Rover 25 running out of fuel - alpha1
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me. My Rover 25 (52 reg) ran out of fuel yesterday, when I eventually managed to get some fuel back into the car it still wouldn't start. I think the problem is that there is now a fuel blockage as dirt from the tank has become dislodged hence causing the problem.

Firstly, is this a big problem (and are any new parts needed) or can it be fixed easily?! And secondly does anybody have any idea of the cost to fix this?!
Rover 25 running out of fuel - Screwloose
alpha1

Petrol or diesel? How much fuel have you put back in?

Dirt in fuel tanks/blocked lines is a bit of a myth unless you've been filling it from dodgy sources.
Hi, its petrol. I put about a fivers worth back in so around 5 litres. I can confirm i've only been filling from supermarket pumping stations.
Rover 25 running out of fuel - Screwloose
alpha 1

Try another fiver's worth. 25's can have fuel pick-up issues and it may not have enough in there to prime the pump.

Can you hear the fuel pump running inside the tank [just for a few seconds] when you switch it on/crank it?

If not; try the previously mentioned inertia switch [square rubber top] it's on the bulkhead near the servo.
Hi, thanks for that i'll give it a go tonight, hopefully a fivers worth should sort it out. I can hear something running for a few seconds when I crank it (I don't know too much about cars but it does sound like liquid trying to be pumped), also I tried the inertia switch yesterday which didn't get it started so hopefully it is just a case of needing more fuel.

Thanks for all your help, i'll update tomorrow to let you know if it was successfull!
Rover 25 running out of fuel - Civic8
What was the fuel guage reading when you stopped,ie was it in the red,though I suspect as mentioned you have another problem poss CPS fault,need to get it checked out
--
Steve
What was the fuel guage reading when you stopped,ie was it
in the red,though I suspect as mentioned you have another problem
poss CPS fault,need to get it checked out
--
Steve

Hi the fuel guage was in the red when I lost power but the light didn't come on as its broken. I just tried putting another 5litres in. when I cranked it it almost started once or twice but then the next time I just got this 'drilling' sound followed by a beep. Any ideas anyone?
Rover 25 running out of fuel - Civic8
>>I just got this 'drilling' sound followed by a beep.

If it came from the back its pump,petrol is its lubrication and cooler,without it it burns out.
--
Steve
Rover 25 running out of fuel - milkyjoe
isnt there a shut off solenoid that has to be reset or summet?
Rover 25 running out of fuel - Simon
Are you sure the original problem was that you had ran out of fuel? You may be barking up the wrong tree and it could be something else entirely.
Rover 25 running out of fuel - bell boy
rover 25 pumps dont like being run dry (petrol)
you may well need another pump ....bro
Rover 25 running out of fuel - dan_b
it could even b an ecu problem but this is less likey it's probally the fatc that u mite need to fill up the resrve part of the tank before it will work then it would b fine or u mite habv a dodgey tank sensor which i think would cost about £30 ish i'm not 100% sure about that tho hope this helps you