Oil changes - peugeot eurobus - taxi man
I have a peugeot eurobus (taxi), that has been converted from a peugeot expert. I have spoke to other drivers with a eurobus and some say that they go through turbo's on a regular basis, 3 turbos in 105,000miles, this was not of too much concern as they were all replaced under warranty, but as the warranty lapses, the cost is down to the driver.

I looked on the internet and found something about the EGR Valve becoming gunged up and causing the turbo to fail. However, this was not specific to this vehicle, it was a general finding. The remedy to this was to have more frequent oil changes ie 6,000mls instead of the recommended 12,000mls. Has anyone had ant experience or knowledge of this?
Oil changes - Screwloose
taxi man

Turbo failure is fairly rare on the later HDi's. Use semi-synthetic oil from one of the big oil companies; [not TV-hyped rubbish] change every 6-8,000, drive it hard and there really shouldn't be a problem.

Taxi drivers have always been clued-up about regular oil changes, so 3 turbos in 105,000 is very odd; any idea whose oil was being used and the change intervals? The early HDi turbo runaways involved a lot more than just new turbos, so knowing exactly what failed would be informative.
Oil changes - taxi man
i will find out the service intervals and the type of oil used.
Oil changes - taxi man
The oil being used is semi-synthetic 10w 40 and the service intervals are the reccommended 12,000mls.
Oil changes - Screwloose
taxi man

Tell them to chop the service intervals down or use fully-synth. 12K is pushing it on semi.
Oil changes - taxi man
i will pass this on. i will take your advice also and use semi synthetic as thats what the peugeot garage use, but get it serviced every 6,000mls.

i feel that as a taxi it may do a certain mileage and it is serviced on that basis, but it does not take into account that it is idling at the rank a lot, where in theory as a tractor it will fall into a service schedule based on hours of work, for the time idling.

one final point, as my taxi has only done 3,000mls at the moment, should i let it go to 12,000 before it's first service, as many people reccommend that for the first, then 6,000mls thereafter, or 6,000mls for all.
Oil changes - Screwloose
t-m

I've never liked seeing a new engine still have it's running-in oil in it after 1500mls. Change at 6,000 - if not before.
Oil changes - mss1tw
Taxi man, I'm almost positive I rememer reading a long time ago that leaving a turbo diesel idling for a long time isn't good for them. Something to do with the seals was the reason I think...
Oil changes - taxi man
mss1tw

it's probably not a good idea in an ideal world, but when its absolutly freezing outside, the tendancy is to keep the engine running for some heat. i will change the oil every 6,000mls to compensate for the sitting around and hope that this will keep the engine etc in good order.
Oil changes - mss1tw
Oh I agree, perfect theory never translates well to real life.

Might be worth looking at fitting a diesel powered Kenlowe heater or similar though?
Oil changes - taxi man
Screwloose

i recall some time ago, i read an article that said, keep the oil in for the first service to let the engine bed in properly. after the first service then reduce the service intervals for good maintenance. i feel that the type of driving a taxi is getting, where it is accelerating constantly in town work, the conditions are never stable and therefore the engine will be run in at 6,000mls. i will get the oil changed at that stage and keep to the 6,000mls intervals.

thanks for the input.
Oil changes - Screwloose
t-m

I've never doubted the advice that I was taught many years ago. Run-in a new engine on normal mineral [or semi - only if essential] for 1000 miles and then change to the best oil for that particular usage.

If the piston rings haven't bedded-in by 500 miles, then they never will and the engine will drink oil all it's life. Do not let an engine idle for long periods during running-in; it will glaze the bores. Just work it fairly normally - preferably in as many different ways as possible.

It's interesting to see the detailed commissioning instructions that come with quality re-con engines; they make a very explicit point about not running-in on synthetics.

This is being proved all-too-true by current oil-use problems on many makes that have been run-in on fully synth. It's just TOO good; it stops full ring-to-bore contact and the resultant problems are plain to see.

Oil use between services had become almost a thing of the past; it's back...