New Focus automatic - fash
Hello All,

I've heard a few bad reports about the new Focus CVT automatic but can't decide whether people are talking about the petrol or diesel versions. Anyone got one of these or have any more info?

Thanks
New Focus automatic - 1066
i borrowed one for a few days last month and it was nice and smooth and pulled well for a fairly heavy car>> Hello All,
New Focus automatic - SjB {P}
Historically, it was diesel CVT Focus models:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=38873&...e

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=21770&...e

I haven't read anything about current generation Focus automatics.
New Focus automatic - fash
Thanks for the info.
New Focus automatic - RobC
Having had the misfortune of owning an Orion with a CVT I would not risk another CVT Ford.

However, the petrol Focus 1.6 uses the same conventional 4 speed autobox as found on the Mazda 3, and they seem very reliable.
New Focus automatic - Ruperts Trooper
They're NOT talking about a diesel automatic - Ford have withdrawn automatic diesels across the whole range - you can have diesel or you can have automatic but not both together.

It seems that the autoboxes available to Ford won't take the torque of a diesel and they won't use the Toyota (aka Aisin-Warner) autoboxes used by Toyota, Lexus, Opel, Vauxhall, Saab and Volvo.

I just hope that Ford (PAG) doesn't stop Volvo using the Toyota autobox with their D5.
New Focus automatic - Ruperts Trooper
I'm glad Ford haven't lost it completely - I'll put the new Mondeo Estate diesel automatic back on the short list.
New Focus automatic - Vincent de Marco
The new Mondeo, S-Max and Galaxy get the Aisin-Warner 6-speed auto with 2.0 litre diesel engines only from May build/June delivery.

Finally !
- - - - - - -
Free enterprise is the basis of western democracy.
New Focus automatic - machika
Is the CVT auto box still carrying on in the Focus 1.6 TDCi?
New Focus automatic - rcspeirs
I had a Focus 1.6 (petrol) auto from Hertz last month. Car was on 56 plate.

I was convinced it was CVT - not 4 speed.

Smooth - but far too underpowered for my taste.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why Ford won't do diesel auto. Hertz also gave me a Zafira 1.9 with 6 speed auto recently - I was very impressed with that powertrain
New Focus automatic - Cardew
For the life of me, I cannot understand why Ford won't
do diesel auto. Hertz also gave me a Zafira 1.9
with 6 speed auto recently - I was very impressed with
that powertrain

Been discussed plenty of times, but a conventional Autobox on a diesel can serious damage fuel economy - HJ reported by 25% on BMW.

Given that economy and high torque for good acceleration in low gears(not required with an auto) are the main reasons for buying a diesel, it is not surprising that diesel autos are relatively rare.
New Focus automatic - Avant
The operative word there is 'conventional' - the CVT and DSG boxes make very little difference to economy, and - given that if you choose a diesel it's because you do a high mileage - they're worth having.
Been discussed plenty of times but a conventional Autobox on a
diesel can serious damage fuel economy - HJ reported by 25%
on BMW.
Given that economy and high torque for good acceleration in low
gears(not required with an auto) are the main reasons for buying
a diesel it is not surprising that diesel autos are relatively
rare.

It will still give much better economy than a petrol engine with a conventional autobox. Our C5 HDI automatic betters the mpg of my wife's Swift automatic.
Given that economy and high torque for good acceleration in low
gears(not required with an auto) are the main reasons for buying
a diesel it is not surprising that diesel autos are relatively
rare.

Some manufacturers seem to do them, e.g Renault, PSA, GM and Ford, and some don't, so not that rare any longer. The Japanese manufacturers seem to steer clear of them.