Oil level / pressure, HJ in the DT - cheddar
Ref the guy with the Mazda who's oil light came on, he checked the level and carried on driving subsequently wrecking the engine, HJ was not sympathetic though perhaps could have even more clearly pointed out that the light is for oil pressure on NOT oil level and if in doubt RTFM !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oil level / pressure, HJ in the DT - bimmer-driver
Anyone who doesn't even change the oil for 21,000 miles as this guy didn't cannot expect to get any sympathy when the engine goes pop.
Oil level / pressure, HJ in the DT - Armitage Shanks {p}
Why no Sympathy? Some cars are on a 2 year/24000 oil change. Probably not this Mazda but if there is a warranty and this is the interval laid down by the manufacturer why do anything else? I know this car is out of warranty BTW!
Oil level / pressure, HJ in the DT - P3t3r
Anyone who doesn't even change the oil for 21,000 miles as
this guy didn't cannot expect to get any sympathy when the
engine goes pop.

I just looked at a review about these, and it says they need servicing every 6 months or 6000 miles :-o. HJ did seem a little harsh at first, but to be fair it is nice to see this happen to a person like this. He did more than 3 times the mileage between services! He managed to get 63,000 miles from it, which probably isn't too bad considering it had hardly ever been serviced.
Oil level / pressure, HJ in the DT - bell boy
havent read the paper today
but
i usually tell people its the idiot light
Oil level / pressure, HJ in the DT - Hamsafar
I should imagine the letters and maybe the replies are heavily trimmed and reworded by the paper's staff. They usually are.
Oil level / pressure, HJ in the DT - martint123
My oil warning light is for level not pressure. There would be no indication of an oil pump failure until it seized up.
My oil warning light is for level not pressure. There would
be no indication of an oil pump failure until it seized
up.

Are you sure? What car is it? Some have both (our Clio has an oil pressure light plus oil level indication in the trip comp) though not to have an oil pressure light is unusual.
Oil level / pressure, HJ in the DT - mss1tw
Are you sure? What car is it?

A 'battered 1990 mx5 ', apparently.
Oil level / pressure, HJ in the DT - David Horn
My Xsara has both, but the level gauge is a bit temperamental in it's old age, doesn't like right hand slopes so the light is nearly always flashing when I get in the car.
Oil level / pressure, HJ in the DT - martint123
A 'battered 1990 mx5 ', apparently

Not at all.

Cheating I suppose as it's my bike. But I wasn't happy when I found out it was a level indicator rather than pressure - I can't see why as there can't really be a cost saving.
Oil level / pressure, HJ in the DT - bell boy
A 'battered 1990 mx5 ', apparently
Not at all.
Cheating I suppose as it's my bike.

>>
>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
sit up and beg bike or a tandem?
proper bikes have rod brakes
so me dad sed
Oil level / pressure, HJ in the DT - mss1tw
Apparently my car has one, couldn't get it to do anything, even when it was completely empty. :-S Obviously I didn't start it, but you'd think turning the ignition on would set a load of warnings off.

Guess I'll have to rely on the secondary dipstick under the bonnet (Main one is located behind the wheel)
Oil level / pressure, HJ in the DT - David Horn
proper bikes have rod brakes
so me dad sed

Rod brakes?
Oil level / pressure, HJ in the DT - henry k
>> proper bikes have rod brakes so me dad sed
>>
Rod brakes?

Oh yes! and stirrups and propper shaped handlebars so one could sit correctly with a straight back like a gentleman :-)
Oil level / pressure, HJ in the DT - henry k
p.s. a search of Google images with "rod brakes bicycle" will show them
Cheating I suppose as it's my bike. But I
wasn't happy when I found out it was a level indicator
rather than pressure - >>

Must be the Honda, not the R1?