nissan serena sgx 2.0 petrol gearbox - jimmymumu
right, i've got a 1993 nissan serena sgx 2.0 petrol with a 5 speed manual gearbox. my problem may be 2 fold but i'm not sure. firstly i'm having trouble getting it into gear when the engine is first started. after about 10 minutes the gearbox is still very notchy but it does go in not sure if its a clutch or gearbox problem. the clutch does not slip at all but the clutch pedal is very low. we've replaced the slave cylinder and while it is/was slightly better the problem is still there, we've also checked the oil in the gearbox which is ok.

the second problem is we've devloped a strange clunking sound, at first we thought shockers so we changed them. ball joints seem ok to. any ideas please. thanks
nissan serena sgx 2.0 petrol gearbox - Aprilia
Sounds like a clutch problem (clutch drag) - possibly the centre plate binding on its splines due to accumulated muck and old grease. Is it the original?
i believe it is but couldn't say for sure
is there a way to flush out the clutch or is it a case of taking it apart.
nissan serena sgx 2.0 petrol gearbox - Aprilia
You would have to remove the gearbox and replace the clutch - cleaning up the gearbox splines at the same time. Its not a difficult job for a garage - about 2-3 hours labour and around £100 in parts.
cheers mate
nissan serena sgx 2.0 petrol gearbox - CooperS1275
jimmymumu Hi,
I have a serena 2.0i SGX 1993 also and have exactly the same problems both clunking from steering and gearbox selectionproblem. I changed the rollbar bushes on the front seemed a little better but need to replace leaking shock and hoping that will fix it (only clunks going over speed bumps and potholes). ?can't see what else it could be unless you could tell me ?have solved your problem?
Gearbox same problem so changed oil made things worse! (yeah did put in the right oil).selecting 2nd from 1st seems particularly bad when cold but like yours, when warm much better? Mine has original clutch 102000 miles and gearbox fault only developed about a year ago. Did changing/cleaning the clutch work for you??

Cheers mate!