Chugging Golf - Suspect Steve
Hi there,

I am having problems with my Mk 3 Golf (M plate 95)
When I start it in the morning, it starts first time
but is really chuggy, then after a while it runs OK.
I though it was just in the cold weather
but it seems to do it all the time now.
It only does it in the morning though??!!?

Can anyone help??
Re: Chugging Golf - marlkymarkn
My astra 1.8CD (F plate) does the same thing first start of the morning, and when its been left a while.

Sorry I can't help but I'd be interested to know whats making it happen too!

It starts up like a tractor and chugs away for about the first 30 seconds.

Mark.
Re: Chugging Golf - AFM
Is it firing on all cylinders? Checked plugs, sparks, HT leads, etc.?
Re: Chugging Golf - dan
Does it sound like a bus/old diesel?
Could be your points (dirty etc..)
dan
Re: Chugging Golf - Richard Hall
Plug leads aren't what they used to be - modern ones only seem to last about 40,000 miles before they start to deteriorate. You might try a replacement set, but not from a VW dealer unless you have money to burn. German & Swedish do them for about £35 a set, and at that price they're worth replacing even if it doesn't cure the immediate problem.
Re: Chugging Golf - Simon Butterworth
Posts below assume petrol engine. If diesel consider glow plugs or whether air is getting in somewhere (as I discovered to my cost with a BX recently this can immobilise you completely).
Re: Chugging Golf - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd.)
Immediate thoughts are possibly HT lead(s). Check insulators on plugs to see if any arcing is going down side of plug. Is it using any coolant? If one cylinder is seeping ever so slightly overnight enouch coolant may be entering the cylinder to put the spark out for a short while and then perform satisfactorily for the rest of the day. You don't have points but check cap and rotor carefully.
Re: Chugging Golf - Adrian Witchell
I also have a 95 Golf - 1.6 Petrol. Mine starts with no problems but then stops after a couple of seconds. This only happens occasionally ath the moment, but seems to be getting worse. I would welcome any suggestions on what to investigate first.