Lies, Damn Lies and Fuel computers - a900ss
Hi,

My last three cars have all had fuel computers and they have all been quite accurate. Although I haven't got a great deal of data to go on , I have just got a new 1.8 TDCi S-Max and it does appear to flatter your ego a bit.

My last two fill ups it told me I was getting 51 and 49.8 MPG respectively - LIES. Below is a table of my actual consumption worked out brim to brim. Of course no data for first fill as that wasn't a brim to brim job.

Don't get me wrong, I think 43 - 44 MPG is great for a car of this size that's only done 2000 miles and still has a lot of loosening up to do. I just don't want my ego flattered that's all.

Claimed MPG 46.7 Actual MPG 42.1
Claimed MPG 51.0 Actual MPG 44.4
Claimed MPG 49.8 Actual MPG 42.8

Lies, Damn Lies and Fuel computers - Brian Tryzers
Seems consistent with the prevailing view around here that fuel computers are quite entertaining but are not scientific instruments. At least yours seems to go up and down with your real value, which makes it sort-of useful.

Hope you're pleased with the S-Max otherwise - I'm still thinking I want one later this year. I'd be interested in your thoughts on the 1.8D engine.
Hope you're pleased with the S-Max otherwise - I'm still thinking
I want one later this year. I'd be interested in your
thoughts on the 1.8D engine.

The 1.8TDCi is plenty for me in this car. I drive mostly motorway work at a constant 70MPH and of course it's got no problem with that. Never have to change down for hills on motorways but again, this is what I'd expect. It's certainly slower than my old car, a 320d Touring but what do you expect, 125hp Vs 150hp and 1800Kgs vs 1300Kgs.

I have had it 6 up and again, no problem with the grunt.

If I did mostly sngle A roads or did towing/fully loaded work then probably the 2.0 is the one to go for. Likewise if you are a fast driver, the 2.0 will deliver more thrills but for the majority of drivers and for the majority of the time the 1.8 is more than sufficient.

I thought that the 1.8 would be a bit of an issue for overtaking but in reality although the acceleration is slower than my old beemer the fact that I'm up higher and have a better view of the road means that I can generally start my overtake earkier than I could in my beemer. This means that if I could do the 'take in my beemer, 9 times out of 10 I can also do it in the 1.8 S-Max even though its slower.

I plan to give a full report on my first month with the S-Max in about 10 days time. By then I'd have had the car a month and just over 3,000 miles so I should be able to pass some valuable info on to those that could be considering an S-Max.

Take care
Lies, Damn Lies and Fuel computers - Altea Ego
Every computer I have had lies. you just need to find out how badly it lies.

>Claimed MPG 46.7 Actual MPG 42.1
10% out
>Claimed MPG 51.0 Actual MPG 44.4
13% out
>Claimed MPG 49.8 Actual MPG 42.8
14% out

So if you assume its 10% out you wont go far wrong, it is after all only a guide.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Lies, Damn Lies and Fuel computers - nick
My Legacy is about 0.5mpg pessimistic, better pessimistic than optimistic.
Lies, Damn Lies and Fuel computers - moonshine

My understanding is that the computer bases its calculation on the amount of fuel injected into the engine. As the car is new, it may be that the engine will become more economical as it runs in. So maybe it will become more accurate over time?
>My understanding is that the computer bases its calculation on the amount of fuel injected into the engine. As the car is new, it may be that the engine will become more economical as it runs in. So maybe it will become more accurate over time?

You mean the computer is calculating from the amount of fuel it expects to be injected, and the new engine is spoiling it all by injecting too much? Forgive me but I can't follow this logic.
Lies, Damn Lies and Fuel computers - Baskerville
What happens is that the computer weighs the fuel when you fill up the tank and then weighs the pollutants as they come out of the tail pipe. Subtract the latter from the former and you have the amount of Flogiston emitted. Divide that by the price of the fuel and multiply that by the square root of your grandmother's (on your father's side, mind) birth date and you have your answer. Easy when you know how, isn't it?
Lies, Damn Lies and Fuel computers - rtj70
Until I did the above Baskerville it was out. Now spot on :-)

Seriously my Mondeo TDCi computer can never be relied on for MPG and pessimisticfor remaining distance too. But for range I'd nor argue ;-)
Lies, Damn Lies and Fuel computers - moonshine

Wasn't saying that the new engine is spoiling it by injecting too much fuel, rather that for a given amount of fuel you may get more 'bang for your buck' on an older engine. However, the original post is flawed anyway becuase any variations in the efficiency of the engine would not matter as the distance travelled is also measured. I posted that in a hurry without thinking it through first.
Lies, Damn Lies and Fuel computers - pmh
See my previous post and subsequent thread.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=48...1

i am currently keeping more accurate figures and will post when back in the UK.

--

pmh (was peter)

Lies, Damn Lies and Fuel computers - dxp55
20 mpg
22 mpg
26 mpg - on a run
22 mpg

computer is smack on - it's a folded leather one in back pocket :-(
Lies, Damn Lies and Fuel computers - Lud
Sounds like a pretty good motor dxp (unless it's a horrible great barge of course)... :o)
Lies, Damn Lies and Fuel computers - milkyjoe
take off the anorak and move away from the vehicle
Lies, Damn Lies and Fuel computers - L'escargot
They don't deliberately tell lies. It's just that by the way they work they're not very accurate. As the advance of technology comes up with more and more better methods of performing the calculations the accuracy will increase.
--
L\'escargot.
If that's the case why don't we hear from people saying that their fuel computer under-reads by 10-15%?

They always eem to be optomistic rather than pessimistic. Me, marketing ploy, cynical, never???
If that's the case why don't we hear from people saying
that their fuel computer under-reads by 10-15%?

What does it matter? The onboard "computer" fuel consumption reading will never affect my opinion of my car or of the manufacturer. I take the view that the "computers" are toys for my amusement only and accept the readings on that basis.
--
L\'escargot.
I agree to a point and I stated that I think the actual economy being delivered is good for a car of it's size. My point is that if something is fitted to a car, I believe that you should expect reasonable performance from it.

I know I'm taking it to extremes here but what if your speedo had huge inaccuracies?

My previous 3 cars all had fairly accurate fuel computers so obviously it can be done fairly easily.

Maybe I'm being a bit cynical but if I beleived the FC and told my friends that my S-max was delivering 51 MPG that would be great PR for Ford wouldn't it?

I know it's a small thing but the small things do count and some things are more important to some people that others.

Thanks anyway.

a900ss
Lies, Damn Lies and Fuel computers - oldgit
Well, VW''s figure for my 1.6 FSI Golf MKV state sa combined fuel consumption figure of 41.7 mpg and since I have had my car, during the last 28 months or so, I've got 41.5 mpg or thereabouts and this figure agrees, usually very closely, with that read out from the onboard computer.

I think that the worse deviation from my brim/brim calculations and the computer's readout have been of the order of 2% which I don't think is bad.

Lies, Damn Lies and Fuel computers - paulb {P}
If that's the case why don't we hear from people saying
that their fuel computer under-reads by 10-15%?

Funny you should say that - the one in Mrs B's Panda Multijet is about 10% pessimistic - took it for a run to Cardiff and back via Oxford a few weeks ago and couldn't get the MPG readout above 51 mpg. Actual brim-to-brim was a nudge under 57 mpg, which although some way short of what the manufacturer and the motoring press claim it will do is still pretty damn good IMO. Didn't feel like I'd been running underneath it, either.

FWIW I never believe any trip computer - I just use the figure as a general guide and it's amazing what an incentive it is to behave when you're trying to make the numbers go as high as possible...
A900SS's point is a fair one in one sense, though. I'll be taking a two-day test drive in a C4 (Grand) Picasso soon, and no doubt I'll be wondering how close it's getting to it's 45mpg Combined value, and that guide will come from the computer. When I do the same in an S-Max or anything else, I'll look at the computer there too, and if one is markedly lower than the other, it might - just might - influence my buying decision. Since manufacturers aren't constrained by construction and use regs (as they are with speedometers and odometers) they can be as cynical as they like on how high the computer reads. (I suppose a customer with an inaccurate computer might have some come-back under the Sale of Goods Act - fit for purpose and all that - but it's hardly grounds for rejecting the entire car.)
If you have confidence in the accuracy of your fuel computer just carry out this simple test.

Immediately before you fill up note the number of miles (from your odometer) since the last fill and the number of miles the computer says you have left in your tank, and add the two together. This will give you the the (theoretical) capacity of your tank in miles. Immediately after you have filled up note how many miles the computer says you have left in your tank and compare this with the aforementioned calculated figure. Do this every time you fill up. Let us know the results.

Mine consistently comes to about 500 before filling up compared to about 440 afterwards!
--
L\'escargot.
Lies, Damn Lies and Fuel computers - machika
I don't know how it works on our C5 but it is always optimistic. As the fuel gauge seems pretty accurate, isn't the easiest way to compute mpg simply to marry the odometer reading to the amount of fuel in the tank, or is this too simplistic?
>sn't the easiest way to compute mpg simply to marry the odometer reading to the amount of fuel in the tank, or is this too simplistic?

Accurate? No. Adequate? I think so. I don't have a fuel computer, and I reckon 300 miles from full to half-full is about par. The orange feed-me light comes on reliably with about 10 litres left. When I fill up, I can usually guess to within two litres how much it'll take. Of course, if I'd paid £300 extra for the computer when I ordered the car...
Lies, Damn Lies and Fuel computers - David Horn
I don't know how it works on our C5 but it
is always optimistic. As the fuel gauge seems pretty accurate isn't
the easiest way to compute mpg simply to marry the odometer
reading to the amount of fuel in the tank or is
this too simplistic?

No. It seems like most fuel gauges go:

Full
Full
Full
A bit under full
Half way
Empty
Lies, Damn Lies and Fuel computers - Roly93
Both of the Audis and the Passat I had were within 0.5Mpg accurate, I dont think you could get much better than this unless you fitted aircraft-grade components !
Lies, Damn Lies and Fuel computers - Dr Rubber
My Touran was like TVM's when I first got it. Told the dealer and the fudge factor was altered in the cluster. It is now more accurate, but still not spot on.

The tank range is still taken with a large pinch of salt, I just know I have around 50miles to find a gas station when the light comes on!

Joe
Lies, Damn Lies and Fuel computers - Murphy The Cat
The fuel computer on my 300C is spot on with my written down workings.
I get 35mpg out of every tank of mixed motoring, and over 40 mpg from a long distance 80-85 mph run.

not bad for a big fella.
MTC