Audi A4 brake lights light on their own - Dr Phibes
Hi

My Audi A4 Avant has recently developed an odd habit. Overnight, the brake lights come on on their own and stay on until I depress the brake pedal. On one particular occasion, I know that the brake lights were NOT on at 2 in the morning, but at 6, they were.
I've had a look at the brake pedal but all seems OK.

What's that all about ?

Cheers !
Audi A4 brake lights light on their own - Screwloose
Dr

What year? What spec level and do all three lights come on or just the lower two?
Sorry - Forgot to say.....

It;s a late 2002. ALL three lights come on too.
Audi A4 brake lights light on their own - 659FBE
VAG brake light switches are notoriously unreliable. A new ones is cheap, but make sure it's fitted properly. If you have a towbar, ensure that the trailer stoplamps are supplied via a relay as the VAG component is underspecified, even for solo use.

Audi A4 brake lights light on their own - Altea Ego
Its a VAG thing - My Touran did it, - brake light switch was changed,

Lord knows why it happens at night only! (and only when its cold)

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Did you change the switch yourself ?
If so, was it easy ?

Cheers for the advice folks.

Dr

You'll find the switch on the left of the clutch pedal; it's the one with four wires in a line. To access it you'll have to remove the driver's side lower dash panel - just a few screws. Grasp the switch; turn it anti-clockwise and remove it.

Fitting the switch is something else. It's a simple enough procedure; the pin on the switch is pulled out, the switch is pushed into the bayonet hole [pedal fully up] and turned clockwise until it clicks. If it goes "snap" you take it out and try the next one.....

Even the experts have a few spares handy when they're doing one of these as they're a little prone to breaking - I've heard of seven being needed.....
Thanks for all the info Screwloose. Think I'll have a try myself before taking it in to be done. Any ideas how much the switches are ?

Thanks again - Much appreciated.
Dr

Take the old one to pieces before you try; you'll see the little plastic contact-moving tag that often snaps as you twist it.

The switch must be fully "off" to locate it ready for the "click."

They're about £7 - good luck!
Cheers Screwloose !
Audi A4 brake lights light on their own - sallyann riley

this has just helped me massively after all the years ago it was originally posted lol thank you