. Owner has "saved" money which is tax they should have paid.