Clio not starting and low idle speed. - almac
We have a 2002 Clio 1.2 16v, which was bought last October. On a number of occasions it has failed to start. When the ignition key is turned there is just silence, no noise from the starter motor, no turning over or anything.
If it is left for an hour or two it will start and then continue for a few weeks.

Not related but for the past week or two it seems to idle very roughly although it does not stall. The idle speed is about 500 rpm.

It is still under a warranty from the dealer it was bought from.

Thanks for your help.
Alan.
Non starting Clio and low idle speed. - Altea Ego
key is turned there is just silence, no noise from the starter motor, no turning over or anything

Its electrical then. Assuming the warning lights come on when you turn the key, can you hear a "click" when you try to start the car?

Check the connections on the battery are all tight, and the big thick wires are all tight at both ends,
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Non starting Clio and low idle speed. - Bill Payer
I think there are lots of threads that sound like this - ie:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=47335
Non starting Clio and low idle speed. - almac
TVM,
Yes there is a click, the digital clock and radio go of I assume in preparation for the starter motor to do its work.
I will re-check the battery connections next time it happens.
Thanks,
Alan
The 'coil pack' has been replaced and that has cured the idle problem. The crank shaft sensor has also been replaced but unfortunately we still have the intermittent starting problem.
What could it be that always cures itself either in a few hours or as happened at the weekend 36hours?
Thanks.
Alan.
Non starting Clio and low idle speed. - sails north
hi almac, basically its your your starter motor. its the brushes not making proper contact. either replace starter or give it a tap in the middle using a hammer. obviously replacement is the most reliable option.
Non starting Clio and low idle speed. - jc2
Not necessarily brushes-I've had problems with the contacts in the solenoid but fix will be the same;I took the solenoid apart and cleaned the contacts-probably a bit too much for most people.
Thanks for the replies, at the risk of showing extreme ignorance is the solenoid part of the starter motor and if not would it make sense to do both at the same time?
Thanks.
Alan