Coolant ? - Pezzer
The coolant warning is coming up on my 120d. Can I top it up with a little water or do I need some mega-expensive soopa doopa BMW stuff? I have RTFM but it isnt clear !

Thanks
P
Coolant ? - Dalglish
..do I need some mega-expensive soopa doopa BMW stuff?

it doesn't have to be expensive. try gsf or eurocarparts. ( i think "hj's faq" for useful websites has the links to them).

Coolant ? - Dalglish

you want faq no.29
www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=55
and
www.honestjohn.co.uk/directories/DirUrl.htm?blk=Di...l

Coolant ? - Number_Cruncher
In your shoes, I would also want to know where this coolant has gone to - do you have a leak?

Number_Cruncher
Coolant ? - daveyjp
I'm with NC - a drop in coolant means it's going somewhere. Last time I had to add coolant to any car I've owned was a 19 year old Ford Fiesta with severe engine cooling issues!
Coolant ? - Aprilia
Agree with the above posts. Type of coolant is the least of your worries at the moment. These cars have a 'sealed' cooling system and any loss can only be due to a leak of some description. I would top it up (with BMW-appoved coolant mix if available, or water if not) and get it to a garage ASAP for a pressure test.
Some cars do lose a little coolant through evaporation because they have an 'open' cooling system with a non-sealed header tank (most Japanese cars) - the BMW is not one of them.
Coolant ? - Pezzer
Thanks folks, yes I had had the same thought, although I dont believe the loss is great,

Coolant ? - Alan
Don't try to buy the coolant at halfords. When I tried they only had the standard blue stuff and had never even heard of anything else.
Coolant ? - cheddar
Halfords do a range of coolants one of which is probably BMW compatable.

It could be that the car was marginally low on coolant from new and a fractional loss has triggered the level warning, if it needs only a few ml I would use deionised water or boiled water from the kettle though decanted so as to avoid getting limescale into the system. Then mark the level when cold and keep a check.
Coolant ? - L'escargot
I have RTFM but it
isnt clear !

The stuff in my Focus is sort of pink! ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
Coolant ? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
My Passat was losing coolant slowly and it was a corroded radiator- well hidden as well.
Get it sorted before there is a bigger problem.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.