RAV4 - David
Does anyone have any experiece of the new Toyota RAV4 good or bad
Re: RAV4 - KB
My wifes boss bought one as he said it was the most comfortable with regard to his dodgy back. He remains pleased with it.

Almost every roadtest/review I read speaks highly of it, but they all say it's not as capable offroad as the "proper, landrover type" of 4x4, as indeed you would not expect it to be. It's made for a particular market and serves that particular purpose well. I was more than impressed when I looked at it recently (not that that means anything), and at the right price would favour it, albeit with the diesel option. The Honda (new) CRV has similar appeal but is petrol only at present and a diesel option seems some way off. Little to choose between them.

KB.
Re: RAV4 - Andy P
Just for info, the CRV is the second best selling soft-roader in the UK after the Freelander, so it must be fairly good.

Andy
Re: RAV4 - Mark (Brazil)
>>Just for info, the CRV is the second best selling soft-roader in the UK after the Freelander, so it must be fairly good.

So therefore the Freelander, in first place, must be absolutely excellent ?

Please Stuart, let me.......
Oh dear........back to Freelanders again. How long will this one last?

If the good Lord above did away with Freelanders and speed cameras, what *would* we find to talk about?

KB.
Re: RAV4 - Andy P
Judging by the poor showing in the J D Power survey, I have a strong hunch that people are buying it for the Land Rover badge, with a car thrown in for free.

Andy
Re: RAV4 - Andy Bairsto
Do not take either of road and do not tow with either and you will be ok.
Re: RAV4 - Mark (Brazil)
Diesel versus petrol
OK. Good idea....................... Part A - The last time I had a diesel vehicle, I was daft enough to put petrol in the tank (although not enough to do any damage). Anyone got a horror story and how much did it cost to put right?

Hasten to add it wasn't a diesel Freelander.

Part B - Having just seen a bit on the TV about a young man finding it difficult not to tear-arse round the streets in his petrol Peugeot and was dissuaded from doing so by the antics of a BBC crew/stunt driver etc. I suggest that he buy a non turbo diesel instead. Nothing like a maximum rpm of about 4000 with max torgue a good deal lower to change your driving style.

KB.
Re: RAV4 - SimonD
Bought a 2001 new RAV4 auto for the wife's use last year from Tins on an import from Europe.

She loves it, the car drives nicely and I added Toyota Sat Nav myself for just over £800 which invisibly upgrades the standard radio.

It's far better built than the Freeloader and I've owned two (old model) CRVs in the past and it's better than them also to drive.

My previous LR Disco SerII ownerships meant I spent a fair bit of time in Freeloader loan cars whilst being repaired (sound familiar?) and I thought these were fragile crap with an interior reminiscent of a Maestro. Every time I get into one I can see the hand of Maestro in the interior.

So all up I like the RAV4. It's an honest reliable car that you wouldn't cross the Sahara desert in, but if you had to you'd be more likely to stay alive than in a Landrover because the engine would keep running.

I guess the best endorsement is that whilst dismantling the RAV to put Sat Nav in, I was so impressed with the build (compared to LR) that I went out and bought a new Toyota Amazon diesel. And, LR owners, guess how many times that has been back for warranty work, ha ha. And it's fitted with a diesel up to pulling it's weight.

Won't be buying a new Ranger whatever the press say - none of these boys have to organise their lives around all the warranty work - I'll wait and see what drops off 'em first.........