Non Starting MK1 Mondeo 1.8TD... Help !! - daveedwardsbb
Hi all...

Just to say, I am quite inexperienced with mechanics... as you wll soon tell...

I have a MK1 1.8TD Mondeo, that I'm having problems with.

About a week ago it conked out on me about 10 seconds after starting, and would not restart for about half an hour. Once restarted, it was fine for 2 days.

A few days later it just would not start (after being sat for a weeked). I changed the glow plugs this week, but no joy. It really isn't for starting. I've tried ignition on and off for a few minutes to heat plugs through, but nothing!

Realise it might be the relay, from what I've read. I do get what I assume to be a relay click 15 secs after ignition on...

I don't know which one is the glow plug relay - is it in the fusebox... if so what 'R' number is it???

I've had my multimeter on the plugs... They read 10V (ish) until relay click, then -0.2V after click.

I tried to measure amps... and it read 40A for about 3 seconds, then my meter just read 0, and I can't get a reading anymore... unless I've blown something in the meter ??

All wires look OK... anything else I can do to narrow this down?

Any ideas?

Cheers

Dave.

Non Starting MK1 Mondeo 1.8TD... Help !! - Screwloose
Dave

You don't need to narrow it down - they're working; you need to more widen it out.

Take a step backwards away from concentrating on the glowplugs and try pumping that black button on top of the filter housing. It should go hard after five or so pumps; then try starting it.

If it starts - but then stops - that priming diaphragm may be leaking; replace the filter housing [and filter.]

If you're unsure of the correct mounting of the filter; either get a secondhand unit from a breaker [risky] or take the filter unit complete to a garage and get them to assemble it, with a new filter, for you; or check the procedure in a Haynes manual..
Non Starting MK1 Mondeo 1.8TD... Help !! - daveedwardsbb
Cheers for that.

I tried pumping the black button. It went hard after 5 presses, and the car tried to start... it did actually start for a few seconds, but I couldnt hold it...

So I've just been and got it a new filter housing, and new filter. Reassembled all that, whacked it back on, and nothing!!! Just a load of smoke out of the exhaust. I've nearly flattened the battery again trying... and its definately got diesel in...

EVen tried pumping the new one, and that wouldnt start it either...

Any further ideas???

Cheers

Dave

Non Starting MK1 Mondeo 1.8TD... Help !! - injection doc
there is a pipe with a valve in it that runs from the filter housing to the pump, the valve is half way along the pipe ,you could try replacing that pipe,its a well known fault & ford normally keep it in stock. there are a 101 things it could be, early mondeos suffered with a control unit on the front of the pump failing causing the pump to be retarded. has the cam belt jumped a tooth ( quite common) has it got petrol in it!.I have to agree the filter housing is the most common problem with mondeos. Have you tried keeping the primer pumping whilst you are trying to start it?
Not so common & I cant remember whether your pump has one but on most inlets on the diesel pumps there is a microfin filter under the banjo where the inlet goes in! these do block and have to be lifted out very carefully & with utter cleanlyness.
hope this helps with a way to go