Dent Repair - Liquid carbon dioxide??? - autumnboy

I've seen a method of removing a dent, which was about the size of football bouncing on a roof or bonnet.

The method was using a hair dryer to warm the area for approx. 5mins then spray the area with a Liquid Carbon Dioxide aerosol for approx. 30 secs. Then wait for the ice to melt and watch the dent slowly pop out.

The question I have, where can I get a can of this stuff or could I use the spray used for freezing central heating pipes for repairs.

Dent Repair - Liquid carbon dioxide??? - xantia
Interesting. I have not seen mention of this for some time. The principle is based on cooling one side of the metal quickly making it bend due to the outside being colder, and therefore fractionally shorter, than the inside. It will only work largish indents with no metal creasing, and may not work if there is sound deadening material on the inside, as with some door panels.
The liquid CO2 can be obtained in many ways, the cheapest being to borrow a tank from a pub, if you know a friendly landlord, otherwise the plumbers use it as you obviously know. You need a fair amount of the stuff so although you can get it in small cans at electronic shops for cooling PCB's, it would prove more expensive than hiring a panel beater!
PLEASE beware!!!!!!!! Liquid CO2 will come out and turn very cold, easily -150C and will burn you skin like instant frostbite. Even the end of the bottle can get very cold. Take care and wear very thick gloves with rubber outside. Do not use woollen or fabric on the outside as this will trap the CO2 and burn your fingers off.
Some other wierd options:
1) push a football bladder behind the dent and inflate
2) small dents can be sucked out using a sink plunger
3) drill small hole in centre of area, screw in self tapper and pull
Dent Repair - Liquid carbon dioxide??? - bell boy
set fire to inside of car at regulo- 5
wait 5 minutes till very hot
point BLACK TYPE fire extinguisher at dent- pull pin -squirt carbon dioxide at it
dent gone
Dent Repair - Liquid carbon dioxide??? - mss1tw
set fire to inside of car at regulo- 5
wait 5 minutes till very hot
point BLACK TYPE fire extinguisher at dent- pull pin -squirt carbon
dioxide at it
dent gone

:^D LMFAO
Dent Repair - Liquid carbon dioxide??? - TonyJ
Just as a warning - depending on the state of the paintwork rapid cooling may cause the paint crack off the metal. Vans that used to deliver liquid nitrogen to us had very little paint in places where the LN2 had dripped although it is a bit colder at -196°C. Solid CO2 is approx -80°C.