aircon/cooling expert needed! - Pug 306 - scfc_151
I have a 306 hdi 2001 with aircon which i have recently had parts replaced i.e. condensor and pipework. It is due to be regassed when the last clip is replaced (awaiting delivery) and hopefully will then work.

As the weather is getting warmer im getting worried about not having cooling fans working. I understand that there are 2 speeds slow for air con and cooler engine temp and fast for higher temp and high air con pressure.

Since i bought the car last oct i have never been able to get the fans to kick in. Looking at this yesterday i couldnt locate the briton sensor (aparantly brown connector) near to the thermostat housing to bridge the connection and hopefully kick the fans in. Therefore i am unsure if i have a problem with the fans or sensors.

As explained the aircon should soon be up and running so i need fans obviously for engine cooling but for this aswell.

The one thing i did notice was that the was a relay from the engine fuse box (bottom left corner) missing that has continuity from the there to each of the 3 relays on the fan housing. I am not sure if this should be there or purposly missing.

Any help on the matter would be appreciated as i want to sort this

Thanks
aircon/cooling system expert needed! - elekie&a/c doctor
I think you will find that a 306 with the Hdi engine does not use a bitron sensor and relay system.The fans are controlled by the relays switched from the engine Ecu and are dependent on coolant temperature and/or a/c gas pressure.The most common problem on these is the fan motors go open circuit and do not draw any current.I suggest check the wiring and relays for corrosion. and power supplies to the relay holders. Also it is imperative that both fans work otherwise the system will go bang &all the work you have done will be a waste.hth
aircon/cooling system expert needed! - scfc_151
i have checked the wiring and plugs etc for corrosion and there is nothing obvious. What would make the fans go open circuit?

I forgot to mention (relevant or not) that when i turn the fans the right fan is much stiffer to turn. Is there any other checks i can do?

thanks for any info
Bump
aircon/cooling system expert needed! - injection doc
Sounds like you have a siezed fam motor then! I suspect the other one has failed as well!, or the circuit or fuse has failed due to the load that the stiff fan motor could have been drawing!. I belive that if you disconnect the coolant sensor on you peugeot the fans run automatically as they are controlled by the ecu. you need to test the fans & go from there.

The only sensors i have found are on the expansion tank which i asume is for the coolant level and a blue plug near the thermostat housing which i think is for the temp. However, when i unplugged this with the engine running no fans kicked in

I have checked the fuses and wiring as best i can which seem ok

The only other thing i havent tried is the multiplug at the bottom corner of the fans, this is due to it being really stuck on so im wondering if there could be corrosion here?

thanks