dipstick not replaced - ajsdoc
Just a quick question. Car back from MOT recently and on checking oil I found dipstick not replaced and lying in engine compartment. A little bit of oil looks to have been lost but level still fine. Usually a good garage and not too worried - these things happen. 2 questions - why is dipstick removed for MOT (could just have been checking oil anyway) and does running car without dipstick cause problems other than a small amount of oil loss (it only did about 50 miles before I checked)?

Thanks in advance

dipstick not replaced - LeePower
Could have removed the dipstick to insert the temp sensor probe for the emissions testing machine.
dipstick not replaced - Simon
They used to stick a probe down the dipstick tube to ensure that the engine was up to the correct temperature when they checked the emissions. I don't know whether they still do, but I suspect this is why your dipstick had been removed.
dipstick not replaced - graham woods
They where dipsticks not placing it back. I hope you told them. At least you did not lose it. I wonder if the garage would have paid for a new one if it had vanished ? Graham.
dipstick not replaced - Aprilia
Leaving out the dipstick is very common after MoT's !! The dipstick is removed to drop in the oil temp sensor prior to emissions check. Always check its been put back after an MoT.
My mate left a dipstick out on one car - belonged to a VOSA inspector who was doing a routine undercover 'check up'. Only problem was he didn't discover it was missing until he got 'home' - which was about 100 miles away. My friend was somewhat embarrased.
Normally no lasting harm is done, but on some engines a fair amount of oil can be thrown out if its not noticed for a few days....
dipstick not replaced - slowdown avenue
one of my wifes friends, checked the oil in her husbands car, then couldnt find the hole to put it back in,,so just chucked it under bonnet and slammed down the lid. i woder would they admit that to a male.
dipstick not replaced - jc2
Most of the time,there will be a depression in the c/case-that's why you have a c/case ventilation system.Most of the time,it will suck air into the engine if the stick isn't there-a little may come out but harmless.
dipstick not replaced - Victorbox
As a side note my brother in law once had his '87 Astra returned with the dipstick bent at a right angle to the tube. We couldn't work out how they did that or that they couldn't be bothered to bend it back straight!
dipstick not replaced - Big Vern
As a side note my brother in law once had his
'87 Astra returned with the dipstick bent at a right angle
to the tube. We couldn't work out how they did that
or that they couldn't be bothered to bend it back straight!

Dipstick only just inserted into tube so sitting up proud and then the bonnet shut?