clutch failure on 2005 8000-mile Meriva - paulb10
The manual clutch on my father's 2005 1.6 Meriva, which he has owned from new, just failed abruptly leaving him stranded on the A38.

The car has done under 8000 miles. Nearly all of that has been clocked up on motorways and country roads.

His garage/dealership told him the problem was down to wear-and-tear, not covered by warranty. He has just paid a bill of 700 quid for a new clutch.

Of course it is possible that he has been unwittingly riding the clutch pedal. He is 84 years old after all. On the other hand he has been driving for 55 years and never before worn out a clutch. There have been no problems with the clutch on his previous car - an Astra - that I bought from him in 2005 with 30,000 miles on the clock and still own.

Is it possible that an underlying mechanical fault could accelerate wear on the clutch? Any advice on how to fight out corner on this one?

clutch failure on 2005 8000-mile Meriva - Altea Ego
When you say it failed abruptly, I assume that means it did not start to slip. Clutch slip starts gradualy and a car is driveable for a while.

Sudden total failure means something broke. That aint wear and tear. Its probably too late now but you needed to find out what was replaced and why to argue this one. (like do you have the old parts?)
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
clutch failure on 2005 8000-mile Meriva - Micky
Ask the garage nicely to prove that it was wear and tear.

I hope I'm driving at 84, although my fellow road users might not ;-)
clutch failure on 2005 8000-mile Meriva - paulb10
Thanks for support.

Yep, it just suddenly stopped working - no warning.

Yes, we'll ask the garage to prove it although yes, it might be too late since they will have "conveniently" disposed of the old part!