VW Golf mk iv Quality - DF
I bought a 1.6 (105bhp) Golf in '00 expecting top-notch quality from VW. Since buying the car I have had a number of small problems that, although not major, left the feeling that the actual quality did not quite match the brand image.

- Boot flooded from broken rear washer
- Rear seats flooded from broken rear washer pipe in roof
- Used 1L of oil in first 7K (has not needed any since then)
- Rear light bulbs replaced 3 times with only 12K on the clock

(Dealer has been great - dealt with all issues quickly)

I have read a lot of similar posts from other VW owners - I am considering buying a new A4 1.9TDi next year and am wondering if Audis suffer from the same issues? Any feedback from A4 owners would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Re: VW Golf mk iv Quality - Andy Bairsto
The best built most reliable car over a three year period in Germany authenticated by the TÜV was the Ford Focus the VAG rubbish were number five just behind Fiat.
Re: VW Golf mk iv Quality - Mark
I am in my Warranty office here at a VW dealer. Washer leak common problem due to freezing up or jet blocked by crud or low quality screenwash:forces pipe joins apart. Lots of small niggling problems now on VW / AUDI products.In UK brand marketed as something special,high customer expectations, not so in Europe where cars are not placed on a pedestal by owners & marketing agencies. Backup from VW & dealers is comprehensive as is goodwill programme.
Re: VW Golf mk iv Quality - David W
I think Mark is right. I've said before VW were streets ahead of the mainstream in the 70/80s but they seem to have slipped a bit and others risen quickly to meet them.

DFs problems have been niggly and still worth putting up with for a well regarded car.

David
Re: VW Golf mk iv Quality - Marcus
My mate has a T plate Golf 1.6SE with loads of little niggles - turns out it was made in BRAZIL ???? look at the VIN number there is a code on there from which you can decipher the plant that built it. a long time ago someone on here gave a list of how to interpret these.

Marcus
Re: VW Golf mk iv Quality - T.Lucas
If you want build quality and reliability buy Toyota.
Ford FOCUS the best build quality in Europe
Re: VW Golf mk iv Quality - Trevor Potter
Not according to J D Power report.

YES - Focus is as good as Golf - BUT both are average.

Honda Accord (Swindon) or Nissan Primera (Sunderland) are MUCH better.

I quote from J D Power 2001:-

"Nissan Primera -
The most efficient car plant in Europe produces a robust, dependable family car that is easy on the wallet, if not the eye.
Heating / aircon can be iffy, but the Primera is a credit to Sunderland"
Re: VW Golf mk iv Quality - Mark
Must be a dodgy import. UK spec cars made in Germany & South Africa.
Re: VW Golf mk iv Quality - Tony
Do they make special top quality Focus for Europe?
Thee are loads of VwGolfs imported to europe from Brasil they are not dodgy it is simply the plants in Germany cannot cope.Plus they are probably better built than the German version.
Re: VW Golf mk iv Quality - Mahatma Coate
I run a Focus (among other things) and I am delighted with it. It does 800 miles a week and gets treated like dirt and it drives like a dream and ..... not a single problem to date. The VW predecessor was a complete pile of junk.

We simply don't buy VW's anymore - Golfs and a Beetle that we have run over recent years have been poor and dealer follow up has been of low quality.
Re: VW Golf mk iv Quality - Mahatma Coate
BTW - I tried an A4 Tdi (130) for a few hundred miles a while back. I thought it was pretty awful, very noisy, "sports" seats that were very uncomfortable and quite a few squeaks and rattles.

I was going to buy an A4 until then but even Audis seem to be declining in quality. Or has everyone else caught up?