How do Manufacturers Choose Tyres - ndr116
Reading some of the 'what tyres are best for my car' Back Room posts got me thinking, how do car manufacturers choose which tyre to supply on the vehicle from new? Does the development of a car take one, many or no brands of tyre into consideration? Or is it all down to cost?
How do Manufacturers Choose Tyres - jc2
Most quantity manufacturers will test with several makes of tyre;yes, costs will come into it but when you're talking millions of tyres,all the quotes will be very similar.Tyres are tested by the car manufacturer for grip(wet & dry),noise,durability,rolling resistance and a few other lesser criteria.
How do Manufacturers Choose Tyres - L'escargot
Does the
development of a car take one, many or no brands of
tyre into consideration?

Many. Using a sole supplier could stop production if there was a supply problem.
--
L\'escargot.
How do Manufacturers Choose Tyres - Aprilia
For a given size the performance premium brand tyres will be very similar.

During the design stage the car manufacturer will work with a couple of preferred supplies. The tyre co. will supply a computer model of the tyre - which will incorporate information on parameters such as compliance, sidewall stiffness etc etc. The chassis designers will incorporate this into their computer model of the car's suspension. Using this model they will be able to understand how the chassis will respond to different types of input etc - probably working with tyre co 'applications engineers'. This helps them decide on the best tyre profile for the car.

During prototype testing the test cars will be fitted with sample tyres and the predictions of the computer model will be verified. Other issues such as tyre noise (difficult to predict due to standing-wave patterns in the sidewall) will also be investigated.
Thanks Aprilia.
How do Manufacturers Choose Tyres - DP
Interesting one this. A friend had a Celica 190 VVTLi and when the original P Zeros wore out, he had them replaced with the same again as he was delighted with their performance. The replacement tyres were nowhere near as good as the originals, particularly in the wet, and the car was significantly more understeer prone in all conditions.

He was told by his local tyre dealer that Toyota's OEM tyres are a different compound to the aftermarket ones, and that the OEM compound was not available to buy as a replacement. He also said there wasn't much difference and you shouldn't notice it.

How true the latter is I don't know, but I can confirm the difference after the tyres were swapped out (they also lasted 5k longer than the originals suggesting a harder compound).

He then went for Bridgestone Potenzas which were much more like the original tyres in behaviour and life.

Cheers
DP
He was told by his local tyre dealer that Toyota's OEM
tyres are a different compound to the aftermarket ones, and that
the OEM compound was not available to buy as a replacement.

I seriously doubt this is true.

Car manufacturers would work with preferred suppliers to arrive at a suitable fitment - probably against a guarantee of certain %age of the business. Once the vehicle is in production then other companies would be invited to tender (against a requirements spec) for the remaining business. I don't think any companies would be interested in a 'bespoke' compound other than for very special high-value appications.
What is more likely is that the manufacturer made changes to the compound over the years.
Remember that the manufacturers' tyres were probably only made a few days before going onto the vehicle;what you buy from your local tyre shop may have been sitting around in warehouses and storerooms for a considerable time.
And then someone goes out and spends a fortune on wheels/tyres because they look "pretty".I always used to order my cars with steels because 1.the size was the same;2.the weight was the same;and 3.they didn't get nicked!
How do Manufacturers Choose Tyres - Group B
interested in a 'bespoke' compound other than for very special high-value
appications.

That reminds me didn't Bridgestone work together with Honda to develop a new tyre specifically for the original NSX. IIRC they were unidirectional and different sizes front and rear, so each corner required a unique tyre. Obviously not the normal way of doing it...
The early Mk.III Cortina was only available in GT form with Bias-belted tyres;people who fitted the equivalent size in conventional radials soon found out why-tho' the majority of drivers would not reach the extremes used in testing.
A sample test for stability.Drive down the test track at 80mph.Take both hands off the wheel,with one hand rapidly put on a half turn of lock and release the wheel.Count the number of oscillations of the wheel before the vehicle becomes stable again.Repeat for the other lock.
How do Manufacturers Choose Tyres - Mad Maxy
I once had a 1984 BMW 318i from new; came with Contis, I think. At some stage I replaced the fronts with same-size/rated Michelins, and the car felt quite different, awful even.

Which led me later, when I had a VW Golf GTI that needed new front tyres, to ring up VAG tech folk and ask them what brands they recommended. The dumb broad I spoke to - technical by bottom - didn't know what I was on about, said just fit the right spec. Since when I've always replaced like with like, on the grounds that doing otherwise could cause big dissatisfaction.
How do Manufacturers Choose Tyres - Vansboy
& of course, if you're a big enough car maker & you design a poor handling model, which has all the associted charecteristics you'd expect from a 4x4, as long as you've selected the right tyre supplier, you can level all the blame at them - when you'r cars start rolling over!!

VB
How do Manufacturers Choose Tyres - Hamsafar
Tyres are generally revised many times during their life-cycle. I usually keep the same make/type of tyre, so notice that when I get a new pair, they are more often than not different from the pair on the other axle. They have extra small sipes added in the blocks for example. I remember this on Pirelli P7, I remember P6000 have different Nylon/Ply/Rayon/Cord ratings, and Goodyear F1s change in treadwear and country of origin.
How do Manufacturers Choose Tyres - a900ss
I actually do believe it to be true - particularly as the car was Japanese. Going back to my motorcycling days, it was well known that the country of origin on a certain tyre affected it's performance. I think one of the tyres was made in France, I can't remember where the other was made. Same tyre model, different country of manufacture, completely different performance of grip.

If this happens with motorcycle tyres, why shouldn'tit happen with car tyres as well?

I actually do believe it to be true - particularly as
the car was Japanese. Going back to my motorcycling days,
it was well known that the country of origin on a
certain tyre affected it's performance. I think one of the
tyres was made in France, I can't remember where the other
was made. Same tyre model, different country of manufacture, completely
different performance of grip.
If this happens with motorcycle tyres, why shouldn'tit happen with car
tyres as well?

I can quite believe that the same series of tyre would be made with slightly differing compounds depending on time and place of manufacturer. Like in any other business, tyre makers make slight alterations to compound, processes and design in order to reduce costs and bring about other improvements. This is different to saying that they would make a special formulation of the tyre just for OEM fitment - at least on 'mainstream' cars.
How do Manufacturers Choose Tyres - SjB {P}
The OEM Pirelli P6000s fitted to my 2003 V70 were so average in some respects and below average in others that I feel they can only have been fitted on the grounds of low cost. As an old tyre design with development costs recouped eons before, no doubt they were sold to Volvo for peanuts. The Goodyear Eagle GS-D3 F1s that I fitted as replacements are in a strikingly different league in all respects; perfectly suited to the chassis characteristics of the car, they stand as the best road tyre I've ever used.
How do Manufacturers Choose Tyres - Falkirk Bairn

How do Manufacturers Choose Tyres - Lots of factors

1) Price

2) Price

99) Price

100) Everything else in spec

How do Manufacturers Choose Tyres - Avant

This thread was resurrected by a spammer (now deleted), but of course FB is quite right.

Both our Audis came on Bridgestones, for reasons undoubtedly of cost - it cerainly wasn't performance. The Q2 now has some very good Vredestein all-season tyres: less road noise and the ride is better.

How do Manufacturers Choose Tyres - RT

This thread was resurrected by a spammer (now deleted), but of course FB is quite right.

Both our Audis came on Bridgestones, for reasons undoubtedly of cost - it cerainly wasn't performance. The Q2 now has some very good Vredestein all-season tyres: less road noise and the ride is better.

That shows how tyres and cars match in particular ways - my VW Touareg, related to the Audi Q7, had Bridgestone OE tyres which were quieter and better ride than the Vredestein Quatrac Pro now fitted.

How do Manufacturers Choose Tyres - Engineer Andy

That shows how tyres and cars match in particular ways - my VW Touareg, related to the Audi Q7, had Bridgestone OE tyres which were quieter and better ride than the Vredestein Quatrac Pro now fitted.

Indeed - My first (and previous) car, a mid 90s Nissan Micra, had Dunlop OEM tyres which were terrible in the wet, and I changed them for some brilliant Bridgestone RE720s (these tyres were given the thumbs up from Skidpan too).

My current 2005/6 Mazda 3 had Bridgestone ER30s on them as OEMs, which were very noisy after 6-12 months (barely worn) and VERY bad in the wet when less than half worn. Replaced them with Dunlops which were MILES better on both fronts. Now shod on CC+s which are excellent, though not yet tried out on snow.

I agree that, aside from a few cars, most appear to either go for the cheapest they can get away with or, for 'premium' (read performance) cars, they just go by performance/grip, as they don't care about the price, which is normally extortionate anyway.

Many OEM tyres are extremely hard to come by for direct replacements, as many Mazda car owners with 18in Dunlop Sport Maxx tyres will attest. That often makes replacing them a VERY expensive prospect, which those tyres offered often being previous generation ones with poor rolling resistance and/or wear rates.

How do Manufacturers Choose Tyres - Steveieb

I’ve noticed that premium manufacturers such as Mercedes are fitting mid range tyres as OEM.

Especially Hankook which I rate.

My daughters Mazda 3 SE came with Toyo tyres which I have found are made in Japan, so saving transport. Little known here and expensive because of the exchange rate, but seem to get good reviews .

How do Manufacturers Choose Tyres - alan1302

I don't think it is all price - they could put a much cheaper tyre on the car - but if you picked up a new Audi and had some 'Autogreen Sport Chaser' tyres on then would you be happy?

Obviously not: but they no doubt have a range of tyre makes that they choose from, and go out to tender every so often. All three Skodas that I had came on Continentals.

How do Manufacturers Choose Tyres - mcb100
Tyres can be bought with a car manufacturer’s code embossed in the sidewall - a star indicates it’s a BMW OE tyre, JLR is a Jaguar/Land Rover tyre, MO is for Mercedes, and many more.
I haven’t been able to ascertain whether a JLR marked Pirelli P7 is of a different construction or compound to an Audi marked one (I inherited an Audi Pirelli on my Jaguar), or a non-embossed one, but if you are suitably fastidious you would stick to having suitably approved tyres on your car.
How do Manufacturers Choose Tyres - Brit_in_Germany

One important consideration nowadays is the rolling resistance since it affects the CO2 rating of the car. Jaguar had a recall for their XF to fit more efficient tyres, presumably because with those originally fitted the car did not meet the quoted value.

How do Manufacturers Choose Tyres - skidpan

We have bought 3 Skodas in the last 3.5 years.

2017 Superb came on 215 55 17 Pirelli

2018 Fabia came on 215 45 16 Bridgestone

2020 Superb came on 215 55 17 Michelin

Seems to me it changes over time. Probably down to availability and price.

How do Manufacturers Choose Tyres - Andrew-T

I'd have thought car makers would contract for (say) 50,000 tyres from the best bidder, working in the same way as fleets to extort a good deal. I doubt that every example of a particular model would hit the road with identical tyres.

I recall the question was prompted by a front set of Dunlop's only lasting 15k on a Toyota Verso. The subsequent Michelins lasted longer.

Good to see you back afrter nine years, ndr116. Do stay with us.

How do Manufacturers Choose Tyres - industryman

I'd have thought car makers would contract for (say) 50,000 tyres from the best bidder, working in the same way as fleets to extort a good deal. I doubt that every example of a particular model would hit the road with identical tyres.

For a car manufacturer in the volume market 50,000 tyres would be enough to supply just one production line for typically less than 4 weeks. OE tyres are required in vast numbers, delivered to car production lines on a "just in time" basis, with no breaks in supply. It is therefore very good business for tyre manufacturers and the needs of the car manufacturers overrides those of the aftermarket. The volumes necessary dictate that more than one tyre manufacturer will be chosen to supply and the logistics of getting the tyres to the lines in the required numbers at the right time are very important to the contract decision.

Price is also a factor and it will obviously be much lower than retail. With high volumes and an assured continuous demand the tyre manufacturer can cut margins and, since they deliver direct to the car manufacturer, there are no wholesalers and retailers adding their profits on top.

OE tyres are usually specifically tailored to the application and undergo a lengthy development and approval process with the tyre manufacturer's engineers working with the car manufacturers engineer's to arrive at a specification which passes all the tests and can be signed off for production. Usually a number of different tyre sizes and types will be needed for a car model in its various specifications and all of these will need to be approved separately. The costs involved are huge so the car manufacturer will only do this with a few previously selected tyre suppliers. For very low volume car models, only one tyre manufacturer may be chosen prior to design and development of the vehicle due to the costs involved. Historically, the only OE specification tyres clearly marked for specific vehicle fitments were those with characteristics critical to performance (typically for rear or mid-engined sports cars), but recently this practice has been adopted more widely by car makers. Alternatively an OE tyre specification can be identified by the relevant product code (for those "in the know")

There is an obvious conclusion to the question asked. A mainstream car maker does not buy tyres on an "ad hoc" basis based on price and availability. The constraints imposed by car design/development/pre-production testing and meeting the requirements of legislation, followed by just in time supplies to a production line mean that tyre suppliers are chosen at the beginning of the process. The decisions will be based on a tyre maker's ability to provide all that is required and contracts are drawn up accordingly. With such high costs involved in the approval process plus the demands of legislation, it is rare that alternative tyres would be considered once a car is in production until there is a significant model change or facelift.

How do Manufacturers Choose Tyres - Manatee

There is clearly an element of promotion for the tyre manufacturer in having its tyres fitted as original equipment. Many customers will replace them like for like, and whether they do or not, it reinforces the idea in the buyers' minds that the tyres must be of high quality.

Car manufacturers will not in general want to fit tyres that perform badly or are not considered premium or upper mid rank.

Beyond that, it's logically the deal.

There's also something odd goes on with tyre sizes. two of the three cars in this household have tyres in sizes that are not very widely available and are typically expensive compared with other sizes in the same general range. I have a feel that the tyre sizes form part of the discussions around tyre choice and supply prices.

There are dedicated tyres for some models. My Outlander III came with Toyo R37 tyres, specifically made for the Outlander. Tyres from Conti, Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone, etc.are available in this size.

The R37 is not available in any other size. I suspect the reason for the existence of this tyre is a commercial wheeze rather than technical, although I have to admot that they performed very well on the car. I recently replaced them with Goodyear Efficient Grip SUV because I couldn't turn them down at the price from Costco on a Black Friday deal; it's early days but I don't think they feel quite as secure as the R37, which surprises me

How do Manufacturers Choose Tyres - SLO76
Not hugely relevant but a weird fact I learned when I joined Stagecoach as a driver and mentor was that bus companies often lease the tyres on their vehicles. An annual figure is agreed and the tyre manufacturer supplies and maintains the fleets tyres.