Fiat Ducato Timing Belt - jjpaddy

I have a camper : Fiat Ducato 2.5 d 1991
We had a problem with the timing belt. it jumped a tooth on the injector pump sprocket. The mechanic changed the belt and reset the timing. Two days later it jumped two teeth on the same sprocket (luckily itdidn't affect the camshaft ). We were advised that both the new and the replaced belt were probably the wrong ones as there was another one available with an extra tooth. He got the other one (with the extra tooth )and fitted it. Its started up fine but after driving a few meters it jumped a tooth again.
As the mechanic is very busy, it was a long time before he could even look at it in the beginning and then he had to work on others while waiting for belts etc and the whole process is now into it's eighth week..
I'm totally stumped as what to do next as I can't even move the vehicle from his premises and I had already paid for the work done on the first occasion.
Can anyone help?
Please?
Fiat Ducato Timing Belt - bell boy
find out why the belt is jumping is the first port of call
Fiat Ducato Timing Belt - injection doc
I have experienced this myself & after the 3rd time got shot of it but belived it to be the diesel pump! they do suffer with wear & siezing up & fracturing internally. The pump was removed & inspected & found to have suffered severe failure although it still ran. The cost was huge so scrapped it as the pump was about 1300 quid & no warranty unless injectors replaced with it!
Good luck
Fiat Ducato Timing Belt - bell boy
i was thinking water in the pump over the years from under use-/poor diesel maintainance -etc
so we are probally both right
somewhere like 24/7 should be able to source a s/h pump though for about 100 dolla i would have thought
we could be wrong though
it could be a tight bearing
concerned that garage man just wants to fit belts though
Fiat Ducato Timing Belt - Steptoe
This is not what I want to hear :-(

as I run a '98 2.5td, which probably is the same engine.

Is pump failure age or mileage related and can it be avoided by adding some sort of lubricating goo into the fuel tank
----------------------------------------------

One mans junk is another mans treasure
Fiat Ducato Timing Belt - none
Does the timing belt belt drive the PAS pump as well ? And does the belt slip a tooth when on full lock ?
No
Fiat Ducato Timing Belt - injection doc
I took the trouble of speaking to a pal of mine today who deals with these all the time & it is a KNOWN PROBLEM. he advises using a Gates belt & using the gates tensioner ( these are quite good there electronic ) . if the springs are breaking up in the pump it can cause the pump to jam momentarily but he also thought your brake pump runs of the back of the diesel pump & he has had those keep siezing making the belt jump.
I wish you all the best with that senario & hope you overcome it.
Some diesel system cleaners not only help reduce water in the system but do actually lubricate the pump, may be this would help from time to time if it doesn't get used frequently.
Regards
Just an update.
My mechanic couldn't find out why the belt was jumping.
He is fairlyexperienced on diesels and I have no other reason to doubt his competence other than the fact that he seemed fairly stumped with this particular problem.

Th first replacement belt was the same as the existing one.
The second belt was supposed to be (as he was told by the supplier ) the correct one. It had one more tooth than the others.
He did some more research and having quoted the chassis number (and the engine number, I assume ) he was told that the engine was actually manufactured in 1989 and not registered until 1991 and the belt he should have used was yet another type again.
I am assuming that he should have quoted the numbers when ordering the first one.)
Would this be standard operating procedure?

Anyway the belt he was told to use ,this time is not available locally and he has had to have it ordered specially from Dublin ( I live in Cork. Southern Ireland)
since we don't seem to be able to find any other problem , we are working under the assumption that that the difference in the belt (whatever that may be) is the cause of the problem.
That makes sense to me. But I'm no mechanic!

All further comments are very welcome.
Thanks for all the advice and replies received to date.
Fiat Ducato Timing Belt - none
Well, I've never come across a toothed belt driven camshaft engine where it's possible to fit belts with a different number of teeth. It either fits or it doesn't fit.
I suppose a belt with an extra tooth might fit, but then it would be so much longer that correct tensioning would be impossible.
The reason I asked about a PAS pump is that some early Iveco (Fiat) engines had the pump driven by the cam belt, if the belt was a bit slack and the PAS pump was working hard, and the engine was stalled, the belt could slip a tooth on the injector pump drive. This used to happen a lot when a delivery driver was reversing on full lock, and stalled the engine.
Fiat Ducato Timing Belt - yorkiebar
Whenever a new belt is to be fitted to any vehcile petrol or diesel it should be compared to the old belt for....

Width of belt, total length of belt, no of teeth, profile of teeth, spacing of teeth.

failure to agree with any of these would invalidate any warranty claim, whether the supplier proimised it would be right or not. cant believe that two different belts will fit the engine anyway !

However, the reason for jumping the teeth, sounds like a temporary fault, like pump or similar as described by others.

Good point, assuming the old belt was the correct one.

Anyway, latest news is, the third belt supplied seems to be a better fit , i.e. the teeth seem a more snug fit on the sprockets.
We still haven't been able to find the reason why it jumped, but it seems to be holding.
Thanks again everyone for your input
My apologies.
It actually does drive the brake vacuum pump.
Anyway, latest news is, the third belt supplied seems to be a better fit , i.e. the teeth seem a more snug fit on the sprockets.
We still haven't been able to find the reason why it jumped, but it seems to be holding.
Fiat Ducato Timing Belt - Primoz
Hello!

I made a swap from 2.5d to 2.5td. I changed the timing belt on turbo engine before I put it in. I bought kit from INA. I have the same problem as described here. Belt sliped on ignition pump when I start steering. It does not happen suddenly. I drowe few kilometers and everything was OK, next morning when i started the engine, i turned steering wheel just a little and motor stoped - belt jumped. I noticed that timing belt did not fit quite properly. Where do you think the problem could be? Servo pump runs smoothly....

Thanks for help
Fiat Ducato Timing Belt - David F Hall
Hi. One can not fit a timing belt with an extra tooth or indeed one less tooth with putting the injection timing out.
This would in effect be like the belt jumping a tooth.
Work out tensioners can cause belts to jump.
If it was a bearing of any kind it would emit a sound.
Good luck.
Fiat Ducato Timing Belt - bathtub tom
Hi. One can not fit a timing belt with an extra tooth or indeed one less tooth with putting the injection timing out.

The number of teeth on the belt make no difference, as long as the tension's correct. The only criteria is the pullys have to be synchronised.