What does 'SWMBO' stand for? - perleman
I can see it is used in place of 'Spouse' but can't work out the acronym...
What does 'SWMBO' stand for? - pettaw
She who must be obeyed :)
What does 'SWMBO' stand for? - L'escargot
She who must be obeyed :)

So it's just an abbreviation, but why in upper case letters? A lot of people these days don't seem to realise they exist at all!
--
L\'escargot.
What does 'SWMBO' stand for? - Armitage Shanks {p}
It is not an abbreviation, it is an acronym (I am a pedant!). We write NATO not nato and DVLA not dvla.
What does 'SWMBO' stand for? - Altea Ego
Short White Mother of Boy at 'Ome
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
What does 'SWMBO' stand for? - Canuck
From Wikipedia

SWMBO comes from She: A History of Adventure, a novel by H. Rider Haggard

The title is short for "She Who Must Be Obeyed", a translation of the Arabic honorific used for Ayesha by the Amahagger, a tribe whom she has enslaved. (The phrase acquired additional significance in British popular culture as the name by which John Mortimer's character Horace Rumpole refers to his wife.)

SWMBO subsequently rose to worldwide fame on the Honest John website.

The last line has yet to be added!
What does 'SWMBO' stand for? - adverse camber
was it not used by Rumpole ? I think that that is where I first came across it. As opposed to Arfur Daily's 'Er Indoors.
What does 'SWMBO' stand for? - FP
The Rider Haggard origin seems correct. To put a little more detail on why an "honorific" was used in the novel and not a name, here is an outline of the background:

During the height of the Victorian era, Henry Rider Haggard wrote a series of thrilling adventures set in Africa, then known as the dark continent. One of these was entitled King Soloman's (sic) Mines. The story concerned the search for the lost tribe of King Soloman (sic) and their diamond mines. The leader of the tribe was the mysterious and ageless Ayesha. Her subjects were forbidden to call her by her real name. They could only call her “She.” She had the power of life and death over her subjects, therefore She was most often refered to as “She, who must be obeyed.”

I did once read the novel, many years ago!

The point is that "SWMBO" jocularly refers to a female "significant other" whose influence over the male is terrifying and absolute... At least, I assume it's jocular... :-)
What does 'SWMBO' stand for? - henry k
The Rider Haggard origin seems correct.

I agree especially by chance Rider Haggard was the subject of a BBC2 program 1120 last night and SWMBO was well covered.
What does 'SWMBO' stand for? - madf
I can be a real pedant:-)

"One of these was entitled King Soloman's (sic) Mines. The story concerned the search for the lost tribe of King Soloman (sic) and their diamond mines. The leader of the tribe was the mysterious and ageless Ayesha. Her subjects were forbidden to call her by her real name. They could only call her "She." She had the power of life and death over her subjects, therefore She was most often refered to as "She, who must be obeyed." "

Well yes it was by Rider Haggard. But not in King Solomon's mines..Ayesha was in "SHE" .. based in Africa but reached through malaria infested swamps whilst King Solomon's Mines were reached after crossing a very high dessert and then mountains.

Pedantry rules ok:-)

SWMBO dislikes literary allusions which are incorrect.
madf
What does 'SWMBO' stand for? - L'escargot
We write NATO not nato and DVLA not dvla.

"We" as in "you and I" do but it doesn't apply to everybody!
--
L\'escargot.
What does 'SWMBO' stand for? - boxsterboy
She Who May Be Ordered

As if !!
What does 'SWMBO' stand for? - hillman1 {p}
Some Weird Mans Body Odour!?
What does 'SWMBO' stand for? - Stuartli
The acronym for SWMBO in my case is MONA.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Short White Man - Bald Ontop

Nofm2r - u there?
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
We could spend all day making up amusing suggestions! The one I haven't got a clue about though is IIRC. It is probably very simple, but so am I and I can't for the life of me figure it out. Please put me out of my misery and make me look foolish!!
What does 'SWMBO' stand for? - tr7v8
IIRC= If I remember Correctly
Hooray, I can sleep again! Thanks!!
www.acronymfinder.com/
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
What does 'SWMBO' stand for? - Dalglish
.. "We" as in "you and I" do but it doesn't apply to everybody! - L'escargot.

you called? it is the innernet, init?

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/976960.stm
www.litencyc.com/php/speople.php?rec=true&UID=1093

regards, e e cummings.
What does 'SWMBO' stand for? - Stuartli
>>egards, e e cummings.>>

Seem to be a lot of Cummings and Cohens...:-0
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by