Grand Scenic - full review. - DP
OK, drove a couple of hundred miles or so in the Scenic over the weekend, and I've got to know it a bit better. These are my thoughts:

Engine and performance:
The smooth, relaxed nature of the 1.9 dCi engine suits the car perfectly. Apart from a slight vibration and a little clatter at idle, it's completely inoffensive and largely inaudible when on the move. It's a little "dead" at the very bottom of the rev range, but nothing compared to the bottom end chasm of the Mondeo. It does lack that "pull from nothing" feel and bottom end welly of a VAG PD unit though. That said, from 1500 RPM the boost builds smoothly, and from 2,000 RPM, it responds instantly to small changes in throttle [sic] position with a smooth, linear wave of torque. It will pull smoothly to an indicated 4000 RPM without any apparent tail off in acceleration. NVH levels are among the lowest of any diesel I've ever driven, and noise levels from inside the car are lower than the 1.6 petrol version we also drove.

Performance is fine in the context of an MPV. Performance figures vary depending on where you look, with 0-60 being quoted as anything between 10 and 12 seconds in various magazines. I would guess the lower half of this range to be accurate, as the Mondeo was quoted as 12.1 and there is just no comparison on the road.

As always with a diesel, it's the midrange where things gel best, and despite a hugely tall 6th gear, you don't need to drop out of top at anything above 50 mph on the motorway. If you do need to pull out in a hurry, dropping to 5th sees swift, effortless motorway overtakes at all half legal speeds. The gearbox itself is surprisingly short of throw, and the change quality is very good -it's no hardship to change down.

As of the end of yesterday, the computer reckoned we'd averaged 41.9 mpg since we picked it up. Haven't refilled it yet, so can't say how accurate this is. I don't think that's bad for a tonne and a half of car though.

Handling and ride:

The car is very softly sprung which translates into a very comfortable ride around town. At higher speeds, the suspension is less convincing, and the ride can feel a little fidgety over motorway bumps. Float over undulations and crests is well damped generally, but again at higher speeds it can feel a little flustered. I guess this shows how superb the Mondeo was in that even with 130k on the clock it had better composure at speed, and better bump absorption, but the Renault is by no means a duffer. It's just not as polished.

I was very critical of the electric PAS early on, but familiarity has improved my view slightly. It does actually have some feel, although the weighting is artifical and there's a horrible "rubbery" feel to the self-centring action. Again, the Mondeo (and our Fiesta) "chatter" through the steering constantly in response to surface changes and bumps, and the Renault in comparison seems to filter all this out as if it were an unwanted nuisance. I miss it, for one, but maybe I'm in a minority. A little gets through, but it definitely lacks that feeling of directness and near-perfect weighting that I'm used to with both Fords.

Handling itself is actually very competent, but any confidence is reduced because you can't really feel what's going on. Body roll is nowhere near as bad as the soft springing would suggest, and for a tall vehicle, stability feels very good. It understeers gently at the limit, and the nose will come back into line with a lift. That's the extent of the throttle adjustability on offer, but I keep reminding myself it's an MPV and not built for such things. The benefit of this isolation from the mechanical bits is a fantastic sense of refinement. There is virtually no road or suspension noise, and this combined with the quiet engine mentioned earlier makes for a relaxed car with general noise levels that wouldn't be out of place on a £30k exec car.

Equipment and comfort:

This is the Scenic's trump card, along with practicality. It has superb seats which feel a little squishy on first encounter, but support in all the right places. The driving position cannot reasonably be faulted with a huge range of adjustment on both seat and wheel, and a little stubby gearlever which falls neatly to hand, and can be moved by a flick of the wrist with your arm resting on the perfectly placed centre armrest. Visibility is excellent, the digi-dash very effective, and overall it's just a very pleasant place to be.

The dash plastics are of good quality and the trim seems to have shrugged off 36,000 miles of use without showing signs of wear. There's an intermittent squeak from somewhere down in the driver's footwell and another from the load area, but they're not intrusive. Build quality in comparison to the Renaults of yesteryear is in a different league, although it somehow doesn't feel as robust as the Mondeo, despite nicer touchy feely plastics. This is just gut feeling though, and I have no evidence to back it up.

The panoramic sunroof is superb, allowing huge amounts of light into the car when the blinds are retracted, and giving an almost convertible feel when fully retracted. The kids are smitten with it. There's a little wind noise from it over 80 mph, which the dealer is looking at when it goes in for a service on Wednesday. They didn't seem concerned by this over the phone, and reckoned it could be sorted easily.

As for the kit list, the only things I can think it doesn't have are cruise control, leather, electric seats and full climate (it has "basic" air-con). Everything else you could reasonably think of, and a lot you couldn't, are present. It all works too. We have already fallen in love with the keyless operation, but I still don't like the electric parking brake, even if it does, in fairness, work very well.

Practicality

The boot is vast, which is why we went for the Grand ( we won't need the 7 seats more than very occasionally). I like the way the rear seats slide forwards to give more bootspace, or rearwards to give more legroom. I like the cubby holes everwhere and the huge air-conditioned glovebox. I particularly like the integral rear sunblinds and the picnic tables on the seat backs.
Not having anywhere to store the rear load cover when the extra seats are in use, and the boot carpet which slides around are minor annoyances. The grey plastic bumpers seem to mark easily as well.

Summary:

The first few miles are where you normally find irritating things about a car which you didn't notice on the test drive, and this has been true to an extent. It has a couple of squeaks inside I didn't pick up, and the sunroof is noisy at a "realistic" motorway cruise as opposed to the legal limit. But on the whole it's exactly what I hoped for. It's a spacious, very comfortable, very refined and a very pleasant car to use. It encourages a more sedate driving style which can only be a good thing with kids in the car, and driven thus, rewards with noise levels and comfort which are as soothing as any half-affordable exec car I've been in. It's no drivers car, and I know the C-MAX would have been a much more entertaining prospect, but it has a level of practicality which ticked all our boxes. We also both liked the styling.

As long as it remains reliable, and doesn't cost a fortune to keep running, I very much look forward to this being our main family transport for the foreseeable future, and would recommend anyone looking for a practical midi-MPV to give one serious consideration.
Grand Scenic - full review. - boxsterboy
Interesting review, thanks.

Our C8 is nearly 4 years old and I'm in half a mind to replace it with something a bit more versatile - i.e. with seats that fold into the floor. The C8 is massive if you take the seats out for runs to the dump, but it is a bit of a job to get them all out and back in again. Seats that fold into the floor would be a lot easier - assuming the mechanism doesn't get clogged with debris.

We only need 7 seats very occasionally, but do need them, and a Grand Scenic, together with C4 Grand Picasso and S-Max seem likely contenders as a replacement at present. The only flies in the ointment are that we are used to the excellent sliding doors on the C8 and the Mrs BB will want a diesel auto, which limits the choice a bit.
Grand Scenic - full review. - tanvir
have you looked at the mazda 5? that has 7 seats and sliding doors
Grand Scenic - full review. - boxsterboy
have you looked at the mazda 5? that has 7 seats and sliding doors

Yes, I noticed one the other day and thought I should add it to the list. Presumably it's available with the Ford/PSA 2.0 HDI, but only with a manual box?
Grand Scenic - full review. - a900ss
I looked at a Mazda 5 before I chose the S-Max. Two things put me off, strange seating arrangement in middle row (either it will work for you or it won't) and no cruise control option.

Good Luck choosing
Grand Scenic - full review. - Altea Ego
IF you are into Mazda 5 size, then you need to look seriously at the Touran. Its is without doubt the most practical in everyday life. Large enough boot for 5 people and luggage (none with the two extra seats up of course) All three middle (back) seats fold tumble or come out, individudally
and all three take a car seat.

I have had 3 metres of old worktop complete with sink in situ down the dump in it. With the seats out is exactly like a caddy van (cos thst what it is). I have had two adult bikes, missus and dog in it. Its pheonomillay right sized and practical.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Grand Scenic - full review. - a900ss
I have to agree with TVM. My final choice was between the S-Max and the Touran after discounting all the others. The Touran had the real quality feel, the S-Max had the style and extra space. I really couldn't decide and let the wife choose!!! She preferred the S-Max and that's what I went with.
Grand Scenic - full review. - BobbyG
Excellent review DP and as an owner of a Scenic dci for last 3 years (not a Grand though) I echo many of your comments.

In particular I agree with your opinion of it compared to rivals. As mentioned in another thread, my PCP is up and I now need to decide whether to make that final payment or swap cars.

But I have looked at all the rivals and frankly, I do not see anything that is better than what I have in the MPV sector. My car has all the toys, OK it has had a few problems and niggles but nothing too bad.

I have heard all the horror stories about the Renault dci engines and their poor electrics and this slightly concerns me, especially as my car will be out of warranty.

But at the end of the day, I can now pay £5500 and buy a car that I have owned since new, know its faults and problems but most importantly, know its history. Its hard to argue against that no matter how much I want a CR-V!
Grand Scenic - full review. - DP
Thanks for the positive comments!

Just picked it up from the 36k service at the local Renault dealer where I also asked for the sunroof to be looked at.

Roof has a bent guide which they don't stock (they rarely go apparently). Will be done under warranty - didn't even have to ask. They've ordered the bit and will call me when it's in. They've managed to do a repair for now which has massively improved it. In fact, it looks perfect, although I was warned it would probably go back to how it was after a couple of open/close cycles.

Car is idling noticeably smoother (one of DP jrs toys hanging from the back seat was buzzing slightly before and now it's not), and it drives nicely. Very impressed with the dealer actually. Lots of time taken to explain things. They found slightly lipped front discs (which I knew about) but they'll be OK until the next pad change. Pads about 50% worn, two worn tyres (which will be done at the weekend) but other than that, no problems found. Bill came to £260 which considering this was a major "B" Service (air filter + fuel filter as well as standard items) I thought was quite reasonable for a main agent. It's over £100 less than we paid for the same thing on our old MX-5.

Still very happy and now I know the dealer is helpful, it's made me feel a lot more confident if I do run into problems.

Oh and the previous servicing dealer has removed the tyre pressure monitors and disabled the warning system, which I am assured is a Good Thing. They are a complete nightmare apparently.

Cheers
DP
Grand Scenic - full review. - Altea Ego
> They are a complete nightmare apparently.

Absolutley. On the laguna -

Special valve caps, one for each wheel, ccolour coded, mustnt get them mixed up, never work again after you have pumped up the tyres, need to be reset by dealer.....

If you havent got run flats its a feature you dont want or need.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Grand Scenic - full review. - R40
Was fortunate to hire a brand new Grande Scenic for a five person four days last weekend on a (old) boys jaunt around Berlin and Eastern Germany. It had only 277 kilometres on it. I was very impressed. It came with cruise, leather, climate and sensors front and rear plus built in sat nav which worked well once I had figured how to change the language to English. Climate controls for driver and front passenger. Superb Bluetooth phone integration into the car system. Parking brake fine once got used to - a plethora of unclear marked switches and a manual in German only did make for a few challenges lol

Was very impressed with the Diesel performance - even in 6th gear at 150km/h + it would pull willingly, and the mid range gave plenty of oomph. Very comfortable leather seats and trim. Had one wobbly with the electronics when the tailgate refused to open and gave a boot jammed warning message (in German of course!) - it reset fine after a few K.

This one had the tyre pressure monitors and related screen display that only showed three tyres :( Tyres were all fine though.

Never fancied Renaults but would be happy to recommend this one - a great car for long distances with plenty of room.

hth
Grand Scenic - full review. - R40
err...............load of tosh I wrote there :( A mate has rightly pointed out that I was driving a Grande Espace doh!

Still, it was a very nice car...................