Scrap! - FotheringtonThomas
I called a breaker to see if they'd have my old Cavalier. They would, and they'd give me £35 for it. I called a scrap metal dealer. They'd have the car too, but they'd give me £50! So, off to the scrap metal man it went - he's got a surprisingly useful job, and the processing is interesting.

The scrap vehicle has the tyres removed, and all fluids drained. Some of these are recycled (fuel, particularly, is put into drums, and sent for "cleaning" and re-use. The scrap man is paid for this fuel). After this, the whole vehicle goes straight through a shredder, which reduces it to small pieces. I was surprised by this, and asked whether particular components (e.g. cylinder blocks, starter motor housings) caused trouble (they don't). Steel and cast iron is magnetically sorted. Aluminium is largely hand-sorted, along with bits of copper wire and so on. What's left is fed back into the system in a batch "in case they missed something".

That's about it. The noise that the shredding machinery makes when on the go is quite something. If you drain the fluids yourself, and remove the tyres, the scrap man will give you more money for the vehicle!
Scrap! - Jonathan {p}
Better still if you sell the interior and wing mirrors on ebay and then call him when you've got an empty shell.
Scrap! - Dynamic Dave
and wing mirrors

Last Vauxhall I recall having wing mirrors was a Chevette.
Scrap! - BazzaBear {P}
>> and wing mirrors
Last Vauxhall I recall having wing mirrors was a Chevette.

Last person I recall making a point about the difference between wing and door mirrors despite everyone knowing what is meant was ...
Oh right, yeah, that was on here too! ;)

(Sorry DD, just couldn't resist poking a little fun, please don't hit me with your banning stick!)
Scrap! - Group B
About 4 years ago I scrapped a 1989 Saab 9000. The door mirrors were electric adjustable, heated ones and I expected to get a tenner each on ebay, but got £25 for one and £75 for the other! Got £40 for a pair of alloys with tyres, and about £50 for assorted other bits. Disappointingly I didn't have time to strip the beige leather interior but my g.f. wanted the car off her drive by the time we got back off holiday. :o(
I could have got more than the cars' purchase price back if I'd sold that.

Only got £15 off the scrap man for the rest of the car though, but it was a while ago so prices must have gone up...
Scrap! - Dynamic Dave
Last person I recall making a point about the difference between wing and door mirrors

Did I ;o) Sorry, pet hate of mine.
please don't hit me with your banning stick!

As if I would Bazza. I only do that to people who actually deserve it.
Scrap! - Cliff Pope
>> >> and wing mirrors
>>
>> Last Vauxhall I recall having wing mirrors was a Chevette.
>>
Last person I recall making a point about the difference between
wing and door mirrors despite everyone knowing what is meant was
Oh right, yeah, that was on here too! ;)

Classic-car-accessories still do replacement wing mirrors, in the traditional variations of arms and mirror shapes.
Everyone does not know the difference -eg older Triumph 2000s have wing mirrors, later ones have door mirrors. If you call them all wing mirrors you get the wrong ones.

But there are lots of other parts worth salvaging off a car before scrapping it.
Scrap! - DP
The Scenic has "post mirrors" as they sit at the bottom of the A-post, not on the doors or wing panel.

It looks surprisingly odd to open a door and have the mirrors stay in the same place.

Cheers
DP
Scrap! - Altea Ego
As a pedants day....

The scenic 2 has A post mirrors. The scenic 1 has door mirrors.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Scrap! - Round The Bend
"The scenic 2 has A post mirrors"

Does it? I'll go and look in a minute.
Scrap! - L'escargot
Last person I recall making a point about the difference between
wing and door mirrors ..........

Before wing mirrors or door mirrors became factory-fitted items you could buy mirrors which clipped onto the front of the door.
--
L\'escargot.
Scrap! - Clk Sec
Wing mirrors. Fitted for donkey's years, surely.
Scrap! - bell boy
does anybody remember the aerials that clipped onto the quarter light window?
Scrap! - milkyjoe
does anybody remember the aerials that clipped onto the quarter light
window?

and a parking light that had plain glass front and red glass at rear that you clipped to the door glass or summet (wouldnt last 5 minutes now tho)
Scrap! - Clk Sec
Going slightly off subject - the last car I scrapped, many moons ago, was an 8 year old Chrysler 180 with terminal rust problems that had been evident for a couple of years or more. Did anyone achieve a longer lifespan from this or the 2.0 model? Can anyone remember this or the 2.0 model??

Clk Sec
Scrap! - Brian Tryzers
>Can anyone remember this or the 2.0 model??

Yes. I occasionally got a lift to school in a 2.0 one in about 1980. Green, I think, with brown dralon seats and an automatic (I think they all were.) Looked like a giant Avenger but was rather smarter (even with the brown dralon.)
Scrap! - Simon
Scrap prices are currently running very high, so now is a good time to weigh in any scrap metal junk that you have knocking about. If you are about to weigh a car in though make sure that you take the Catalytic Converter of it first, and weigh that in separately. The cat's are worth a (relatively) large amount of money on their own and depending on its size, may be worth £30 to £40 alone.
Scrap! - Simon
A quick update on price for you. A workmate of mine weighed in 64 cats today, the average that each cat made was £25.40 each overall.
Scrap! - L'escargot
Can anyone remember this or
the 2.0 model??

Yep. I worked for the manufacturer (in R&D) at the time. It was before rust -resistance was designed into cars.
--
L\'escargot.
Scrap! - Clk Sec
It certainly was, L'escargot!

Clk Sec
Scrap! - bell boy
Hope you have sent the v5c off FotheringtonThomas telling swansea that you were the end keeper and you personally scrapped it and didnt give it to a third party to dispose of (photocopy this in case it gets lost in the post)
As a point of interest as they were the end of life centre did they offer you a v913 form confirming that the car will never go back on the road and you are free from any speeding tickets etc levied in any future corrospondence from the authorities?
Not law technically but certainly peace of mind for the future
This certificate also confirms that they do also hold a waste licence for vehicle crushing
Scrap! - Vansboy
Being enviromentally friendly, I always used to have a trade in 'scrapper' parked at the rear of the yard, by the workshops, which we loaded with all the old metal parts & had it taken away, when it got full, or looked too untidy.

Cheaper than a skip & did everyone a favour, then. Bet we'd be in trouble for flouting some obscure HSE guidelines now - I know we wouldn't be allowed to transport it to the breakers ourselves, as it would constitute industrial/commercial waste, for which a licience would be needed!

VB
Scrap! - milkyjoe
i was forced to scrap a mk 1 cav at hose point by the water plod years ago because of a leaky petrol tank (only ever noticed it on hot sunny days) and they followed me down the scrappy in their fire engine!!
Scrap! - boxsterboy
Can anyone remember this or
the 2.0 model??

Yes. Sort of pumped-up Avenger in looks. It came to mind the other day when I saw one in the background of 'Herbie Goes To Monte-Carlo' DVD with the kids the other day.
Scrap! - boxsterboy
After this, the whole vehicle goes straight through
a shredder, which reduces it to small pieces. I was surprised
by this, >>

Yes, so much for re-cycling!

I remember when the Golf Mk 3 was launched at the Motor Show there was a machine on the VW stand that was chewing up old VW bumpers one end and spitting out moulded model Golf Mk 3s the other end. Still got mine.

The point was how re-cyclable the Golf was. I suppose the labour in stripping the cars out must far outweigh the scrap value, so it isn't done.