Rapeseed oil in diesel - mss1tw
Can one of the resident geniuses help me out here?

My car seems to respond rather well a dose of this (6 litres in just over half a tank). Smoke seems to be down, and a cold start was much less 'fragrant' :^D

I don't want to do it often without paying the tax (It's more due to the fact I like mucking about with this sort of thing than trying to extort ££££'s from Gordorn Brown).

So I'd like to pay the tax so that I can safely keep dabbling and seeing what happens.

Is this allowed, and what is the status now regarding 'biofuel'? I remember it has to have below a certain level of sulphur and above a certain level of esters, but I'm no chemist. I just think shoving foodstuff in a car's diesel tank and having an improvement is quite something!

I'd be treating it as more of an additive than a fuel as such.

Please no "THERE'S NO DIFFERENCE" posts. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind here. If you don't believe it, that's fine. Click the back button.
Of course...if you could advise me if this amount is undetectable, that's fine, too. ;o)
Rapeseed oil in diesel - nortones2
Unless you run a very basic diesel, it may not be a good idea to put vegetable oil in your fuel. The injectors may not be very happy with the deposits. There is a good article in the Telegraph today re proper biodiesel - and the potential issues even with treated feedstocks: www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motor...l
Pretty basic. :o)

No CR/PD, direct injection.
Rapeseed oil in diesel - andymc {P}
Some valid points raised, particularly with regard to the clearing of rainforest for biodiesel production. In fact I started to wonder if the author had read my post in the "Pork - > diesel" thread!

However I am quite sceptical about the following statement from the article: "Given the number of diesel injection systems that are now failing under warranty in the UK, the suspicion must be that inadequate specifications are allowing unstable B5 blends on to the market. But with the secrecy covering biodiesel B5 blends, who knows?" It seems to me that diesel injection systems have been known to be troublesome for several years, certainly long before biodiesel use started to grow (albeit on a minute scale, over the past two years or so). Even now, most fuel sold in this country does not contain biodiesel and it is far-fetched to suggest that the long history of problems with diesel injection systems relates to the small amount of biodiesel on the market. My own supplier uses a 30% blend in his diesel X-Type and has done so in that car for about eighteen months without incident. The fuel his company produces is made to the EN14214 standard. Nothing secret about it. I have bought and continue to buy that fuel as a satisfied customer. However it is true that some engines aren't suited to blends as high as that and I agree that it is not advisable to use high blends of biodiesel in a common rail/PD engine unless the manufacturer approves its use.

This brings me to another point - the article states that "On the record, motor manufacturers seem to have gone with the flow of promoting biodiesel because it reduces our dependency on imported oil. Off the record they are more inclined to hint that the very least that biodiesel will do to the most sophisticated diesel engines is reduce their expected life." This is quite misleading - most manufacturers limit their warranty to the use of 5% biodiesel blend, no more. Peugeot have warranted its use up to 30% in HDi engines, while I believe that VAG now insists that any blend above 5% can only be used in cars which have been appropriately modified at the factory (please correct me if I am mistaken here). This doesn't add up to "going with the flow of promoting biodiesel" ? on the contrary, manufacturers seem to discourage it.

On his points regarding storage issues, I can only refer to my own personal experience. I've been using biodiesel for nearly six years and 170000 miles, keeping it in storage sometimes for months at a time. I have never had difficulty with microbes or hydrolysis.

My scepticism is reinforced by the fact that the author "worked at Shell for 32 years (20 as a research scientist and 12 years in technical marketing). Since 1999 he has been Environment, Health and Safety consultant to the Retail Motor Industry Federation (RMIF) and technical consultant to the Petrol Retailers Association (PRA)." This IMHO diminishes his credibility as a neutral observer.

--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Rapeseed oil in diesel - jc2
Much of the manufacturer's "factory modifications" consists of fitting a different type of flexible fuel line.
Rapeseed oil in diesel - nortones2
Biodiesel may have been used little in the UK until recently, but thats not true of France or Germany. Drive your diesel over in France, .and you will get 5% unadvertised bio-diesel content. Consider how many Uk registered vehicles pop over to France, let alone Germany, and you have a possibility that the man may know something. His data may be more than a single anecdotal reference.
Rapeseed oil in diesel - Group B
Mss1tw,

I dont know much about it but these people do: snipurl.com/1hk4n . Some people asking the same question as you.

Seems to be that you are expected to register using EX103 form before using *any* veg oil. But this may be relaxed in the summer - if it is you may be excused duty on the first 2500 litres used (have I got that right?).

Someone on there says that if caught using it you get the same treatment as if using red diesel.. (!)

So either wait till the summer or get the form filled in quick.

;o)
Rapeseed oil in diesel - Hamsafar
I don't think vegetable oil is classed as a biofuel in terms of fuel duty, as the regulation stipulates certain Euro Norms which raw veg oil doesn't meet. You would have to pay the full 75p tax on every litre.
Rapeseed oil in diesel - andymc {P}
Ashok's right, straight vegetable oil doesn't qualify for the rebated level of duty. Can't remember the criteria though. Looking up www.biodieselfillingstations.co.uk should provide the location of your nearest supplier for duty-paid biodiesel, which will be better for your engine (no risk of coking injectors) and will be duty paid, saving you all that C&E - or rather R&C - paperwork.

Manufacturer modifications for the CR/PD engines would probably include a pre-heating system for the fuel and possible a different type of fuel filter. Haven't looked into it though as it doesn't apply to me.
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Rapeseed oil in diesel - Group B
Ashok's right straight vegetable oil doesn't qualify for the rebated level
of duty. Can't remember the criteria though.

The situation on all this seems to change monthly.
Apparently pure rapeseed oil usually meets the criteria in the DIN-51605 standard - (must have at least 96.5% esters and less than 50ppm sulphur). So it sounds like you can use this and pay the lower 28.35p/l duty, would be best to confirm this with HMRC first though if you request an EX103 form.