Used car roadshow recordings - Citroënian {P}
Hi all,

Thought I'd post about the used car roadshow which is filiming in Leeds on Sundays in the next couple of months. Went today and it was a good, if long afternoon out, although they did feed, water and look after us very well. I especially liked the mountain of pizza. Today featured some great cars, a bloke wanting to spend £37k on a Porsche so they had a 996 cabrio, Cayenne Turbo and one of the last 993s. But everything was overshadowed by the LM200 which the owner said was the last one made, and I've no reason to doubt him. Staggering piece of kit, first time I've ever seen one in the metal, and probably the last too. ( groups.msn.com/honestjohn/2007album.msnw?action=Sh...1 )

I'm well documented on here as having a fondness for Penny Mallory (_proper_ driver, ex world rally champion, none of this giggling, guffawing VBH nonsense {runs!}) - a photo of this thread's author with said top lady is here : ( groups.msn.com/honestjohn/2007album.msnw?action=Sh...9 ). She's every bit as nice in real life, if not more so, than she is on TV. Jason Dawe came across as the full of fun chap he appears on TV too, none of the stand-offishnes that you get with some people on TV.

They're filiming for a few more Sundays yet, you can find details here ( www.usedcarroadshow.co.uk/DatesandPlacesBody.htm ) of the dates, including a link to the email address to get tickets.

A good afternoon out!

Lee
Used car roadshow recordings - MB3
I wouldn't climb over VBH to get to you, Lee!
Used car roadshow recordings - Stuartli
I wouldn't climb over either of them to get to him...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Used car roadshow recordings - Altea Ego
I wouldn't climb over either of them to get to him...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - -

At your age thats far too much climbing
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Used car roadshow recordings - Stuartli
>>At your age that's far too much climbing>>

Unfortunately all too true....

Me thinks I'll have to Everest to recover.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Used car roadshow recordings - Pugugly {P}
I have to confess to enjoying this show, seems that simple cars were the main fayre. Have to admit a liking for the posh ex-rally driver, she knows her onions and is a complete contrast the stereotypical car programme presenter. Jason is a better writer than presenter and that is no disrespect to his TV skills, I like to read his stuff, despite what he said about Golf GTi MK5.
Used car roadshow recordings - midlifecrisis
I don't like the new format...putting it in a warehouse has made it very 'artificial'
Used car roadshow recordings - aahbarnes
This has to be one of the most amateur programmes I have watched on TV recently, apart from those awful shopping channels. That said I do actually watch and enjoy it, but it would never make mainstream TV in it's current format.
Used car roadshow recordings - bell boy
cant do with that bloke writing on the screens and all his guests going wow
cant do with that womans face in young womens clothes

sorry
I'm sure this programme is put together on a budget that wouldn't even fund Graham Norton's shoes for a series. But each to their own, I really quite like it. As much as TG is good entertainment, and forgive me if I'm wrong, but there's not too many people going out to buy Koeningseggs or Gallardos. UCR looks at cars that ordinary people are likely to buy - I enjoy the teenage kicks segment, reminds us that you don't need to spend £47k on an Audi S4 to enjoy your motoring.

If you want amateur night on car programmes, check out "sold in 60 seconds". That really does look like it's done by the bloke in the mac and his mate with a DV cam - but I like that too, I'd rather watch a car programme than any of the endless reality TV or soaps or news that fill the rest of the schedules.

>>I wouldn't climb over either of them to get to him...:-)
But I'm assuming that you'd both climb over Jason Dawe though.... :-)

>>better writer than presenter
I'd agree with you PU, he described the LM200 on the fly as a "G-Wagen on acid", absolutely spot on although I don't think that'd make it into the recording.

Still haven't seen the news series transmitted, will watch it tomorrow on the repeat and decide if I like the new format
-- He\'s a cheeky wind-up scamster and he\'s on the radio....
Used car roadshow recordings - tintin01
I used to really like this show when it was on Granada Men and Motors, Now it's been promoted to ITV 3 and I don't like the new format - it's like a low-rent Top Gear. Before they were at different car shows and there seemed to be more cars and more enthusiasts. I still find it a bit annoying that Penny Mallory has to pretend to be ignorant and ask questions to which she obviously knows the answer.

Still, at least the cars are affordable and it's not just a lad's show (can't stand Top Gear, who don't even seem to bother with reviews anymore), so I'll keep watching.
Used car roadshow recordings - De Smythe
Agree with all the above, format of the new series has taken a step backwards and is very amatuerish in places which spoils the content of what is essentially a very informative programme. The tiny audience with its' scripted cheers and responses is cringeworthy and both presenters woud be better off just by themselves in the studio with the individual guests. Having said that I saw them filming the last series and from what I gathered from the film crew they had to give up whole weekends for months at a time travelling to various car shows, auctions etc so maybe that is why they have gone to a studio format. Would also much rather have Penny and Jason as presenters over the hooray-henry braying of VBH and the autocue ramblings of that cyclops-looking bloke on 5th Gear any time.
"sold in 60 seconds"

I'm sure he was in school with me........
Just watched the UCS (well 3 groaningly embarrassing minutes of it) some mechanical expert explaining how to maintain windscreen wipers, even old Penny looked shocked when some innuendo was rolled out about "big ones" (wipers that is)......oh dear it was awful.
Was watching the Milan game tonight so haven't seen it yet....hope it's not as bad as you say, but at least I can whizz through it or press the erase button if it gets too hideous!
-- Biggedy biggedy bong
"sold in 60 seconds"
I'm sure he was in school with me........

borstal?.......;-)

only kidding :-(
It was a very good school Ill let you know - I mean it must have been it was Home Office Approved !
boom boom
Used car roadshow recordings - jase1
I did have a great liking for this show over the last couple of years, but I agree the new format is very poor. What I don't understand is that last year they had a decent set of titles designed by Keyframe at Leeds, now it just looks like they got a 16-year-old kid to put the graphics together, very shoddy.

Not quite sure why they've taken this step backwards, it's one thing to bring it into a studio, much worse to make the production so inept. And what was JD on this week -- he was bouncing all over the place.
Used car roadshow recordings - Pete M
Anyone else think Citroënian has a passing resemblance to Paul McCartney?
Could that be a blessing or a curse?
>>Paul McCartney

Why thank you. Last time someone posted a photo of me (Adam on the MSN site), I was thought to be more Chris Tarrant. I guess so long as it's not Menzies Campbell, I shouldn't grumble.

Guess it would be a blessing if I woke up tomorrow with his money (straight to the Lamborghini dealership), but a curse to be going through his divorce
-- Biggedy biggedy bong
I used to really enjoy this show - still watching, but find myself fast-forwarding through big chunks. The auction segments are dreadful - boring and repetitive, same every week, don't like the bit where some lad shows you his Clio that he's spent thousands on paint and ICE for. The windscreen wiper bit was possibly the nadir of the whole series so far. I only like the 'teenage kicks', 'free motoring' and finding a car for someone bits now. Jason Dawes was totally hyper last night. Too much coffee pre-show maybe, it was exhausting watching him.
Used car roadshow recordings - Lud
FB, eh?

Foolish boy, HJ, or something more acerbic?
Used car roadshow recordings - OldHand
I don't think motoring TV gets any worse than this.

The sweaty ramblings of Dawe are a turn off but not quite as much as Penny Mallory's charisma free dumbed down play acting.

At least though she seems to have dropped the denim suits for this season's shows.

Why is it when they choose people cars they 'have to lose one' rather than test driving all 3? Also why does he never actually get them a decent car? Take the Fiat Coupe in last nights show, getting one with aircon and leather for 3K isn't difficult so why not do it?

Anyway that's the least of the shows problems, the new studio set is a disaster with all those muppets clapping when he reveals the shocking news that a 10 yr old car that once cost 30 grand is now worth 2. I mean what exactly are they applauding? The God of depreciation? Or have the production crew wired them up to the mains?

Marks out of 10- a sorry 2.

Still I suppose everything this series has been better than last times David Brent car supermarket boss and Penny's attempts to flog motors.............

Used car roadshow recordings - OldHand
.............and another thing exactly what kind if nepotism got the auction reporter girl a job.

"it's a car, Jason told me to watch out for things on that one!"
Used car roadshow recordings - Lud
Thought not :o)
Used car roadshow recordings - sine
>>....and another thing exactly what kind if nepotism got the auction reporter girl a job.

Yes she is really bad. Constantly shouting out the obvious and repeating the auctioneer like a parrot. She adds a touch of eye candy though....
Penny's ok although her teeth sucking is a bit off putting.
Used car roadshow recordings - ForumNeedsModerating
I quite enjoyed the previous series on M&M - nice unthreatening telly, people jollily walking around a field
full of cars on a nice sunny day - nice to sit in front of with a Guinness & ciggy.
There were some practical bits too - although I thought JD was a bit skimpy in the way he checked over the cars
- he seemed to be pretty cursory - maybe how car dealers are?

Ms Mallory is quite charming, but doesn't look the sharpest tool in the box - is this 'acting' do you think?

It probably wouldn't be popular with TopGearistas - far too little arsing around for a start,
and the presenters don't start each word with a captial, followed by a comma. So, not a program
for the adolescant dreamer type, but some useful insights & 'market' news.

Haven't seen the latest 'makeover' on itv3 yet, but looking forward to catching it.

My rating for TV motor progs.:
(of a fairly mediocre crop)

1st- Fifth Gear
2nd- Used car thingy
3rd- Vroom Vroom
4th - Life on Mars
5th - Car/Street/PCA [Wars]
~
~
~
78th - Top Gear

"78th - Top Gear"

Same placing as me, 77th is QVC's entire output.
Used car roadshow recordings - Rumfitt
>>....and another thing exactly what kind if nepotism got the auction reporter girl a job.
Yes she is really bad. Constantly shouting out the obvious and repeating the auctioneer like
a parrot. She adds a touch of eye candy though....
Penny's ok although her teeth sucking is a bit off putting.

This reminds me of the 'glory days' of Granada's Men & Motors Sky channel. Amongst the dross were a few 'ok' programmes that showed promise and were worth watching. There were some decent bike programmes that had proper bikers as presenters - some of them were proper journalists too. The car programmes were much more hit and miss, even if one gave Richard Hammond his big break in tv.

I wonder how these programmes are commissioned and funded? What do they cost and how long do they take to make? It's actually very hard to present a car programme - I remember Jeremy Clarkson giving wannabes a chance at a Motor Show presenatation and they were far worse than the worst seen on M&M!

Can't knock Mr Dawe on his journalism though - very good indeed. Perhaps being on Top Gear has given him a desire to remain on the telly at all costs?

R
Total agreement Rumfitt.
Yes, I find the fact that Penny Mallory seems to be under instructions to play ignorant very annoying. I was getting a bit worried for Jason this week, he was getting seriously out of breath just writing those figures on the windscreen. I didn't think much of the Fiat deal either - high milage, horrible blue colour - better spec ones on Autotrader for less. It makes me laugh how they send the punter round the backstreets of Leeds in the cars - the other week it was nearly dark, you couldn't see a thing.

I don't think the show is recorded far in advance so hopefully they will take the views here on board and make some changes. They should drop the auction bit altogether, it's dreadful.