Leaky Radiator - Garry
After driving on the motorway last weekend, I have noticed a small blue bead of coolant on the centre of my radiator. I wipe it off but it returns though not immediately and there has been no noticeable drop in coolant levels. I am thinking of putting something like 'stop that leak' into the radiator, just in case the situation deteriorates, but will this inhibit the effectiveness of the coolant (as well as discolour the coolant) or is this all a waste of time as I will need a new radiator eventually.
Re: Leaky Radiator - Richard Turpin
Change the radiator unless the car is on it's last legs anyway. You don't say what it is. Some cars will not boil over even with the radiator cap missing. If this works on yours, the consequent lack of pressure will probably stop the leak.
To answer the second part of your question, I have never known Radweld or similar to cause any damage, but it's not effective for ever on a pressurised system in my experience.
Re: Leaky Radiator - Dave
I put Radweld in my old mark2 cavalier when one of the core plugs on the cylinder block started weeping. 5 yrs on and no sign of the leak appearing again, even with 2 subsequent coolant changes with no additon of more Radweld. It was a damn sight cheaper spending £2.99 on the Radweld than spending the £150 + to have the exhaust manifold removed by the local Vauxhall garge to get to the offending leaky core plug and replace it.
Re: Leaky Radiator - Brian
I was told that the main constituent of Radweld is ground up almond shells.
(If you want to wind up SHMBO enlighten her that shoe polish and lipstick are identical apart from the colour and flavour)