Handing over a parking ticket-illegal ? - Steve G
I'm a criminal !
Today i used a car park on he outskirts of the New Forest and paid for a parking ticket as usual. I returned to my car a little later but there was 2 hours left on the ticket so i walked over to a old couple who had just entered the car park and handed over my ticket. To my amazement a man jumped out of a nearby van and asked what i was doing. I said its none of your business ,but he replied i'm from the local council and its an offence to transfer ownership of a parking ticket.Well I laughed and so did the old couple, has this country really got so bad that councils pay people to sit in car parks watching out for people commiting parking ticket offences ?
Needless to say in future i will be more covert when commiting such a *serious* criminal act.
Re: Handing over a parking ticket-illegal ? - me
councils commit countless criminal acts every day but are hardly ever brought to justice

for instance badly (negligently) designed road junctions which cause accidents are often at root cause the fault of the local council (and their engineers) yet these folk and the nameless faceless wonders behind the scenes never feel the pain

should have just been staight and told him to get stuffed
Re: Handing over a parking ticket-illegal ? - Alwyn
Steve,

It is an "offence" to transfer a ticket, but hardly in the Krays category.

My wife was about to accept a ticket from another lady in Llandudno last year and I heard the parking attendant say, "I wouldn't do that if I were you" A real jobsworth.

I firmly believe that parking tickets are not the real source of revenue from such car parks.

Our town council charges just 20p per car but the Town Centre Manager let slip that they make many more thousands of pounds a year from the fine revenue. If parking was free, there would be no fines.
Re: Handing over a parking ticket-illegal ? - Derek
I wonder if this precise 'offence' has ever been tested in court?
Re: Handing over a parking ticket-illegal ? - David W
Perhaps a Microsoft owned car park.

David
Re: Handing over a parking ticket-illegal ? - Flat in Fifth
David W wrote:
>
> Perhaps a Microsoft owned car park.
>

Ah but it would be illegal in a Microsoft carpark because having done part of the next journey, the driver would get the auto equiv of the blue screen, have to come back to the carpark to redo the journey and so need more parking time.

Simple innit!
Re: Handing over a parking ticket-illegal ? - Rodders
Yes it has. Can't remember the exact details but approx 10 yrs ago I read in the local rag(Surrey) that a guy had been prosecuted for the same 'offence'. Sad but true
Re: Handing over a parking ticket-illegal ? - Brian
I usually just stick the unexpired ticket onto the machine for the next visitor to collect, no hand to hand contact, no offence.
Re: Handing over a parking ticket-illegal ? - Mark (Brazil)
>>no hand to hand contact, no offence.

By you. However, anybody who used it would be committing one. And *strictly*, there's a couple could get thrown at you by the seriously pedantic.

And this isn't new, I got shouted at in the NCP in Swansea about 25yrs ago for exactly this.
Re: Handing over a parking ticket-illegal ? - David W
>And this isn't new, I got shouted at in the NCP in Swansea about 25yrs ago for exactly this.

Mark are you sure that wasn't "get you hair cut" you heard!

David
Re: non-transferrable & cheating local tax-pay - Jb
The terms & conditions will clearly state that these tickets are non-transferrable.

Also, as with pirated software, there is a genuine loss to the rightful owner of that source of income. In the case of Local Authorities, you are in effect cheating the local council-tax payers.
Re: Handing over a parking ticket-illegal ? - mike harvey
So,one day, you are feeling charitable, and buy a ticket, to give away FOC. In the interests of fairness, say, you will give it to the 10th car to come in the car park. An offence? I'd love to argue it in court. It would be worth standing in front of a council official doing just that with a fivers worth.
Mike
Re: Handing over a parking ticket-illegal ? - Mark (Brazil)
Not that time, although I do seem to recall that being uttered - along with "you in the Leather Jacket - OUT !" uttered by the occasional pub landlord.

Other famous quotes of that time would be;

No, Your Honour, never again.
Its in the post, Constable.
Well, it never used to be a 30 limit, Officer.
I've only had a pint, honest.
50p of 4 Star please

And, of course, the routine at the Cash Machines (which were new then and didn't work very well).. just five pounds, please give me five pounds, I'll pay you back, please let there be five pounds in my account - There never was, and I always ended up choosing between cigarettes, beer, and food.
Re: Handing over a parking ticket-illegal ? - Dave
Good point Mike.

And when a gorup of mates get out of the car and a random mate buys the ticket for the driver.

Undoubtably a transfer has taken place.

Like you I want someone to try and convict me for this.
Re: self defeating arguement - JB
Mike H: as long as you have not used that ticket previously on a car, you can give it to any car-owner because the transfer relates to the use of the ticket for parking a particular car.
Re: self defeating arguement - steve paterson
Read somewhere recently that the latest ticket machines need the registration No. entered. This is printed on the ticket.
Re: self defeating arguement - Cardew
Steve Paterson,
They have these machines in Shrewsbury. Its a b****r if you have a hir car and can't remember the VRN.

C
Re: self defeating arguement - Andy
Worceter Council has recently spent £thousands updating the parking meters so that you have to input the first 3 registration numbers to get a ticket. Seems a real waste of money now that registrations for new vehicles are 51 & 02.
Re: self defeating arguement - Ian L
This has been happening for years in N. Somerset. Any council replacing machines with this type now after over 6 months of the new reg no format is wasting tax payers money....the machines cant cope with any letters at all

Ian
Re: self defeating arguement - Brian
If the ticket is for the hire of a space for a specified time, why should it not be transferrable.
Is it for a person or a vehicle?
Say I drive in, buy a space and then swap cars with my wife?
Re: ticket is for car, not space - JB
In a traditional parking metered space, you pay for time in the occupied bay. When you leave, someone can occupy it free for any unused time.

In a traditional car park, you buy a ticket for a particular car to be parked anywhere within the car park. Once the car leaves the park, your contract expires.
Re: ticket is for car, not space - Mark (Brazil)
JB, I am not sure that is correct. I thought that it was against meter regs. to use unused time, but was impossible to enforce.

Someone in London have a look at a meter, I am sure it says something about this on them.

M.
Re: Handing over a parking ticket-illegal ? - Gary Bain
In certain area's of Derbyshire councils are bringing out new parking tickets machines where you will have to key in your registration number ,more expense to the tax payer.
Re: Handing over a parking ticket-illegal ? - Flat in Fifth
Gary Bain wrote:
>
> In certain area's of Derbyshire councils are bringing out new
> parking tickets machines where you will have to key in your
> registration number ,more expense to the tax payer.

So there will be a lot of folks keying in 51 and 02 then, DOH!

Fabia's fine BTW.
Re: Handing over a parking ticket-illegal ? - Robin
They have ticket machines that need the 1st 3 letters of your reg. number in Bristol. I could never work out why until now. Cunning of them. However, the machines onlyaccept numerical input ie 0 to 9. So, maybe not so cunning after all. I for one always just put in 111 but then I am a closet anarchist at heart. So far, no problems. I wonder what the legal position is on this? Do you have to enter your number. What about, as FIF points out, those with 51 and 02 cars.

A complete waste of time.
Re: Handing over a parking ticket-illegal ? - Dog Breath
How many people have paid for tickets at parking machines which have NO CHANGE GIVEN notices? Now that is a crime.
Re: self defeating arguement - Brian
There are two letters before the 51 and 02. But as these relate to the registration office and there is a limited range for each office, many of the locals are going to start with the same three digits.
Re: self defeating arguement - Idris Francis
Councile are able to make whatever rules they like (within reason) including non-transferability.

But a few years ago they used to fine people whose cars did not display valid tax discs - even stated that on their notices.

but someone took them on and won - law ruled none of their busines, its nthe DVLA's job

Idris
Re: self defeating arguement - Mark
Don't understand why they lost that one. It isn't a question of fining - it is a question of breach of contract.

If their terms & conditions state that you can only park there if you have a valid tax disc, which they often do, then not having a valid tax disc is the same as not having a valid parking ticket - breach of contract and the penalty can therefore apply.