ford focus timing belt - gadgee
There appears to be confusion as to when to renew the timing belt on a mk 1 Focus. I run a 51reg 1.6 zetec and my Ford dealer does not give a definitive answer. The book says 100,000 miles and other "experts" say 60 - 80.000 miles. My car has completed 81,000 miles. So what do contributors to this site have to say please?
ford focus timing belt - Pugugly {P}
I would change it now - Sis' Puma had one of these 100,000 mile belts, if you look at Pumapeople some horror stories there about premature faliure. It ain't healthy leaving it that long !
ford focus timing belt - henry k
The book says 100,000 miles and other "experts" say 60 - 80.000 miles.

IIRC Earlier Zetec ( silver top) engines were 80,000 miles but all the newer engines as per book.
I have not seen reports of failures so I would stick to 100k .
ford focus timing belt - bell boy
we are in year 2007
for peace of mind ........yours
change it
ford focus timing belt - yorkiebar
Seen loads fail before the magic 100k.

Change it. They suffer from ageing as well as mileage.

Changed too soon = money spent too soon. Changed too late = possible new engine/head/car and most certainly more money than it could have been!
ford focus timing belt - daveyjp
You've missed a bit off the recommendation - it's 100,000 miles or 5 years whichever occurs first. A colleague's failed after just short of five years and 50,000 miles. You are living on borrowed time.
ford focus timing belt - wantone
I think its ten year/100.000 mile but you would be mad to leave it any longer in my opinion.
When i bought my focus estate it was six year old with 80.000 miles under its belt and the first thing i did was book it into fords for a belt kit (£200 fitted).Plenty off belt problems on ffoc(when it was free to view) but i think the tensioners normally give way before the belt.
Get it done mate,lighter in the pocket but happier in mind.
ford focus timing belt - gadgee
Thank you for your responses. You confirm my suspicions and I shall get it changed within next few weeks!