Do I need a new car? - Paul Robinson
Regulars at the backroom will know that I?m always interested in postings about that intriguing, intangible matter of image.

A few years ago I wrote the following in an article:

?Some people consider all thoughts of image pure vanity, but when you are talking about a business tool, in my experience, if you?re traveling to visit customers, particularly new customers, the car you arrive in is as important as your dress code and the quality of your stationery. They all send messages about what sort of a business you are. The difficult bit is discerning what sort of image you really need. Who are those customers and target customers? I work mainly for individuals, the self employed, sole traders, the butcher, the baker, the aromatherapy candle maker, that sort of thing. If they were a bunch of Internet entrepreneurs running around in £30,000 status cars, attempting to convince venture capitalists how successful they are,
I am sure they would want me to drive something similar. But the majority of my customers are very ordinary people who respond to key words and phrases like ?friendly, personal service, prompt, efficient, professional, honest, committed and reasonable costs.? - Hence my present 1998 Peugeot 406.

Thing is, I?ve just agreed to spend 1 day a week for the rest of the year (with the possibility of increasing next year) working for a bunch of Internet entrepreneurs who run around in £30,000 status cars. They are prepared to be generous with motor expenses, so I need to decide if a change of vehicle is necessary and if so what would be appropriate particularly as I will be
spending 80% of my time servicing my traditional client base.

Any comments would be welcome.
Re: Do I need a new car? - Todd
Audi A6. Not something swedish as that gives the message that you are old to the Internet entrepreneurs.
Re: Do I need a new car? - Trevor Potter
Get a Hog. Blow ALL their minds.

(Yes, I do have one - well sort of - a jap copy - which means it handles and is MUCH more reliable than the "real thing".
Re: Do I need a new car? - The
Surely it's what you do, not who you work for, that's most relevant: so give us a clue.

PS I once had the good fortune, in a former life, to be a financial "consultant".

I always glided silently up to the drive of a very high net worth client with several IFAs, accountants, personal bankers, stockbrokers, etc.

And glided away just as silently in my old, but "executive" class, car.

Fortunately he lived half way down a very steep hill ;-(
Re: Do I need a new car? - Paul Robinson
'Surely it's what you do, not who you work for, that's most relevant: so give us a clue.' - I'm an accountant.
Re: Do I need a new car? - John S
Paul

I made a similar comment here about image, including the car, and suggested that I should visit clients looking as though:

a) I was worth the fees we charge
b) Other people thought we were worth them.

Didn't go down too well!

My suggestion - second hand 'quality' car. Right image, but suitably businesslike, in that your not chasing the absolute latest. Me - I've an S plate 323i coupe. May not work, but it's an ideal excuse to have a nice car. Damn it I've worked for over 30 years, so it's time I enjoyed some benefits!

Regards

John
Re: Do I need a new car? - Tomo
Lexus IS 200? Quality, but not intimidating. See car-by-car breakdown.

A problem could be no local dealer. If so, dare I suggest you go and look at some Toyotas? You might justify having one of them on the grounds that you require more reliability than some of the fancy things offer!
Re: Do I need a new car? - David Millar
JB may be on the right lines but a Beetle would be cheaper. Something that smacks of style but even cheaper would be VW Karmann Ghia or even Morris Minor Convertible. Upmarket would be a Bristol. None of this would, however, nevertheless hack it for high mileages and sole car use so why not go for the 406 coupe?
Re: Do you care what people think of you? - JB
Buy a car to make an impression (good or otherwise) only if you are that way inclined. Personally, I buy a vehicle to suit my travel, business and financial needs. The latter can mean how much I can afford as well as what my business demands. Eg. someone might need a minivan, or a transit, or a large luton or a HGV. Or they might just need an Audi TT as most estate agents around Walton/Weybridge appear to find adequate for the clipboard & tape-measure that they carry.
go for an Audi - Big Vern
Understated quality

If you want flash and can go for a coupe get a Volvo or 406 Coupe
Re: Do I need a new car? - peterb
2nd hand Merc/Audi as only car or possibly a cheapish classic as a 2nd car make sense.

I agree that the IS200 is a great car (I've had mine for 2 months now and I love it). However the 17" wheels and bulging bonnet may be a bit flash for your regular clients.

Best of luck

Peter
Re: Do I need a new car? - Darcy Kitchin
Keep your existing car and park it round the corner if it embarrasses you; a new customer is not sufficient excuse for getting rid of the devil you know.
Since I sold my company, my 60-mile commute has become 100 miles, and I have no oppurtunity to massage my mileage expenses. So I've commandeered Madame's 106K mile 1994 diesel AX which I can coax nearly 70 uncorrected mpg from.
My new bosses, one with BMW M5 with Alpina bodykit and BMW X5 in black with blacked-out windows and tyres like garden rollers(what a RIDICULOUS machine) frown on the AX and make oblique references to poor image and Noddy cars.
A straw poll among nearly 20 established and new customers showed that not one individual was bothered about what I drive. Most didn't even know and by implication certainly didn't care. I think it's what I bring to the table and not to the car park that keeps people talking to me and buying from me.

Keep the Pug and buy a new suit if you want to adjust your image.
Re: Do I need a new car? - Big Vern
There is a local independant electrical goods shop not far from my house, the space out the front of the shop is reserved for the Manager (NOT his customers!) he drives a V12 Merc (E class I think, not big into Mercs myself) and there is a young lad 23 - 25 ish driving a new BMW 3 series coupe with a fancy body kit not less than 2L maybe an M3 (have no looked hard enough) This tells me that they are obviously making too much money and don't care about customers, forcing them to park around the back.
Re: Do I need a new car? - Alwyn
Flash cars can give many impressions.

Gosh, he must be successful at what he does.
Gosh, he must be charging a lot for his services, he has a better car than me.
Gosh, I bet that's not paid for.
Gosh what a prat; does he think that makes him look good?
Gosh, he is advising me but spending load of cash on a depreciating asset. How clever it that?

And so on. You pays your money.

The image projected by the car you drive is in your own mind and irrelevant once you have parked it.
Re: Do I need a new car? - David W
Paul,

You certainly do like to ponder on this one time and again. Actually Bogush (The) puts his finger on the crucial point.

Your car shouldn't have to change client by client, they will all expect something in keeping with their perception of your job.

I would expect to see you visit me in the same car as the chap across the road who may be (is I think) a millionaire, he would to.

Interestingly I was in the City Sainsburys on Sunday and trawled through the busy car park thinking now which cars here look worth taking home.

Disregarding their different driving ability, reliability, costs and class variations....just down to a instant gut feeling. Only three out of hundreds, all just a few years old as it happens....

Black Mercedes estate, black Mondeo and a mid metallic blue Peugeot 406.

So I think you are about right already but I'll allow an upgrade to a restrained Mercedes if you want!

David
Re: Do I need a new car? - Paul Robinson
Thank you David.

What do you consider to be 'a restrained Mercedes'?

Regards

Paul

P.S. My 406 is metallic diabolo red.
Narrowing down the MB option. - David W
Paul,

>'a restrained Mercedes'

Anything in the middle ranges (and middle ages if you want) without lowered suspension, monster alloys and a fur interior?

What some of the *boys* might call boring but after all you are an.........

;-)

David
Re: Do I need a new car? - Martin Hayman
Lease a Merc C200. Accountants love 'em. They are even said to be good to drive.
Re: Do I need a new car? - mike harvey
If you were a hairdresser Paul, the choice would be much easier!
If you opted for something a bit luxurious though, you could always approach your clients with fog lights on or off, CD loud and booming or quiet, baseball cap on correctly or back to front.... You have so many ways to present your image in the one car!
Mike
Re: Do I need a new car? - Richard Turpin
Best hairdresser cars are 1) new Beetle 2)new Mini.