matiz - Air lock in cooling system ? - graham woods
Hi all. Can any one out there please give me advice on this. About 10 days ago my car (Daewoo matiz 1999 800cc) sprang a water hose leak,replaced new hose, topped up with antifreeze and water, which cured it. Now my heater blows just luke warm instead of hot. It was fine before the leak. I think i have an air lock in the system and believe that there is no air lock valve on this model to bleed it. Any ideas please. This topic was mentioned a while ago, but i cannot find it. Any help or advice please. Thanks, Graham.
matiz - Air lock in cooling system ? - L'escargot
The problem may be due to the fact that the top of the coolant reservoir is lower than the heater. A possible solution is to make a temporary extension to the reservoir to raise the level of the coolant while the system bleeds itself. You'll probably need to get a spare coolant reservoir cap , drill a hole in the centre, and connect this to the bottom of, say, a plastic bottle. Fit this extension reservoir in place of the original cap and fill to the top. Set the heater to maximum temperature. It will help if you rev the engine up a bit. It may also help if you blank the radiator completely and allow the car to idle until the thermostat is well and truly open ~ this would have been easier in summer but beggars can't be choosers. If you try this, let us know how you get on.
--
L\'escargot.
matiz - Air lock in cooling system ? - L'escargot
The problem may be due to the fact that the top
of the coolant reservoir is lower than the heater.

I'm not familiar with the Matiz so I don't know whether or not this applies. It certainly applies to the Citroen ZX. The reason this sort of thing occurs (i.e. reservoir lower than heater) is that the trend for the front of the bonnet to be low limits the height to which the top of the coolant reservoir can be.
--
L\'escargot.
matiz - Air lock in cooling system ? - jc2
Put the heater to "full hot" with the fan "off"-then hold the engine revs at about 4,000 rpm for 30 seconds.The return hose from the heater should then feel as hot as the supply hose.You need to get the maximum water flow thro' the heater matrix to get rid of any trapped air.
matiz - Air lock in cooling system ? - jc2
It is better if this is done before the thermostat is fully open as this forces the maximum water flow thro' the heater circuit.Make sure the pressure cap is firmly on as lack of pressure in the system will delay the purging of the air.
matiz - Air lock in cooling system ? - graham woods
Hi guys, Thanks so much for the replys. Today i decided to give it a 15 mile blast up the motorway, and it blew warm are out all the time, although blew a bit cooler when i came of the motorway. I am now wondering if the airlock is now clearing slowly ? What do you think ? should i leave it and see what happens ? Thanks again, Graham.