Mondeo 1998 2.5 Auto - Woolfy2305
Perhaps you may be able to help me where my local Ford dealer have been a little shy. I recently bought a 1998 2.5 duratech mondeo auto from an auction site, every thing seemed ok although I was told it needed a service and wheels needed tracking. On the way home i noticed some vibration after I had been driving for about 30 mins, but put this down to the tracking needing to be aligned. Then the O/D light came on and started flashing and the vibration seemed to die down. Since I was driving on the motorway no other symptoms were noticed, it was not until I got nearly home and came off the motorway, stopped then pulled away that I noticed when the car changed from first to second it felt like I was breaking the G-force as it was a large and loud clonk with a jolt. I did ask the previous owners about this but they denied all knowledge of it (Surprise , Surprise), also since I was planning getting the car serviced did not worry. Next morning clonk still there but then disappeared after 5 mins. Managed to book the car in for service in 2 weeks time. by the time I got the car to be serviced (a full 120k service) the overdrive flashing business happened about 4 more times.
The local ford dealer/garage were unable to ascertain the cause of the fault, because it and gone out when they had the car. I did ask then to check gearbox , which they stated that there was enough oil in the gearbox.
It is still happening, I have managed to ascertain that the vibration occurs after the engine has warmed up and happens around 40mph, also when the light flashes the vibration stops.

Has anyone got any ideas, apart from the light flashing no other problems.
Mondeo 1998 2.5 Auto - Dave N
When the OD light started flashing on my '95 V6 Mondeo, Ford fitted a new gearbox under warranty.