Lexus IS/Toyota Altezza - Surrey_Scientist
Two questions about grey-import IS200s (badged Toyota Altezzas)

(A) Quite like the look of theIS200/300 estate, but they are mega-expensive here so thought of grey-import.

But doing an autotrader National search there are no estate Altezzas - were the estates only made for the european market or people just don't bother bringing the imports in ?

(B) The towing limit of even the IS300 is only 1200kg - why so low for a 3.0i car when even a 2.0 mondeo has 1500kg ??

. Is it a transmisson/enngine strength or bodyshell strength issue, or are Ford overoptimistic. Just My sister has a caravan I'd like to borrow, and I think it is 1100kg unladen....
Lexus IS/Toyota Altezza - cardriver
Towing capability is relative to the weight of the vehicle doing the towing - if you know what I mean.
So a light weight car with a powerful engine (which is what you have suggested above) would not be good for towing.
I have not checked but from what you are saying I would guess the Mondeo is a heavier car than the IS/Altezza.
Lexus IS/Toyota Altezza - peterb
I used to have an IS200 and enjoyed it.

Google "Lexus Owners Club" and go to the UK IS200 and Imports forums. They'll give you chapter and verse.