Cavalier Misfiring on tickover?? - tattooist
Hy Guys, new to this site,my name is ian im a tattooist,must say looking through it looks realy good!!
Right to my problem,i have a M reg 18i cavalier single port injec,it goes like the wind,YET wont tick over properly,and stinks of petrol,out the exhaust??
its MISFIRING,sounds like a diesel,iv checked the plugs clean,i checked the leads,(got a shock of all of them) good spark,iv tryed every thing i can think of???the managedment light is NOT on???i had a problem with the alternator,and it BLEW the bulb on the dash board,just had a new one fitted ,would you think it could be a sensor??if so wich one??im no merchanic??i can do most things but being disabled i find i hard to keep hanging in and out the bonnet,and its no better!!i have a manual and tool kit ,just need a few sergestions,ANY help would be brill so come on an make my day(may get you a free tattoo)

Thank you Ian
Cavalier Misfiring on tickover?? - Perfection
How did you get the shock? Was this at the spark or when you touch th leads? If you received a shock when you touched the leads, its like you need a new set. (The insulation is broken down).
Thanks for you superfast reply,i got it at the plug end,while trying to place on a good ground,its hard to reach from a wheelchair,LOL (thought the tyers would inserlate me)
WRONG
Cavalier Misfiring on tickover?? - Perfection
Was this ticking over problem only occurred after your alternator problem?
Cavalier Misfiring on tickover?? - bell boy
sounds like a worn out cam or lobe to me
suggest a compression test for starters
if only a fimger is worn then a s/h one can usually be slotted in quite easily
these engines like oil changes tattooist so keep to the schedule and they will last forever (the best of the last of real vauxhalls
Cavalier Misfiring on tickover?? - injection doc
Its a long shot but easy to check, undo brake servo pipe of manifold & run with hole in manifold blocked up its just possible your brake servo has a big air leak & when its ticking over 1 cylinders getting too much air.
Cam is worth a check as Bell boy says , as they wear the slippers under the finger can jump out..they are renowned for blowing h-gasket between cylinders or between cylinder and oil gallery so doesn't effect cooling system.
They don't buildem like they used to! looked after they were good for 170,000 at least
Hi, thanks to you all ,Checked the cam fine,also the compression,175 with the foot of the gas,200 with on all 4 pots, the same,tryed the gaskets around the intake,sprayed some carb cleaner while running,no diffrent,
the problem just seemed to be there one day, but a bit worse after a week or so??

Cavalier Misfiring on tickover?? - topbloke
can i assume that this is the 1800 engine with the egr valve on the inlet manifold, if it is they do tend to tickover like a dog sounds like its sucking air, there is a vac pipe that comes off/perishes on this engine from the rocker cover if memory serves me right also one round the back of the manifold, must admit that i would have thought that the wheels/tyres would have stopped a shock !
Hi yes its the 1800i,it used to tick over normal,realy smooth,at about 1000 rpm now its down to 700/800,its the petrol smell as well,with it being my disability car,iv had a few mods done over the years,(no legs,)(i couldent dance any way!)and to have a new car converted would cost a furtune,pluss iv had her from new and as i said it goes brill,
now we have all this emissions it wont pass her next test,plus i want it right ,if it catches fire iv had it.
Cavalier Misfiring on tickover?? - sine
Is the smell from the exhaust of unbunt fuel, or is it part burned and accompanied by smoke?
Hi there its from the exhaust,and it realy smells quite strong??
iv just clamped the servo pipe and still the same,a few years ago i had a simler problem with the ie choke coming on and black smoke from the exhaust this was the water sensor which was going from 0/90 in a few seconds thus puthing the choke on and flooding the thing!!but this is just misfiring???this one has me beat??the engine has only covered 75 thousand mile,and is perfect in every orther way,
regular sevcices,
Cavalier Misfiring on tickover?? - injection doc
It may be worth a diagnostic check, live data info etc & a fuel pressure check! it could be worth removing the fuel return pipe at the single point housing & putting a fresh pipe on it into a container to see what return flow is like. A crimped or blocked return flow causes too much fuel pressure causing a rich mixture. The single point injector could have a leaking O ring causing excessive fuel going in. I can't remember whether yours has an AFM or MAP sensor . if it has a MAP sensor you need to check the vacum pipe isn't split or sensor failed.
Cam belt hasn't jumped a couple of teeth ????
Just a few ideas for you to check
I have on occasions had those awfull dizzy caps give no end of obscure faults if its just misfiring and not too rich & belts ok may be worth a change.
If its fitted with champion plugs throw them as far away as you can!
hope all this helps Regards
Cavalier Misfiring on tickover?? - Peter D
Worth checking the water temp sensor from memory should be around 1200 ohms at 80 degrees C. is it is 5K plus, then the choke is coming on thus the rich fuel smell. Regards Peter
Thanks to all,ill try all the tips,and let you know how we get on??
just bought a new set of plug leads of EVILBAY so will try them, as and when they get here??

Thanks Ian