Insurance fun and games - flunky
Just bought a 53 plate Volvo S80 2.5 litre Turbo for £7k.

I'm 24, had my licence for 3 years, and also 3 years' NCB.

Whacked the number plate into one of the comparison sites. Best price after fiddling with the voluntary excess: £700 for fully comp via a broker. Not too bad, so I submit it (this was on the 14th).

Documents got delayed due to insufficient postage from the insurance company.

When they eventually turned up, it said:

Volvo S80 T SE
2435 CC

Er, no, mine is a 2521cc.

So I called them up, and said 'there's an error on the certificate, can you change it'.

So they said they'd do it.

They just called me back 'sorry, the insurers won't insure an under-25 on that car, and I've tried 30 other insurers, and the best price with a high excess is £1700'

Me: 'WHAAAAT, it's only 76cc more, and 220bhp vs 210bhp, it can't make any difference.'

So I've cancelled the insurance.

I've looked on ABI, and it appear that the S80 2.4 T (2435cc) is group 15 out of 20, and group 31 out of 50 on the new rating. The group is the same for both S and SE trims

The S80 2.5 T (2521cc), which I have is also group 15/31, except the SE trim, which I have, is group 16/33.

So it looks like what's happened is that many insurers will take me in the Group 15, but not the Group 16 car, as a young driver, and if I'd got the S trim, I'd still be in the same insurance group as the 2.4l, but my leather seats and 8-speaker sound system would cost me an extra £1000/year in insurance.

I tried online and the best price is £1088 with £500 excess.

Anyway, as it happens my birthday is in 2 weeks time, and I will be driving it a maximum of 4 times before then. If I start the insurance after then the best quote drops to £650.

Obviously this is a silly amount of money to pay for 2 weeks of cover.

Does anyone know where I can buy two weeks' cover, possibly just third party, fire and theft, to bridge the gap until I reach 25 and the premiums drop by £400.

Incidentally, the reason for the error was the car number plate search shows up as a 2.4T SE rather than the 2.5T SE it actually is.

I'm not sure if this is a general policy that young drivers will pay far more for a group 16 vehicle vs group 15, but it might be worth bearing in mind for other drivers in my position.
Insurance fun and games - bell boy
try this
dont know the lower age bracket though (yes it does but with a £500 excess)

www.norwichunion.com/short-term-insurance/pricing....m
Insurance fun and games - Chips with everything
Is it possible for you to insure it TPF&T with the lowest annual mileage you can get..and then use another form of transport for 2 weeks?

Just a thought.
Norwich union cover for 2 weeks, followed by a year's cover from cheapest insurer starting on my 25th birthday, looks quite a good option. Only slight problem is this:

"Can I use Norwich Union's Short Term Insurance policy to obtain a UK road fund licence?

No. Whilst short term insurance certificates provide evidence of insurance in the format prescribed by the Road Traffic Act legislation, DVLA or UK Post Offices will not accept these certificates for road fund licence purposes."

Since my car came from a car supermarket, it has no tax. It's currently off-road on my drive, but I don't really want to wait another two weeks to get a tax disc for it.

I could take in the insurance certificate to the post office for the cancelled insurance for the 2.4T, not sure if that would be a problem given that the car is a 2.5T.

Other option is to take out cover at full £1100/year and just cancel it within 2 weeks, which most insurers seem to allow you to do, and then reinsure from my 25th birthday.
Insurance fun and games - Round The Bend
I work in Insurance and would just like to distance myself from the inference from the title of this thread that insurance can be in any way be "fun and games".
Insurance fun and games - No FM2R
>>Anyway, as it happens my birthday is in 2 weeks time, and I will be driving it a maximum of 4 times before then

Park your car somewhere it won't get nicked, rent a cheap little thing from local Avis or similar for the four times you need a vehicle.
>>Anyway as it happens my birthday is in 2 weeks time and I will be
driving it a maximum of 4 times before then
Park your car somewhere it won't get nicked rent a cheap little thing from local
Avis or similar for the four times you need a vehicle.

I'm going to take out an annual policy and cancel it within the standard 14-day cooling off period. Free insurance for 14 days, then take out a year's policy from my birthday.
Insurance fun and games - hillman1 {p}
All well and good. I originally thought this may be an idea... Hopefully you won't need to make any claims during that time.
All well and good. I originally thought this may be an idea... Hopefully you won't
need to make any claims during that time.

Halifax have very generous terms in this respect:

:If you have bought or renewed your policy recently, you can take advantage of our 14 day cooling off period. Under this you can cancel your cover by simply returning all your policy documents to us within 14 days of receiving them. As long as no incidents have arisen which could result in a claim under your policy, we will refund any premium you have paid for this cover. If any incidents have arisen, we will apply a pro-rata charge for the time you have been on cover.

If you make no claim, then the cost is zero. If you do claim, they charge you, but only for the period you've been covered for. Not bad really.
sounds like fraud to me with a blunt instrument

i am NOT a lawyer mind
sounds like fraud to me with a blunt instrument
i am NOT a lawyer mind

How's it fraud? If you look at any insurance policy it clearly says you've got 14 days to change your mind, no questions asked.

This is a legal right - insurance policies have a cooling-off period.

What's the fraud?
as i said im not a lawyer but you are going to use the policy to tax a car, run the car ,then return the policy,as i see it you are using the insurance not putting it on the mantelpiece to have a think about it while having a muffin
as i said im not a lawyer but you are going to use the policy
to tax a car run the car then return the policy as i see it
you are using the insurance not putting it on the mantelpiece to have a think
about it while having a muffin

Many insurers charge, as is their right, under the cooling off period law, for the period you've used.

So if you have a £365 premium and cancel after 14 days, they charge you £14, refunding £351. So in that case you have used the insurance, but you've also paid for it, so there's really no issue.

Just because a few insurers choose not to charge for customer service reasons, doesn't make it any difference. The cooling-off period is not for you to look it, it is a legal right to cancel within 14 days for any reason.
Insurance fun and games - Round The Bend
Mark will answer this more correctly (motor insurance is not my speciality) but I suspect that the 14 day cooling off period applies to finance not to the insurance. If you cancel after 14 days you will be charged premium for the time you were on risk but I'll bet that flat pro rata will not apply - ie you will pay for more than 14 days worth.
Mark will answer this more correctly (motor insurance is not my speciality) but I suspect
that the 14 day cooling off period applies to finance not to the insurance. If
you cancel after 14 days you will be charged premium for the time you were
on risk but I'll bet that flat pro rata will not apply - ie you
will pay for more than 14 days worth.

The law is specified in The Financial Services (Distance Marketing) Regulations 2004 www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si2004/20042095.htm

Insurance is classed as a "Financial Service"

Re the right:

" 10. - (1) For the purposes of regulation 9, the cancellation period begins on the day on which the distance contract is concluded ("conclusion day") and ends as provided for in paragraphs (2) to (5).

(2) Where the supplier complies with regulation 8(1) on or before conclusion day, the cancellation period ends on the expiry of fourteen calendar days beginning with the day after conclusion day."

Re the charge,

"Subject to paragraphs (7), (8) and (9), the supplier may make a charge for any service actually provided by the supplier in accordance with the contract.

The charge shall not exceed an amount which is in proportion to the extent of the service provided to the consumer prior to the time at which the cancellation event occurred (including the service of arranging to provide the financial service) in comparison with the full coverage of the contract, and in any event shall not be such that it could be construed as a penalty."

So in other words, the insurer can charge any amount between zero and the sum of (the cost of arranging the insurance - admin cost) + (the pro rata daily cost of the insurance used).

And the cost must be notified

"The supplier may not make any charge unless he can prove on the balance of probabilities that the consumer was informed about the amount payable in accordance with -

(a) [.] paragraph 13 of Schedule 1,
"

Paragraph 13 says:

"Whether or not there is a right of cancellation and, where there is a right of cancellation, its duration and the conditions for exercising it, including information on the amount which the consumer may be required to pay in accordance with regulation 13, as well as the consequences of not exercising that right."

In other words, the insurer must tell you how much cancellation might cost. This will be in the policy document.

Halifax's is here:

carinsurance.halifax-online.co.uk/s_faq.htm
halifax actually won't insure me till I'm 25, so I went for Admiral. They have a £19 cancellation charge, but it's much cheaper than the £71 Norwich Union would have charged for 14 days short-term insurance, and I'll be able to get a tax disc.